Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2022, 06:33 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Changing to 2000 Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter/Charger. What is the best way to go?

We want to exchange out existing modified inverter/charger to a pure sine wave so we can run a residential refrigerator. We have solar panels. What is everyone going to?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2022, 07:10 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I installed a Samsung RF18 which works with a MSW so I did not exchange my inverter.

There are a number of newer refrigerators. The ones that have an Inverter motor on it they will usually work with MSW inverter.

You might opt to install a smaller dedicated PSW just for the refrigerator. I actually installed a second PSW inverter to have as a backup. Since I had two circuits going to behind the refrigerator I took the one that was not on an inverter and rewired to be able to use it on inverter if I want.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 11:16 AM   #3

Agree with above. Can't see coach what you have in phone app. But if I was to spend $1000-1200 on. PSW I would spend extra to get a3000watt Victron Multiplus 2 for the 50 amp passthrough. But I boondock and use inverter genny a lot. It can hybrid boost what ever power you set it at off batts.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 01:07 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When I installed a residential fridge in my old Beaver, I installed a dedicated 1000 watt pure sine wave inverter and transfer switch just for the fridge. It was much cheaper than upgrading the original inverter. The system has worked flawlessly for the last 6 years.
Richard
hex nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 01:31 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
To respond to your original question, my first diesel pusher had a Heart inverter. When it died I replaced it with a Xantrex since Heart had been bought up by Xantrex. I was not happy with the quality of the Xantrex. My current motorhome has a Magnum. It has functioned flawlessly for the 6 years I have owned it. It has the Magnum automatic generator start and battery monitor system (optional features). All seem to be quality products. I have heard many good things about Victron products, but I have had no personal experience with them.
Richard

FYI Amazon has the Renogy 1000 watt pure sine wave inverter for $168 and the Xantrex automatic 15 amp transfer switch for $68. If I were doing it today, that is probably the way I would go. OR, if you have not purchased the fridge yet, look at the 12 volt DC powered fridges and avoid the double loss of converting from DC to AC and back to DC. Much more efficient.
hex nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 05:27 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Before you spend any $, really take a look at the Victron MultiPlus 2. (50 amp coaches or MultiPlus 1 for 30 amp coaches) Compared to the original equipment I had in this coach, it's really impressive. besides being a hybrid inverter/charger, It can work with solar, and all types of batteries. It has more abilities that I could mention here.

I see 153stars touched on it above.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 08:43 PM   #7

I ended up with an AIMS 3000 pure sine due to supply chain issues - and I've been pleased but kinda wish I waited for the Victron or Magnum. The remote is hardwired on the AIMS (seems like they should all have a wireless option) and I still have yet to snake that Ethernet cable up into the coach. The pass through feature alone on the Victron make it attractive. Also, I will never, ever own another Xantrex device. Every one I have ever owned or inherited has failed. Also #2 I am unclear on the residential fridge thing. I have a 2004 Norcold that runs 3 ways and have yet to burst into flames. As a boondocker I appreciate the flexibility.
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 09:29 PM   #8

On my 2000 Dynasty. I installed the Multiplus 3000 (this is before the Multiplus II came out) - I love it!

That’s about the only thing I would change is getting the II (and getting the Cerbo - instead of the CCGX - also not out when I installed it).

If getting a residential fridge , you will probably want to add some solar. I originally added 800w (four 200w panels) and a Victron mppt 100/50 with a new wire run. Later when I added the residential fridge (Fisher and Paykel), I replaced the 80w original solar panel with two 210w panels and replaced the original solar charge controller with a Victron 100/30 - used the original wires.
Rocketman3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger, inverter