RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2020, 04:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Godfrey View Post
I have performed some more troubleshooting and wanted to share. I had some pictures, but my phone did not sync with the google cloud yet.

Upfront I found two switches, a thermocouple, and a pressure switch. Each one was closed. After starting the engine and taking measurements, 12v was passing through each closed switch. This was telling me that there was no problem upfront and the signal was being sent to the rear.

I went to the engine. I could not turn the compressor by hand. I started the engine and discovered that 12v was not being sent to the clutch on the compressor. Because it is so close to the alternator, I jumped the wite to make it hot to engage the clutch. When I did, I heard the clutch engage, but it sounded like slipping brake pads.

My conclusion is that I have a blown fuse or relay somewhere because either the clutch or compressor is bad.

Time to take this to my experienced friends. At least, I know where to have them focus without wasting much time.

I will follow up at a later time.
Good call

Seized a/c compressors are a very common find in the last 20 years or so with the mass merchandising of DYI recharge kits.

Most DYI folks are not adding 1 or 2 oz of refrigerant oil during the charging process and simply just add refrigerant only.

If you lose refrigerant ...you have lost some oil ....it may have been minimal but some oil left the system along with the loss of the refrigerant.....do this re-charge with no oil added enough times and the next thing you know the compressor seizes due to lack of lubrication and if youíre lucky the guts of your failed compressor have not been pumped thu youíre a/c system.

If your compressor seized? personally I would flush the a/c system during the process and install some kind of filtration to protect the new compressor from any residual debris.

These folks https://airsept.com/Products/Details/32 are top shelf and offer some very nice choices in a/c filtration and other products.
I have no affiliation with them other than having used their products on more than one occasion over the years with positive results.

There are lots of a/c filtration options out there.

Good Luck

Happy Trails
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2020, 09:08 PM   #16

Update:

After receiving the link to the other post and the schematics, I found that I had a failed relay. I replaced it with the horn. Everything on the AC system now works except the issue is the same, the compressor is locked.

Does anyone know what the part number is for a composer for our RV's?

Thanks for all your help. When I fix it I will update this post.
Jim Godfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 09:32 PM   #17

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
There is a fuse for the compressor in the driver side electrical bay
I believe the same fuse also serves the electric fan on the condenser coil.
But it sounds like you probably have a bad compressor.
HR Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 09:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by HR Endeavor View Post
There is a fuse for the compressor in the driver side electrical bay
I believe the same fuse also serves the electric fan on the condenser coil.
But it sounds like you probably have a bad compressor.
Yes, I found it all and have the whole electrical side working now. There was a bad relay which is why the electrical side was not working. I can only assume the relay went bad due to the compressor fault. Now it is time to visit the experts.
Jim Godfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 08:34 AM   #19

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My 40í 2003 HR has a UNICLA UP-150 compressor. Still available on EBay for around $400.00.
I recently had to change out the filter/dryer, flush out the whole system and recharge it to get mine back working. There was a lot of trash in the system, especially around the condenser coil and the filter/dryer was completely clogged up. While I had it discharged I went ahead and replaced the expansion valve and pressure switch due to reading other posts that had said that these expansion valves were a common failure point. Your manual should give you the proper oil and Freon amounts to properly recharge the system.
HR Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 08:56 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Godfrey View Post
Update:

After receiving the link to the other post and the schematics, I found that I had a failed relay. I replaced it with the horn. Everything on the AC system now works except the issue is the same, the compressor is locked.

Does anyone know what the part number is for a composer for our RV's?

You should see a tag on the compresor itself or a casting #

Thanks for all your help. When I fix it I will update this post.
FYI my experience with replacing mobil a/c compressors over the years I would not consider a re-manufactured compressor even at any cost and the low cost can make them appear to be a deal.

The failure rate on re-man compressors in the industry is staggering and considering the replacement cost involved when they fail

Happy Trails
Old 03-22-2020, 11:22 AM   #21

REV Group uses your VIN number to find the right compressor. If you change the compressor, you'll need a new dryer too.
You create a login account with the usual name, address, etc. plus you enter your VIN number too. I've had great luck the 'contact us' button. Tell them what you want and an email comes back with the numbers, drop in your cart, done.
My '04 Ambassador had the same UNICLA UP 150 which was shot. My new one from REV is $329.

Tags
chassis, dash