RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2020, 02:13 PM   #1

Ceramic Tile Question

2009 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 41 SQK

I have 5 or 6 broken ceramic tiles and I have 5 spare tiles under the bed. Not sure how hard or how big of a job replacing just broken tiles would be or if it's worth it. I thought i read somewhere that you could go over the top of ceramic tile with some of the the new vinyl floor plank flooring. I don't see how it would work since you would not be going against a smooth surface, plus you would be adding to the thickness of the floor where the slides ride. I know flexing cases broken tiles and not sure if I should be looking there first or if it's the nature of the beast. The tiles are light color and the cracks don't show real bad but I see them and wish I didn't.
Barrowsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2020, 02:51 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
It`s not that big of a deal if you take your time & follow my directions -- I`ve done this job several times -- First, get a grout saw -- They are about the size of a utility knife & don`t cost much @ HomeDepot -- Remove the grout around the tile -- This is am important step -- If you don`t remove the grout, the adjoining tile is subject to crack when you break the bad tile -- Second, get a masonry bit ( 1/2 inch if possible) & drill a hole in the middle of the broke tile -- Third, start breaking the old tile from center out -- The wood floor is made of Chip Board, so chunks of it will come up with the broke tile - Don`t get excited about that -- The Thin Set will take care of the voids - HomeDepot sells a FLEX THIN SET -- It`s made for such things as RV tile install -- Mix it according to directions -- Don`t get it to thin -- After it dries, apply the grout -- Grout comes in sanded & non sanded & many colors -- Use non-sanded grout if the grout lines are about 1/8th wide --After you get the tile spaced where you want them, use blue tape & secure them in place - Sometimes tile will drift some when wet -- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 03:58 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I usually use pennies for spacers -- Thin set will probably ooze up between the tile -- Remove that before it dries -- A real chore after it dries -- Remove the grout from surrounding tile so when you grout, it will blend in -- The grout probably won`t match, but after some use, it will --
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:20 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrowsm View Post
2009 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 41 SQK

I have 5 or 6 broken ceramic tiles and I have 5 spare tiles under the bed. Not sure how hard or how big of a job replacing just broken tiles would be or if it's worth it. I thought i read somewhere that you could go over the top of ceramic tile with some of the the new vinyl floor plank flooring. I don't see how it would work since you would not be going against a smooth surface, plus you would be adding to the thickness of the floor where the slides ride. I know flexing cases broken tiles and not sure if I should be looking there first or if it's the nature of the beast. The tiles are light color and the cracks don't show real bad but I see them and wish I didn't.
If your going to do repairs, follow what Bill W said. He knows what he's doing.

If you're going to put something down instead, tear out all the tile and start fresh. Tearing it out is very difficult, time consuming and messy.

Don't plan on getting any more matching tiles. I searched for 2 years before I gave up and tore my tile out.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:46 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
There is a reason you have broken tiles. I would work on correcting that before you replace the tiles as they will break again.
Tear the whole business up and put engineered wood in. This stuff works. I know.