Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2021, 10:55 PM   #1

Changing a tire procedure?

Long story short I had my windshield come out of the seal and it looks like 2k to have it reset.

I used my jacks to raise the coach off the ground in the rear....

Lesson learned the hard way!!!!

So after the event in question I grabbed the manual and sure enough there's nothing in it for changing a tire.

So when I take my coach to a tire shop again or god forgive on the side of the road to have a tire fixed I had the front tires replaced a couple of months ago and the tire guy just put jacks under the front axle and jacked the tires off the ground, didn't seem like he had a care about twisting the frame.

What is the proper procedure for jacking up the coach on any corner?

thanks
Bob
Snokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2021, 10:23 AM   #2

Lifting under the axle, with two jacks , puts no more strain on the frame than with tires sitting on the ground .

It's the leveling jacks mounting location , that strains the frame .
Old 06-03-2021, 10:39 AM   #3

$2000 to reset a windshield? Ridiculous. Someone's trying to cash in on your insurance company.
I've raised my wheels off the ground for various service jobs but never just one end at a time. All four corners lifted at the same time in small steps.
Find an honest glass shop.
Old 06-03-2021, 10:49 AM   #4

I just had 2 new tires installed on the front of my MH. The service advisor asked me if I'd use my jacks to lift the front. I declined, so they used 2 jacks and raised the front equally at the same time.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 11:23 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I didn’t let them use my jacks to lift my coach when I replaced my tires either. Some 2004-2005 coaches had issues with windshields popping out or developing stress cracks. I’m not exactly sure of the exact years. There was a windshield reinforcement retrofit. There are plenty of threads about it here.
Old 06-03-2021, 11:31 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Here’s a link to a thread about the issue.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/mon...eld-97020.html
Old 06-03-2021, 11:49 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
When I had my Monaco, it specifically says not to use the jacks to change tires.
Old 06-03-2021, 11:56 AM   #8

I can see how raising one tire a foot off the ground twists the frame...

But raising it a couple inches is an issue too?

Isnt your frame experiencing the same forces anytime you hit a pothole, small incline, curb, etc?
bpu699 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 01:19 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
It depends on where you lift from. The tires are lifting the frame through the air bags (2 per tire). The jacks are directly attached to the frame, one in front and two in the rear. Its important to lower the front jack first, then the two rear jacks equally.

Most of the larger coaches are leveled with automatic air leveling using the air bags.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 02:59 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
I can see how raising one tire a foot off the ground twists the frame...

But raising it a couple inches is an issue too?

Isnt your frame experiencing the same forces anytime you hit a pothole, small incline, curb, etc?
Like Vito said... the difference is where the lifting occurs.
With jacks lifting the frame, it starts by reliving weight from the axle, unloads the suspension to the end of its travel and then eventually lifts the tire off the ground. So you've got to lift the frame a long way before it starts to raise the tire off the ground. Lots of twisting...
If you lift directly under the axle, the suspension remains loaded and the tire/axle doesn't need to move very far before the tire is off the ground. Like driving over a bump.
Cheers,
Walter
Old 06-03-2021, 06:58 PM   #11

When I changed all of my tires I lifted the axle close to each wheel I was working on with a 22 ton air over hydraulic jack. Simple, effective and no problems.
Dave
Old 06-04-2021, 12:30 AM   #12

Thank you makes sense!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamcneil View Post
Like Vito said... the difference is where the lifting occurs.
With jacks lifting the frame, it starts by reliving weight from the axle, unloads the suspension to the end of its travel and then eventually lifts the tire off the ground. So you've got to lift the frame a long way before it starts to raise the tire off the ground. Lots of twisting...
If you lift directly under the axle, the suspension remains loaded and the tire/axle doesn't need to move very far before the tire is off the ground. Like driving over a bump.
Cheers,
Walter
Old 06-04-2021, 12:37 AM   #13

Having this being my first time with a popped windshield I called National rv glass. The guy quoted me the 2k if they don't break the glass removing it. 3500.00 if they break the glass, plus 6-8 weeks to get the work done.... I needed to be in a new area so after much reading I decided to drive it as is, The gap got better with driving but has since opened up again after leveling at the campground.... The area I'm in he said he doesn't have an installer, so I'm going to wait till I can get to Duncan I haven't called them yet so I don't know their price....

I do agree 2000.00 to take an old windshield out and reinstall it seems very high.... Pretty much all labor what 2 guys 2 hours? Seems like I was in the wrong line of work till I retired!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
$2000 to reset a windshield? Ridiculous. Someone's trying to cash in on your insurance company.
I've raised my wheels off the ground for various service jobs but never just one end at a time. All four corners lifted at the same time in small steps.
Find an honest glass shop.
Old 06-04-2021, 07:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snokid View Post
Having this being my first time with a popped windshield I called National rv glass. The guy quoted me the 2k if they don't break the glass removing it. 3500.00 if they break the glass, plus 6-8 weeks to get the work done.... I needed to be in a new area so after much reading I decided to drive it as is, The gap got better with driving but has since opened up again after leveling at the campground.... The area I'm in he said he doesn't have an installer, so I'm going to wait till I can get to Duncan I haven't called them yet so I don't know their price....

I do agree 2000.00 to take an old windshield out and reinstall it seems very high.... Pretty much all labor what 2 guys 2 hours? Seems like I was in the wrong line of work till I retired!!!!
Two days after I just had my drivers side windshield replaced I poped out my passenager side doing a little 4x4 when I shouldn't have been buts that's another story. Anyway I took it back to the same place where I paid $4000 Cdn (so about the same as it would cost you for a new one US) and it still cost me another $1000 Cdn to reset it and took them all day to do.

As for changing a tire, oil changes and greasing the front end I do use my jacks to lift the m/h and have never had any issues yet doing it that way. I have only done it on the front and do both jacks at the same time. Not saying anyone else should do it but it works for me on my m/h.

Tags
tire