RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2009, 10:19 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Chasing a leak on the bedroom slide out.

I've been for a while now trying to figure out how the water is getting in at the bottom of the slide on the sides. I did the search here and have made the cups are sealed the gasket is fit around the cup nice and caulked. I was out there the other night in a driving rain with a flash light on a ladder trying to CSI this thing.

It seems that the water runoff from the roof comes down and hits the gasket at the top and some how finds it's way behind, I see no damage to the gaskets and they are flipped right. I'm coming down to 2 soluations.

1 try to run some rain diverters around the slideout area at the roof line to move the water away.

2 Get a bigger slide out topper, it seems that the stock topper leaves the gaskets exposed fully to the weather. I think #1 might help but a bigger topper may solve the problem for good. I think 3" on each side would cut it. So the question is has anyone gone thru this and your thoughts on my ideas for a fix.

If the new carpet gets wet DW is going to kill me so I may try #1 tonight if I can hit CW on the way home.

Thanks

Al

Morancy Adventures!!
03HRVacationer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2009, 02:46 PM   #2
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Al, I bought my 01 Diplomat used when it was 3-years old. I also had a leak in the bedroom slide. My slide extends the bed out. Water was wetting the floor every time it rained. I, like you, was concentrating on the seals. Well the problem turned out to be a bad seal, but not the rubber seals. The EternaBond on the outside edge top rear side corner had a hole in it. Part of the metal was sharp and rather than round it off first, the tape was put right over it, and with use it developed a hole there. I would have sworn not that much water could come in the hole, but it did.
What you may want to try, is start at the bottom on each side with a hose and spray nozzle set on shower, and wet it down good. Let the water run a good 15-minutes before moving up a foot or so. If neither side is leaking, set the level so water would run off the slide top in one direction only. Start wetting the seal down starting where it runs off.
If this does not find the leak, start looking at the outer part of the slide itself for a hole where the sides and top meet the outer wall.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 03:57 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
On my Gulfstream I fought a water leak in the bedroom slide out for over a year. When I bought it home it leaked and I had it back several times to LaMesa for repairs, They replaced the seal but it still would leak on the back corner. One day while in TN it was raining and it was dripping inside. I got the ladder out and finally traced that it was running off the roof and then across the slideout and coming under a outside corner moulding and running down under it to the inside. I placed a little piede of duct tape on the top where it was running in and it stopped. When it stopped raining and dried out I then recauked at the top of the moulding. Solved the problem. It seems we always look at the hardest thing first. This was really a very simple leak but it had been overlooked for over a year.
darbyjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 05:32 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Al.....You didn't describe exactly where the water is ending up. Is it at the bottom corner of both ends of the slide? The reason I ask....I chased a similar leak for a year. Water would run down the front of my livingroom slide and soak the carpet behind the driver's seat. I resealed everything without much luck.

Here's what I eventually found.....When I tipped the coach so the front was higher, no leak. I started placing paper towels higher and higher on the wall to locate where the water came in. I eventually located the leak. If you can picture your slide removed and you're standing in the opening, you'll see that the opening is encased in a metal "C" channel that encloses in the inner and outer walls. On mine, the upper piece had holes drilled about every two feet. They were either screw holes or weep holes...unknown. I found the water was dripping out of the forward most hole, falling onto the top of the slide and running forward. When I tipped the coach up in the front, I would get water on the carpert behind the slide, but not as bad as the front.

Next, I checked the seam where the roof rolls over and meets the sidewall (awning rail). At the point just behind the living room slide the awning rail needed the top edge to be re-siliconed. It had cracked open in an area about a foot long. Once I resealed this spot, my leak was resolved.

I know this was long and may be off base, but I know how fustrating leaks can be and thought I would offer my experience.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 08:33 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the great ideas you all, I will try out all your sugestions and keep you posted. I have to solve this one soon.

Thanks again as allways,

Regards,

Al

Morancy Adventures!!
Old 05-13-2009, 08:10 PM   #6

You did not say if you had replace the slideout rubber seal. I have had one leak that happened because the slideout seal did not fully roll out and seal the sidewall of the slideout. We now team up with DW inside moving the slideouts and me outside looking to see if the rubber seal is correctly fitting the sidewall. This can happenwith new and old seals. On our previous MH ( Itasca) the owner's manual suggested corn starch as a way to keep the seals soft and pliable so they will not be damaged during the slideout movement.
Oh-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:09 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you have seams where the side of the slide out connects to the bottom make sure that seam is sealed with silicon. On my bedroom slide it was not sealed and we keep getting wet carpet under the bed. The leak was very hard to track down. I would run my fingernail along all the side to bottom seams and make sure they are sealed
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:45 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Update

I threw the hole ball of wax at it, I taped the tops and bottoms of the slide out it's self, I did the bottoms a few weeks ago, they were caulked because of delamimation probubly due to leaking from the top. I picked up a tube of the fast setting 5200 a marine sealent and caulked in behind seal where it meets the sidewall of the coach. Put the hose to it and got nothing, we are camping this weekend at Bayles in Maine and they are calling for rain tomorrow night and Sunday so we'll see if we pass Mother Natures test.

Thanks for the help,

Al

Morancy Adventures!!
Old 01-18-2010, 02:34 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
we are camping this weekend at Bayles in Maine and they are calling for rain tomorrow night and Sunday so we'll see if we pass Mother Natures test.
Al how did you make out with the leak?
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:25 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by itdave View Post
If you have seams where the side of the slide out connects to the bottom make sure that seam is sealed with silicon. On my bedroom slide it was not sealed and we keep getting wet carpet under the bed. The leak was very hard to track down. I would run my fingernail along all the side to bottom seams and make sure they are sealed
+1 on this fix on my 08 Vacationer. The bottom and side are connected with an L channel on the bottom which is not sealed from the factory. Took a while for us to finally find it, but a bead of RTV fixed it right up.
coachmanrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:13 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Coachmen when I look at my slideout from the side of rig it looks like a framed picture. Do you mean the seal all around this frame?
Old 01-19-2010, 06:22 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
Coachmen when I look at my slideout from the side of rig it looks like a framed picture. Do you mean the seal all around this frame?
This is of my LR Slide, but has the exact same construction around the edges as my Bedroom Slide. There is an "L" bracked on the edge that is not sealed. The water from the black channel that is supposed to drain water away from the seal actually pours directly into the channel and allows it to run directly into the MH.

The red arrow shows where the most water entered the channel, and the red line shows where I sealed all of these types of joints.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:56 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Interesting because I was sure that our bedroom slide had no seal in that same position. Did they forget?

Also on the face of the slide ( on yours where you have the two windows) towards the bottom where your white stripe meets the bottom seam. This is where I needed to seal our bedroom slide. On the living room slide there wouldn't be a problem with that seam because it is below the slide out room.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:01 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
My curb side Bedroom slide has no channel on it either. I don't understand how / why all the differences? On the slides with no channel you should watch for the bottom white laminate separating from the slide itself. Bad stuff if water gets in there.

Good luck.