Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2020, 10:32 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Chassis and a Domestic Solenoids

The solenoid that controls power to my domestic systems failed this week so none of the 12V systems like lights would work. The chassis side worked fine. Luckily I had a spare on hand. Troubleshooting was pretty easy. With the chassis and domestic switches on, and the 12 V Cut-off switch by the door turned on, I had 12V to the input side of both solenoids, but only the chassis solenoid had 12V on the output side. I made a jumper to tie the in- and output sides together and the lights worked. The replacement solenoid is a White Rogers 70-111224 12V Continuous Duty solenoid with a 400 amp inrush and 60 amps continuous current capability.

Old on top new on bottom. Those with a keen eye will notice a purple jumper on the old solenoid and a red on the new. I had to make a new jumper from the chassis to the domestic solenoid because the original was too short with the new solenoid. It’s got a little different shape and the mount is a little higher making the terminals a little farther apart.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D3036AB9-1B38-4E5C-ABDE-EAACEF1ADF53.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	243.1 KB
ID:	277115   Click image for larger version

Name:	A64BD6EE-F3E3-4AB3-A219-E5E36BC44B61.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	260.2 KB
ID:	277116  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2020, 05:49 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Smile

Mine is still working but I do have a spare when it does die.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:48 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
As you point out one feeds the front run bay and the other feeds the house fuse block. I’ve replaced them before too. It’s somewhat of a poor design to be continuously engaged but a cheap part. Some have simply eliminated them.
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 10:38 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff753 View Post
As you point out one feeds the front run bay and the other feeds the house fuse block. I’ve replaced them before too. It’s somewhat of a poor design to be continuously engaged but a cheap part. Some have simply eliminated them.
Talk about irony, if you eliminate them, you lose the ability to easily disconnect power from the chassis or domestic circuits. You need to do that when you replace things like these solenoids!! Seriously, if I jump around them all I lose is the front battery disconnect switch right?
Old 03-06-2020, 10:54 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
Talk about irony, if you eliminate them, you lose the ability to easily disconnect power from the chassis or domestic circuits. You need to do that when you replace things like these solenoids!! Seriously, if I jump around them all I lose is the front battery disconnect switch right?
The solenoids are controlled by the "Battery Cutoff" or "Salesmen Switch", but there should also be a mechanical "Battery Disconnect" close to the batteries.

The Salesman Switch/Battery Cutoff turns off 12V power to most items, however, I believe it does keep power on to some systems like propane/CO alarms, as an example. Where as the mechanical disconnect switch located near the battery is a physical disconnect of all 12V straight from the battery bank source.

If your Dynasty is the same as our Sig, then you are correct that by-passing the solenoids you should only lose the Salesman switch function.

As an aside, whenever doing work on the 12V electrical system one should use the main battery disconnect to remove power, and not just rely on the Salesman Switch/Battery Cuttoff solenoids, for reasons described above.

P.S. Thanks for sharing the White Rodgers part number! I have a Napa part number currently. We too have had an intermittent solenoid, and so its actually on the list to replace. Seems to be a very common problem.
Our 2001 Signature Repairs & Upgrades Thread
JJTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 12:08 PM   #6

I thought solenoid should be 80 amp continuous duty.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 12:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
My Trombetta relay was 200 amp continuous on the Tuscany
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 12:47 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
I don't know for sure. A search of the part number on the old solenoid doesn't come up a specific replacement and apparently Echlin doesn't make this part any longer. This White Rogers part number shows up in the search. The part number in my owners manual is not the same as the Echlin part number on the solenoid, but the part number in the manual crosses to this White Rogers part number.

Total potential draw in the 12V fuse box is 244 amps -- the great majority is for lighting. My coach only utilizes 160 amps of that 244 because I don't have some of the options installed. The only other items that use 12V are the water pump, the kitchen fan, the bath fans, the cook top, and the furnace. I'd be hard pressed to exceed 60 amps of current since I've replaced most of my incandescent lights with LEDs and I no longer have a propane cooktop.
Old 03-06-2020, 12:49 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
My Trombetta relay was 200 amp continuous on the Tuscany
I believe that solenoid serves a different function in your coach than these do in mine.
Old 03-06-2020, 01:39 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
The part number I had for the solenoid is: Napa Echlin "ECH ST85"

Here is the link for the part: https://www.napaonline.com/p/echst85

Although it is called a "starter" solenoid, it is rated for 80A continuous duty.
Our 2001 Signature Repairs & Upgrades Thread
JJTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 01:51 PM   #11

I got rid of mine many years ago.
I use the house or chassis batery disconect switch, as suggested above also, if I want to work on the DC.
Or change out batteries.
DC flows both ways [emoji106]
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 03:00 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
The white rogers 80 amp model is p/n 70 111224S1

Item - DC Power Solenoid
Coil Voltage - DC 12
Amps - 80
Coil Type - Isolated
Contact Form - SPNO
Coil Termination - #10-32 UNF-2A Thread