Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2020, 02:36 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Chassis air bags not inflating passenger side

Hello all, hope everyone is safe and healthy. I own a HR Scepter 2002 and have been setting for a couple months (dec - April). Yesterday I started up the rig to reposition and realized the air bags on the passenger side are not inflating or at least not leveling out. Anyone have any suggestions about this. I noticed on the way down that I had a low air bag on start up one morning but it leveled out after a few minutes of driving in the lot so I didn't think of it any further. Is this a common thing with air systems or a sign of trouble ?

Thank you in advance for any help/suggestions.
LandSailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2020, 02:43 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If it is just one side I would check the leveling valve on the side that is low. There is a linkage that connects from the axle to valve, these are known to fail/break.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 02:54 PM   #3

The valve can easily get a small dust or sand in the valve and it will not shut. Sometimes they can be cleaned out. If you bring it to Freightliner I guaranty they will replace it.
It’s about $500-600. They sit around and bill you $180/hr for a one hour job.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 03:13 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Leveling valve - I will check this, any good chassis manuals online I can view or download? I would really like to school up on this. I am planning to attend the Frieghtliner class in Indiana sooner or later but would like to work on line for the moment if I can.

I did call a Frieghtliner shop and you ain't kidding $175 per.hr. was their rate so far.
Old 05-01-2020, 05:43 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
You are looking for something like this on the rear axle on the side that is low. Loosen the clamp (mark the rod position) so you can remove the rod from the rubber mount so you can move the lever in both directions. Hopefully this will get the dirt out. Need to be careful about where you position yourself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D48AD4EF-6A91-46A2-B6C7-7540508D4D40.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	283794  
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 05:51 PM   #6

I attempted to do some research myself on ride ht on a FL chassis. I found confusing #s for correct measurements. Finally contacted FL w VIN and they provided the correct measurement.
Do the research & learning but I'd advise contacting FL for the correct spec & tolerance.
I also found it near impossible to get clearance to even do a good measurement check myself without a pit or elevated area with a recess to provide access.
I'm guessing a truck / bus shop has a setup or some tricks that help?
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 07:37 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ok thanks all, I will look at things this weekend. I still have the full owner manual and it gives me the measurements for the front and rear ride height. Also shows where to take measures from. My main question are now safety, Don’t want to lower the thing on myself
Old 05-03-2020, 05:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandSailors View Post
Ok thanks all, I will look at things this weekend. I still have the full owner manual and it gives me the measurements for the front and rear ride height. Also shows where to take measures from. My main question are now safety, Don’t want to lower the thing on myself
Please Be Safe
Do Not rely on Jack's, levelers or air suspension.
Adequately rated jack stands with support under or wood blocking under chassis.
Getting access while level and able to take measurements is not easy.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 08:05 AM   #9

First you do not have a Freightliner chassis your coach is built on a Roadmaster
chassis so letting Freightliner learn on your money could get quite expensive .

Look near the top of this page and you can see RV Forums there you can
find Roadmaster chassis . That is where you can probably find more help .

No your problem is not common but I have had the problem my self .
The fact that you had it happen previously tells me it isn't a linkage problem .
When I had the problem it was an air solenoid on the rear manifold aka six pack .
These solenoids can stick , leak or go bad electrically .

You can make a ramp out of 2x12s stacked on each other with each progressively
shorter so you can pull the coach upon the stack .
This will give you a measure of safety and make things much easier .
You must still exercise caution under the coach .

Lastly looking near the bottom of this page is a box labeled " Similar threads "
you may find help there also .

Ray
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 07:17 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Definitely safety is my priority and I am not making a move till I am absolute about how the suspension works.
Thanks Ray for pointing out the Roadmaster detail I did confirm from the owner's manual this is what I have.
Ok below hopefully are 3 photos?!?!

Name:	IMG_6544.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	284032

Name:	IMG_6543.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	284033

Name:	IMG_6546.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	284034

If you can see them I think the problem is the rubber connecting rode end that is split sideways.
Still learning what chassis I'm dealing with and what service and parts shops are around. If anyone knows of a site where I can view or download some details on Roadmaster chassis. From what I'm finding out Freightliner has a custom chassis division that works exclusively with Monaco so the search for info continues...

Thanks to everyone who have taken the time to contribute. I will post more if anyone is interested.
Old 05-03-2020, 08:14 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Yes, the rubber end has failed... should be straight. Easy enough to put a new end on without making the coach lower. There should be enough room to sit up in that area safely.

Your 2002 HR Scepter has a Roadmaster chassis made by the original Monaco. The current Monaco, owned by the REV group, the chassis is made by Freightliner (no outboard airbags) and is totally different from the outboard airbags that the original “Roadmaster” chassis used. REV is using Monaco and Roadmaster to sucker people into thinking they are buying a “Monaco” or HR when it’s just a rebadged Fleetwood.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 09:34 PM   #12

Yep, looks like the rod end has failed. Simple fix that should be fairly cheap to fix
kenwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 12:20 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
You should be able to buy new rods of whatever length you require from any heavy truck dealership. Shouldn't be too pricey. Good luck Don.
DiplomatDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 01:05 PM   #14

That valve is sometimes referred to as a Ride Height Valve but unless it’s frozen up or leaking then probably replacing the rod and or end Will repair it
kenwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ags, air, chassis, holiday rambler