Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2015, 10:47 AM   #15

Gulf Streamers Club
I'd remove alternator and take it to an auto parts store and have it tested.
12.3 v is only about a 70% charge for a 12v battery.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2015, 12:44 PM   #16

Your start batteries are run down or shot and your alternator is not working.

Probably why your start batteries are low.

Charge the batteries for 6 hours, change the alternator and drive to a Auto Parts store and have them test your batteries.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 01:01 PM   #17

Have chassis batts on external charge and they are charging ok. once at 100% will load test but they seem to be fine. will pull alt. tomorrow and have it checked. if need new one can have one in 24hrs. Want to thank everyone for responding, it is nice to have sounding board to bounce stuff off of.
Don
Lakescepter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:45 AM   #18
YC1

Don't "assume". Measure the voltage on the COACH batteries while it is running. You could get fooled using a digital voltmeter with the test you did. You did NOT measure the voltage at the alternator with the engine running.

A bad Diode Isolator could leak voltage back to the alternator and you would measure the voltage mentioned.

If I understood your original explanation you indicated the coach batteries stayed charged but the engine battery did not. Again, If I understood correctly this was with you driving.

In any case, it would take just a couple of minutes to do the test and might save you some knuckles.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:08 PM   #19

Just so I don't put out bad info I will recap all checks. With all batt disconnects off I checked batt volts house and chassis. chassis was low, house was full. ran engine and checked at batts read same volts. at high idle saw no charging at chassis batts. activated boost switch and read house voltage at chassis batts. was able to finally hook to alt with engine running and read the low chassis batt voltage as before, no increase. the leece/Neville alt I have has a remote sense term. and is also ignition excited. after charging chassis batts to full charge with external charger ran all tests again and still did not see any charging from alt. chassis batt voltage was always present at alternator so it would seem wiring was ok and any relays or diodes were working. since the alt is ignition excited I hit batt boost to give it a jolt and no improvement to alt output. new alt on order. thanks again everyone.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:02 PM   #20

Ta Dah!!! New alternator installed and charging chassis batts like crazy. Again thanks to all who gave input.

Tags
chassis, battery