Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2012, 01:35 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Changing the oil filter on an onan

Question of the day, before I drive out to storage and awaken the beast. Do I need a special tool to get off the old oil filter on the generator. I noticed it was quite small. Thanks for the help!!!!
Tomandjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2012, 01:38 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomandjimmy
Question of the day, before I drive out to storage and awaken the beast. Do I need a special tool to get off the old oil filter on the generator. I noticed it was quite small. Thanks for the help!!!!
Try this. http://www.google.com/m/products/cat...ed=0CEcQ8wIwAg

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:41 PM   #3

It really depends on how much access you have to the generator and specifically the oil filter. The most universal answer is a strap wrench with a ratchet and extension.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomandjimmy View Post
I'm assuming you have the Onan 5500 gas powered generator. It does take a special size filter wrench. However you can remove it using a large slip joint pliers. You'll slightly crush the filter with the pliers but since
re replacing it anyway it shouldn't make any difference.

I doubt you'll be able to use a strap wrench on this model generator. It has a rubber boot that fits tight against the filter to keep road debris out. The boot comes to within about half an inch of the bottom of the filter

The biggest problem may be tightening the new filter. My hands are small enough and strong enough to do, but it's a difficult job without the special wrench.

The wrench makes the job a lot easier. It's available from the Cummins/Onan website.
http://www.cumminsonanstore.com/

You may also be able to get one from your local NAPA store. They sell filters and other parts for the generator.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:03 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs
I'm assuming you have the Onan 5500 gas powered generator. It does take a special size filter wrench. However you can remove it using a large slip joint pliers. You'll slightly crush the filter with the pliers but since
re replacing it anyway it shouldn't make any difference.

I doubt you'll be able to use a strap wrench on this model generator. It has a rubber boot that fits tight against the filter to keep road debris out. The boot comes to within about half an inch of the bottom of the filter

The biggest problem may be tightening the new filter. My hands are small enough and strong enough to do, but it's a difficult job without the special wrench.

The wrench makes the job a lot easier. It's available from the Cummins/Onan website.
http://www.cumminsonanstore.com/

You may also be able to get one from your local NAPA store. They sell filters and other parts for the generator.
Thanks!
Tomandjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:33 PM   #6

There is an easy way to handle this filter. As others have said, it takes an 'oil filter socket' tool to effectively remove and tighten this filter due to it's recessed location. A 65mm oil filter socket is close but was slightly too big to get a firm grip on the flutes on my old filter. The simple solution was to get some metallic heating duct tape at Home Depot and wrap two wraps about an inch wide around the exposed base of the old filter. That was enough to take up the slack. Using a hammer, I lightly tapped the oil filter socket up over the now taped end of the old filter. This provided the grip the socket needed to remove a very tight filter that hadn't been changed in awhile. No slipping strap wrenches, no screwdrivers through the filter, no chisels, etc. Clean and simple. Bite with the 65mm socket was sufficient to tighten up the new filter to where it doesn't leak.

Just make sure you get the oil filter socket that is strictly 65mm. They make a 72/65mm combo but the flutes on the 65mm portion of that one are too short to be effective. These socket is available at Advance Auto or similar stores.
Old 05-08-2015, 05:35 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Tight quarters sometimes make it hard to get the filter off of my 7500 onan.

If I have trouble with the filter cup wrench slipping on the filter I take a piece of sand paper, fold it in half so that the rough side is exposed on both sides, wrap it around the filter, slide the cup wrench on and twist off the filter.

With really tight filters I've actually taken a screw and put it through the cup wrench into the filter.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 05:41 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just use a large slip joint pliers.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 08:43 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the Onan tool, makes it easy.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 06:43 AM   #10

Any of these would probably work but the advantage of the furnace tape is that you have better control over the thickness that you need and it stays firmly in place, even as you are tapping the socket on with a hammer. I just used this method on a filter that was way past due for a change and was on very tight. Came off in about a minute.

I do like the sandpaper idea though.
Old 05-09-2015, 06:54 AM   #11

Thanks for all of the great ideas! I had trouble getting the filter off the first time I had to change it. Even took it to the Cummins dealer to get it off because I didn't want to ruin anything. If I get a sticky filter next time I'll use one of the good ideas posted above!
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:23 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
I just use a large slip joint pliers.
Same here.
SpursMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 05:41 AM   #13

Slip joint pliers certainly work in some cases; but on mine, I would have to lay on my back under the thing and try to work the pliers while dirt fell in my face. I'm OLD. The easier route for me was to use the furnace tape because I could kneel on a piece of cardboard in front of the genset and do everything by feel just reaching under. Call me lazy. But I also carry that roll of foil furnace tape with me for various emergencies so I already had it available. If I had to make a special trip to buy it, maybe I would have tried the pliers first.

So it seems what we have here is several possibly effective ways to remove these filters filters when they are on really tight. You choose based on our preference or work through the various methods until you get it loose. My only other caution would be that some of these are mutually exclusive. If you try the pliers and it bends up the flutes on the base of the filter but still doesn't remove it; the filter wrench and sandpaper/furnace tape may no longer be an option. JMHO.

Once I had my old filter off, I wire tied the 65mm wrench to the frame in the genset compartment so that it would always be available to me anytime I might need it for myself or a fellow camper. Wrench was about $6 at an auto parts store.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:36 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club

Tags
onan