Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2014, 10:53 AM   #1

Changing AquaHot Racor R12T fuel filter

I will be changing my AquaHot Racor R12T fuel water filter (never done it before). It is easy to get to, and right above the fuel tank on my Dynasty fuel bay. Is there anything exotic in making this change? Also, my current filter (the Racor R12T) has a drain line down from the bottom of the filter out of the basement to the ground. To bleed off the water, there is a white valve (?) with a screwdriver slot in it, and a nozzle that the drain line is connected to. I assume that I open the drain with the white valve with the screwdriver slot and let it drain through the connection to the drain line. However, maybe the drain opens by opening the black plastic value connected to the drain line.

Any help appreciated. Any advice generally on the process?

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2014, 05:43 AM   #2

Gary:
I have same setup on our navigator. No need to drain water now. With the AH off,of course, just R&R the filter element. Pouring clean diesel in the new element will eliminate most air in the system.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:18 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
On my Dynasty when I lay on the ground the filter is just out of my reach. I need to have something to prop me up. Be sure you check the bowl for contaminates and clean it when you replace the filter. When you put the new filters gaskets on lube them with a bit of clean diesel. The Aqua-Hot fuel pump is very powerful, it will easily prime itself and you can hear the fuel trickle into the tank from the return side.

Are you doing this as part of the annual service? There are other things to do if so. You will need a couple of inexpensive tools to make it easier. The J-bolts that hold the blower are 10mm and you will need about a 20" extension to clear the motor. The nozzle takes a 16mm wrench and thebase it screws into is slightly bigger, I forget the exact size. Correct procedure to tighten the nozzle it to tighten until snug then back off and retighten. The igniters need gapped with a tool that fits over the base nut. While you are there clean the flame sensor with a swab dampened alchohol. The burner liner and chamber needs to have the soot brushed off with a long handle brush.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:14 PM   #4

Jim and Stretch:

Thanks very much for the information. Stretch and Jim, what I think is my AquaHot fuel filter is sitting right near the outer curbside bay door, in my fuel bay. It is easy to get to. It is a Racor R12T water accumulating filter. My concern, which I think Stretch has reassured me is not a major problem, was to produce a loss of fuel suction or the firing of the diesel burner when I needed it. I have read the material here on iRV2 about changing Cummins fuel filters and the process of prefilling the new filter and it seems like this must be a similar process here.

Jim, it seems that although our Dynasty's are close in model year, our filters are in different places or I am looking at the wrong filter. My diesel is an ISL which they started to do sometime in the spring of 2001. I am pretty sure that my AquaHot filter is the R12T filter in the fuel bay.

Gary
Old 03-05-2014, 08:27 PM   #5

On the Beaver it has a Garber fuel filter, doesn't have all the water separator as the line in the tank doesn't draw off the bottom.
Just fill the new filter with clean fuel, lube the rubber gasket and spin it on and fire up the AquaHot to make sure you have no leaks.
Lee0920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:29 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Jim and Stretch:

Thanks very much for the information. Stretch and Jim, what I think is my AquaHot fuel filter is sitting right near the outer curbside bay door, in my fuel bay. It is easy to get to. It is a Racor R12T water accumulating filter. My concern, which I think Stretch has reassured me is not a major problem, was to produce a loss of fuel suction or the firing of the diesel burner when I needed it. I have read the material here on iRV2 about changing Cummins fuel filters and the process of prefilling the new filter and it seems like this must be a similar process here.

Jim, it seems that although our Dynasty's are close in model year, our filters are in different places or I am looking at the wrong filter. My diesel is an ISL which they started to do sometime in the spring of 2001. I am pretty sure that my AquaHot filter is the R12T filter in the fuel bay.

Gary
Gary, the R12T is used as the Aqua-Hot filter on my MH, too. Mine is on the driver side fuel tank bay. 2001 was a transition year for the Dynasty so you are likely in the right spot. Draining the filter will keep fuel from running down your arm. The bowl can be had with one or two holes. They are interchangable. Two holes gives you the option of having a water sensor and a drain. No worries about filling it with fuel, simply turn on the diesel burner after the change. The burner may not light, but if you listen t the fuel tank you can hear the fuel trickle back from the fuel pump in the burner. You will then hear the pause as the air is purged and then the fuel trickle again. If the burner did not light turn the diesel off. Wait 30 secs and turn it back on, this time it should light. If you intend to do the rest of the service then don't let it run to long or you will have to wait to let the burner cool before service.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:38 AM   #7

Thanks to all of you !!!

Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead...

Drive many safe miles

Gary

Tags
fuel