Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2010, 12:11 PM   #1

Changing tire sizes...does it help?

I am going to be replacing the tires on my rig soon (2007 Monaco signature). It currently has 295/80-22.5 tires on it but I had read somewhere that going to a 315/80 improved the handling and the ride. I think Prevost uses this tire now.
According to the michelin website the 315 tire is an inch taller and .7 inches wider than the 295. It also is a heavier tire with 2260 lbs heavier load rating.

I thought about just changing the front tires to the bigger ones, or perhaps all of them.

Any suggestions? Anyone done this before?
pro517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2010, 12:38 PM   #2

I did exactly this one year ago. My '03 Sig had the same 295/80R22.5 that you have. I changed the steer tires to 315/80R22.5 Michelin XZA2 Energy. I balanced with durabeads. I have put about 6,000 miles on them and am happy with the switch. I dropped the tire pressure from 120 to 110. The coach handled great anyway so no big change there. The old tires had 70,000 miles on them with some chamfer wear and had started a viberation at about 50 mph. That is gone of course.

If your wheels are 8.25" then you have to derate the 315's about 4% because the Michelin inflation chart is based on 9" wheels.

I would do it again.

I will replace the drive tires in the next 30 days with 295's.

Safe travels,
Steve O
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:01 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
I did exactly this one year ago. My '03 Sig had the same 295/80R22.5 that you have. I changed the steer tires to 315/80R22.5 Michelin XZA2 Energy. I balanced with durabeads. I have put about 6,000 miles on them and am happy with the switch. I dropped the tire pressure from 120 to 110. The coach handled great anyway so no big change there. The old tires had 70,000 miles on them with some chamfer wear and had started a viberation at about 50 mph. That is gone of course.

If your wheels are 8.25" then you have to derate the 315's about 4% because the Michelin inflation chart is based on 9" wheels.

I would do it again.

I will replace the drive tires in the next 30 days with 295's.

Safe travels,
Steve O
Check to see if you'll need to recalibrate the speedo/odometer when you change the tires to those with larger diameter.
Ron
Old 04-02-2010, 03:02 PM   #4

Don't bother to check on speedo recalibration- you will need to recalibrate. Some Cummins outfits refer to this ECU setting or parameter as "revs" or revolutions per mile. It is easily resettable w/Cummins Insite software and maybe the tire shop will have the setup to keep the speedo and mileage correct. If they don't just find a shop that does; should be a minimum shop charge if you come equipped w/the new info. Cummins suggests making a chalk mark where the tire is tangent to the pavement, roll forward say 10 revolutions (Walmart or other large parking lot is a good place). Measure the distance and divide by 10 to get distance per rev. With this info the shop can plug in the appropriate speedo calibration number.

Now a question for those who put larger tires on: What did you do about ride height?
Old 04-02-2010, 07:20 PM   #5

So I take it that the speedo is driven off the front wheels then?

The michelin website lists the RPM (revolutions per mile) as 503 for the 315's and 492 for the 295's.

I think the new signatures have the 295 drive/tag and 315 steer combo.
pro517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 05:12 PM   #6

I have 295/80 Mitch. XZA2 tires on my 05 CAMELOT and when I dump the air the inside of the wheel well sits on the top of the tire. The larger tire would probably damage this.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:36 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post

Now a question for those who put larger tires on: What did you do about ride height?

Nothing, the larger tires dont change it. Ride height is a measurement of the air bags top plate to bottom plate on the newer coaches from the Box frame to the chassis frame on the older coaches.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 05:37 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
[QUOTE=pro517;622097]So I take it that the speedo is driven off the front wheels then?

No it is not, the spedo will not be changed with a size change on the front only.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 01:28 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
Don't bother to check on speedo recalibration- you will need to recalibrate. Some Cummins outfits refer to this ECU setting or parameter as "revs" or revolutions per mile. It is easily resettable w/Cummins Insite software and maybe the tire shop will have the setup to keep the speedo and mileage correct. If they don't just find a shop that does; should be a minimum shop charge if you come equipped w/the new info. Cummins suggests making a chalk mark where the tire is tangent to the pavement, roll forward say 10 revolutions (Walmart or other large parking lot is a good place). Measure the distance and divide by 10 to get distance per rev. With this info the shop can plug in the appropriate speedo calibration number.

Most tire mfgrs give you the distance per rotation value on their websites under the specs for that tire.
Ron
Old 04-14-2010, 03:26 PM   #10

Making the switch in the next couple of weeks. Had a customer at our tire store order 8 of the 315 XZA2's for his motorhome, but only took six as he had to buy some on the road. I'll get them cheap.

Interested to see how they work, they might explode instantly though as the were probably manufactured a year ago .

I'll take my chances I guess.