RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2017, 03:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
When I tested mine (0.73v across the poles) the coach side was 14v. The chassis side output was only 13.26v ... So there is the difference.. 0.73v. perhaps a coincidence. Anyway, when I get time, I'll take it apart and clean it up. It is 10 yrs old.

I agree and would say that the .73 Voltage Drop that you saw? is indeed the actual voltage loss at that point and time when you measured it......and that the voltage drop across those terminals in that bad connection at the Big Boy will vary depending on the load in the circuit at the point and time that you measured it.

I still find it hard to believe that is the problem with your charging issue ...... but again, I agree that .73 voltage drop is an issue that needs to be addressed
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2017, 03:47 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
On my first inspection of things (testing at the batteries) I was finding a lower V on the chassis than the house. If memory serves at the time, the chassis was reading 12.6v and the house was 13-13.2v. So the percentage drop is about the same, which tells the 'problem' is with the BB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRoy View Post
I agree and would say that the .73 Voltage Drop that you saw? is indeed the actual voltage loss at that point and time when you measured it......and that the voltage drop across those terminals in that bad connection at the Big Boy will vary depending on the load in the circuit at the point and time that you measured it.

I still find it hard to believe that is the problem with your charging issue ...... but again, I agree that .73 voltage drop is an issue that needs to be addressed
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 04:52 PM   #17
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If the thing is on long enough both battery banks will eventually equalize and you will wonder why things "are now fully charged".

Think of a slow draining sink. The P trap has become clogged but not completely. Cleaning it allows the flow of current back to normal.

Or, think of a clogged artery in a heart. Plenty of pressure on one side of the clog and little flow on the other side. Bypassing it with a set of jumper cables anywhere along the line such as right at the clog or further back such as right at the battery terminals results in bypassing the clog.

When you have solar charging both banks of batteries directly though a solar controller you are paralleling the Big Boy basically.

To test it further, turn on your headlights, dash fans, and anything else you can find that is running off the engine batteries. You should see a bigger difference in voltage across the terminals if the load is big enough.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:16 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
I just found out the coach is doing shedding... The washing machine takes presidency over the cook top 😁 anyway, I'll check it out tomorrow.
Page 141 of my wiring diagram book has that diagram which also includes the Dynasty. If you don't have the schematic book, I posted it on the Monacoers yahoo file section. It includes most 2007 Monaco and Beaver wiring diagrams and is 214 pages.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:23 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Finally took the BB apart today and it was a mess inside. The 2 copper bolts/contacts were completely green except the outsides threads. I'm surprised any current got through.
Now I have 0.0v across the lugs and 14.0v on each one. The best part is I still got that $250 in my pocket :-)

Sent from my XT1565 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, ems, problems