Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2013, 06:40 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie300s View Post
Mine is rear radiator with a single Nelson 84365A filter (per the manual, not verified).
Mine is like that - one small filter. Have replaced it twice.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2013, 07:56 AM   #16

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
Guys we need to be careful here. The original poster does not have a side radiator coach and thus will not have a hydraulic fan. In that respect he has a smaller filter. As to if he has AW46 or transmission fluid I don't know and Monaco was all over the map on this one. Our system has the AW46.

Bob

Fair point Bob. Well received. I was just trying to issue a warning to all that these can get very expensive. Apologizes to all.
thrushl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:00 AM   #17

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelcarm View Post
I have a side rad 2004 Monaco Camelot 350 ISC. I just changed hydraulic filters, there is 3 in my RV all the same type. The fluid was red in colour, not motor oil, here where I am in Canada it takes the Dexron 111 {spelling?] as temperature can get cold. As to the pump I only know it probable is the original. I have 40000 plus miles on the coach, to my knowledge this is first change out. It was needed now, as it did have a smell to it that was strong compared to the oil that was pumped out. No change that I could see as to steering effect. Filters in the usa are about $9 dollars each. Here in Canada I paid $30.00 each. Purchased at local heavy truck dealer. Oil I had so I cannot price that. Filters are Nelson 84101B,side fan is also powered from this oil filter source on my coach.Ryder Fleet Products USA have the filters. It is a very easy job to do.
Good Luck
rebel

Heck Rebel, I'm an American but I work for the RCMP in Ottawa. That said, I live in the states most of the time. Don't ask how all this happened - it's hard to explain.

Regardless, with the price difference on filters, maybe I should send you a few next time.... :-) Eh?
thrushl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:00 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Got the job done yesterday. Mine had 1 filter in a BIG canister with 15W-40 motor oil, just like the book said. Still don't know why it said to refill with Dex III but I used the same Delo 400 I have in the motor.

The filter change was easy, just pumped out the old oil from the canister with a little hand pump.

I changed the Serpentine belt at the same time since the whole purpose was to quiet a loud hiss that had developed when turning the steering wheel at slow speeds. It seems quieter now just sitting still in my barn but later today I'll move the coach out and see if the hiss is actually gone or at least better.

I bought 2 filters at a local NAPA for $14 each, then stopped at another NAPA about 20 miles away to get the third. It cost $8.33. When I told the parts gut about the difference he apologized, saying that both stores are actually owned by the same person. Go figure.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:21 PM   #19

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrushl View Post
Heck Rebel, I'm an American but I work for the RCMP in Ottawa. That said, I live in the states most of the time. Don't ask how all this happened - it's hard to explain.

Regardless, with the price difference on filters, maybe I should send you a few next time.... :-) Eh?
Thanks for the offer, maybe next year at change time.
rebelcarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:13 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
I just changed the hydraulic filter in my 2007 Diplomat. It appears to have motor oil in the reservoir. Smells like motor oil and looks like the right color for motor oil. I used a WIX 51487 filter.

Regards from the Gem & Mineral Show in Tucson,
Luke
Lukeaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:33 PM   #21

I removed the Three Filters for the Hydraulic system the other day. My MH is a 2001 Dynasty with the side radiator and the cylinder reservoir in the rear. The fluid is Dexron lll and I will need some to top it off or replace what is in the Reservoir, the fluid was clean and did not smell. I only found Dexron lll Fluid which is now Dexron/Mercon. The Allison Engineer Tom Johnson and others have been adamant about not using Mercon due to possible Viton seal damage. I am afraid of Damge to that all important "unavailable" fan motor that was mentioned at the beginning of this thread.
I wonder if I should just add the Dex/Mercon which although not the same as the Dex only but will is only a small percentage of the 5 Gallon total ( I think 5 Gallons is the total) or change all the fluid to Dexron/Mercon to avoid reaction between the different fluids. Or search the stores for old stock Dexron lll which seems to have been the Monaco choice in 2001 for Dynasty.
I have posted this same question in a number of threads, I am just trying to get a large sampling of experiences.
thanks
Barrier
Old 07-18-2015, 10:01 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I don't know if you can get real Dexron III
Dexron VI
introduced in 2005, and was first used as the GM factory-fill automatic transmission fluid for model year 2006. All Dexron-III licenses expired permanently at the end of 2006, and GM now supports only Dexron-VI fluids for use in their automatic transmissions,[3] although fluids asserted by their manufacturers to meet Dexron-III standards continue to be sold under names such as Dex/Merc. These fluids are not regulated or endorsed by GM.[4]

Jeff
2001 Dynasty Regent tag axle
Cummins 350 8.3 ISC
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 02:54 PM   #23

Mack trucks also use motor oil for their power steering fluid. I would use only what the manual says to use. The type oil depends on the type of pump you have. Just as a note of interest Mack trucks use motor oil because the power steering pump is built into the front of the motor and if a internal seal was to fail then it would not damage the motor by filling the crankcase with ATF.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 04:21 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Luke,
My 07 Diplomat uses 15w40 as does Paul Kenneweg's. Found this out when I changed out the steering gear to the TRW, and when we did Paul's.
Roy
Old 06-30-2016, 03:34 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Change Power Steering Filter & Fluid

How often do you change your Power Steering Filter & Fluid. Every year, every other or ???

Thanks in advance,

Dan Hopkins
RV Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluid, power, steering