Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2018, 11:54 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Charging Batteries with 8 Kw Onan

I have a 2008 Monaco Safari Simba 37PDQ with 330 Cat rear engine. I have 2 12V Chassis batteries and 4-6V deep cell batteries. When charging through the 3 stages should inverter be on or off while charging?

Thank you all for your help.
John Rilkoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2018, 12:52 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
It's our understanding that inverter power is not a concern. Turning the inverter on only when not running the generator or connected to shore power using the 'charged' batteries.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 02:16 PM   #3

If you have the manual check it or check the model of your Inverter and look it up on line. If you have a combination Inverter/converter that charges the batteries when on shore power and supplies 120 VAC when on battery you will probably leave it on and it will change operation as needed.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 02:16 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
If the genny is running or on shore power, it doesn’t matter as either not only charge the batts, it also provides 120v power to the coach.

The only time I turn on the inverter is driving down the road when 120v power is needed. The engine alternator keeps the batts fully charged. Then of course when boondocking. Then it stays on and run the genny when needed to top off the batts.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 03:08 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
So this might be completely wrong as I have Monaco RV but a different model:
On mine, the "alternator" on the generator only charges the engine battery (and probably not very much given how weedy it is).
What it does do is supply 240v to the charger-invertor which charges the house batteries whilst it's running and will also charge the engine battery via a split charge diode, it's supposed to be only a trickle charge but I suspect at a similar or higher rate than the generator's alternator.
ElvistheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 03:28 PM   #6

Generators, engine mounted alternators, if installed, were never designed to charge large batteries. Great if you have an independent generator battery but useless if you don't.

As mentioned, the generators 120 volt side powers a converter/charger, or if equipped, an inverter/charger to handle all of the charging.

As far as inverter/chargers, most will automaticly start charging the batteries, when shore or generator power is sensed. That's whether the inverter is on or off. Some have a switch or button to turn off charging. That needs to be on.

As far as bi-directional charging ( charging engine battery thru house system ) there are way to many devices, and ways its done, to say how any one RV does it.

All will charge the chassis and house batteries, while running down the road, but not all work the other way.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 05:22 PM   #7

Most inverters I believe go into bypass mode when they sense 120 volts from either shore power or the genny. As there is already 120 volts available, there is no need to be inverting 12 volt power. Therefore, there is no need to turn it off. My previous rv had a light that showed the inverter had electricity from a 120 volt source. The only time you need to turn it off, is when you dont have electricity available, and you dont require any, and maybe want to spare the batteries the wasted energy running the inverter for no reason. If you travel from rv park to rv park where you have power, you most likely would never shut it off. I would say more for boondocking where you are trying to save your batteries.
Old 10-25-2018, 06:41 AM   #8
YC1

http://www.metrotrekkers.org/utility/electrical.htm

Just for fun check this site out. It does not answer the question of the OP but is a great visual tool.

As for the inverter, I leave mine on because the Direct TV is on the inverter and when switching from generator to shoreline to alternator it usually stays happy and does not go through the 15 minute start up process.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, charging, onan