Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2012, 09:39 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Charging batteries

I have moved to a new storage facility that has a 15 amp electric outlet. In the past I have always used the disconnect switches to disconnect the batteries when in storage. I now have the opportunity to plug in and keep the batteries charged(and possibly a small heater on). My question is do I need to leave the disconnect switches on or will the batteries still receive a charge with the disconnect switches off. Motor home is a 2009 Monaco Camelot. Thanks for any suggestions.
srx-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2012, 12:25 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The disconnects need to be on.

Also, switch off the inverter function (mine draws 9 amps idling!)
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:43 PM   #3

Agree disconnect switches will need to be on. I keep my coach plugged into a 15A outlet at my home with no problems. Make sure you check water level in the batteries very regularly, like every couple three weeks because you will need to add alot more distilled water to keep them topped off when constantly on the charger. I use the 15 amp outlet to keep the residential refrigerator on and the batteries charged.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertj1979 View Post
Agree disconnect switches will need to be on. I keep my coach plugged into a 15A outlet at my home with no problems. Make sure you check water level in the batteries very regularly, like every couple three weeks because you will need to add a lot more distilled water to keep them topped off when constantly on the charger. I use the 15 amp outlet to keep the residential refrigerator on and the batteries charged.
Robert
IMO, if you find you need to add battery water " every couple three weeks" , you should have the charger settings of your inverter/charger checked and changed.

My coach has been plugged in an average of 300 days/nights a year for the last 11 years., with the inverter/3 stage charger on all the time.
(The remaining days we are driving the coach or boondocking).
I find that I need to add less than 2 oz of distilled water per cell, (in the deep cycles), every 6 months.

FYI, I have 4 deep cycle 12v house batteries, and 2 maintenance free 12v chassis batteries.
I have never had battery problems, (other than the 1st set needed replacing at 11 years old).
The current batteries are almost 6 years old

Mel
'96 Safari Sahara, 128,000 miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:38 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertj1979 View Post
Make sure you check water level in the batteries very regularly, like every couple three weeks because you will need to add alot more distilled water to keep them topped off when constantly on the charger.
You can cut way down on that by adding mineral oil to the batteries, 2 oz per cell for 12 volt and 4 oz per cell for 6 volt batteries. I did it in 2004 to my house batteries and they lasted for 9 years and 11 months.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:41 PM   #6

Mel,
I can only say that I am using a device that fills all the cells of all four batteries to the proper levels at once and it is very easy to make sure that the batteries are topped off. I use this every two to three weeks and the four house batteries that are less than two years old seem to take water every use but not sure of the exact amount. I too have a three stage charger and everything appears to be operating normally but will keep a check on it.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:50 PM   #7

You will have to keep the inverter on cause it is the battery charger also. I agree with those who said you should not need to add water very often. If you do you are over charging and need to adjust the charge on the inverter panel

Tags
batteries, charging