RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2014, 01:16 PM   #1

Ceiling TV Issue (Help)

Trying to head off a possible problem before it creates a BIGGER problem. I have one of those ceiling TVs that hide out of the way and stored in the ceiling when not in use. Lowering it works OK. Raising it, it starting to stop, go, stop go. There is a long delay when you push the button to raise and lower it. Sometimes you have to press and button sever times to get it to work. I called the company that sells the motor and electronic board or switch and was told it cost $2,000. Give me a break!! Iím guessing itís a 12v motor and relay switch that powers the TV up and down. How much can a 12v motor be? I am sure if I can find a circuit diagram or schematic any good electrical shop should be able to fit it. Any ideas out there? I'm sure others have had problems like this and can head me in the right direction. Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2014, 07:52 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Some money-saving suggestions:

1) WRT "Sometimes you have to press and button sever times to get it to work." Clearly, the button will be the least expensive fix. Can you get to the back of the button to check its connections? And put a volt-meter on it to see what voltage (or ground) appears when you do finally get a "successful" push? I can go into more detail if you like.
2) The raising, then stop, then raising again may indeed be a costly fix. Often, the design engineer will integrate a motor over-amperage sensing circuit....and when such a circuit trips, power to the motor will be temporarily interrupted to prevent damage to the motor. Try this: When the TV is raising, give it a gentle assist by hand so that the motor isn't laboring as hard. If the motor is happy with this "assist", it won't stop, then start, then stop as you are experiencing now.

So with these two "troubleshooting efforts", getting back to this forum with your observations may indeed save you $2000.
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:59 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Is it possible for you to remove the motor, check it out, tear it apart, clean it, re-lube it, bench test it, re-install it and see what happens.....Just a thought.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:56 AM   #4

Robi1014: I'll start there, item #1 based on your suggestion. Will be a couple of days before I can get to it. Just arrived in Mission, TX and usually takes a couple of days or so to resupply and get settled. Item #2 I've tried and doesn't seem to help.

Palehorse: I agree. Seems that would be an option worth trying. I will look around and see if I can find a manual or something that shows where and how the motor and mechanism are located. I'm sure its somewhere in the ceiling around the opening...

Thanks much.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:29 AM   #5

Recon4, I'm going to try to put an attachment on this post that might help!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 06 TV Lift Mechanism Trouble Shooting.pdf (465.0 KB, 96 views)
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:11 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Recon4 here is another file for a different TV lift system. Monaco sometimes used different items in the same year and same model. They had to use what was available.

TV Lift Mechanism.pdf

Dave
Old 01-13-2014, 10:04 AM   #7

Thanks Jim!
Thanks Dave!
Got both of them. Honestly, what would we all do without iRV2? This is an amazing group! Thanks again.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:11 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Great feedback from others. One PDF states that the motor is AC powered. So Recon, even tho the hand-assist doesn't eliminate the start-stop-start, I'm starting to think that there is a auto-reset fuse that is failing (due to what the fuse perceives as a "high current" condition). So this fuse pops open (the motor stops), then cools, and then resets (the motor drives a little bit). This reasoning is consistent with the fact that the TV lowers in one continuous movement OK.

So (again: offering troubleshooting options), it would be ideal to know if the auto reset fuse is on the circuit board .... or actually inside the AC motor (if indeed your motor is AC). Or if the motor is DC, everything I write pretty-much still holds true. When the TV is raising, a multimeter measuring the motor's input voltage will tell us where the open circuit is occurring. Wouldn't it be great if this were simply a failing connector plug???
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling