Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2011, 06:39 PM   #1

chassis airconditioner recharge?

I have a holiday rambler neptune 2007, and was wondering if the air conditioner, chassis, can be recharged. while traveling the A/C on the temp feels just like the regular air vent, not very cool at all. the ac is on max/temp for cool but it just does not feel cool. if it can be recharged can a regular auto place do it or does someone like cummins have to? i know that i could just run the genny for the coach ac but would like not to.
thanks
Bill
Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2011, 06:48 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Yes it can be recharged. I had mine recharged twice before they found a leaking valve. I took it to a RV shop.
Buford B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:30 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
There is no, none, nada difference in the Monaco a/c system and your Ford or Chevy. The hoses just happen to be a bit longer. ANY a/c shop can charge or repair them. Question is, will they? In our wonderful "service" industries it seems that any situation that is "outside the box" calls for an immediate "we don't work on those".
The problem may be as simple as a bad mixer valve. If an intermediate temp. is selected it allows some heater operation. If bad (stuck open) hot water from the engine is always in the picture. Typically a diesel with the looong heater hoses has two off/on valves at the engine, one "in" and the other is "out". I assume they are there in case of a heater leak, their use would then allow you to get to a repair facility. A lot of folks turn them off for summer use as an added safety measure. You might try that also.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:34 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
It can be repaired/recharged. It is exactly the same as a car/pickup unit but with longer hoses. If you have the owners manual it may tell you how much freon is required to charge the system. I just purchased a used 01 Imperial and the owners manual stated that it takes 4 lbs of freon to charge the system. Any good automotive a/c tech should be able to take care of you, if not, there are always the truck repair places. Good luck.
BeltoneMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:58 PM   #5

You can go online and find many R134a pressure vs Temp charts such as here R134a Refrigerant Pressure Temperature Calculator This requires that you know the temp going into the condenser under the front of the MH. Looks like a small radiator with a fan on it. So say you know the temp of the air going in is 70*. So at 70* you need about 71 psi on the low pressure side of the system. You can go to AutoZone or Walmart and get R134a cans with a low pressure gauge attached. Now turn your AC to MAX with the fan up high and connect the R134a can with the gauge on the low pressure fitting and read the low pressure. if it is below 71 psi then open up the can and let the the R134a go in until it reads 71 psi. may take more that one can. DO NOT TURN THE CAN UPSIDE DOWN or it will pump liquid and ruin the compressor. When it reads 71 psi shut the can off and disconnect it. Now you have completed what and high paid AC tech is going to charge you to do. If you have anymore question then let me know. I find the cheapest R134a at WalMart.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote