Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2022, 08:28 AM   #1

Chassis battery

Ok, this doesnt sound right, my chassis batteries wouldnt start the coach after sitting for a week so I turned them off at the battery switch by the engine, I heard a big clunk like a relay drop out, ok, sounded like it could have been the boost, which I dont think was working because it wouldnt help start the engine, but at any rate turning the switch back on did not close whatever that was again? but when I went to run the slides, they wont work with out the chassis batteries turned on? looks like the boost relay is behind the boards in the right rear compartment and the boards are secured in ? not sure what else is in there, yet!
Thanks
Mike
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2022, 01:34 PM   #2

Hi Mike; Saw & read your post early this morning but had to leave. Thought someone with a coach similar would have responded by now, but not yet so I will give my thoughts on your situation.

First, if your chassis battery is being drawn down in one week and will not start the coach, the battery is either bad or you have some kind of load drawing down the battery. By turning the chassis battery disconnect switch to the off position should disconnect all power to the chassis side of the system. I would charge the chassis battery to full charge and have it tested.

Second, I would check to see if the battery boost solenoid is working. Have someone inside push, or pull, the boost switch and see if you hear the solenoid Engauge. If not I would get a volt meter and check to see if you are getting 12 volts across the terminals when the switch is engaged.

Third, Not sure in your coach what set of batteries run the slides. I have not gone in and read the owners manual for your coach. The one slide on my 01 Windsor runs off the house batteries, not the chassis batteries. I have see pictures of your level of coach here before in this forum and I think you have 2 electrical panels in the engine compartment. I think the one on your right when looking into the engine compartment has the battery boost solenoid in it behind the plastic panel. Should be a diagram in either compartment identifying all Compoint's inside the compartment. I am going to guess that all this info should be in the chassis section of your owners manual. At his time Mike, that's all I have. Hope someone with your coach responses and can be more help. Good luck!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 01:46 PM   #3

When my boost solenoid would not start the coach when chassis batteries were depleted
I found out that the contacts in the boost solenoid were corroded and needed cleaning. I took the solenoid apart cleaned the contacts reassembled have had no issues since

Also on my coach the corrroded contacts prevented my chassis batteries from being charged after coach batteries were charged and charger was suppose to be charging chassis batteries

ended up with depleted chassis batteries
doublechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 03:06 PM   #4

I believe our coaches are very similar. The Big Boy solenoid and the B.I.R.D are located in the electrical panel on the passanger side engine compartment.
kenwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 03:47 PM   #5

Use cables to jump house to start. I am no expert but turning off your chassis batteries should not trigger the boost feature..should it ?
I never leave my chassis batteries on unless I am plugged into shore power. Just seems like a good practice.
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 05:26 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Mike, you need to get your voltmeter out and start checking.
First check the chassis batteries, then check the house batteries.

Then check the large terminals on the Intellitec Big Boy solenoid located in your rear electrical run box (right side of engine bay under plexiglass cover).

Have someone depress the boost switch on the dash and listen to the Big Boy solenoid to see if it closes.
Can you get the generator started using the boost switch?
You may have to start the main engine and then start the generator.
Make sure your inverter is on and the charge portion is on.
Best of luck!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 07:28 PM   #7

Thanks to all, your right, big boy relay not working, pulling in, but no contact. I didnt see the wing nuts to gain access, I now see that it works for the B.I.R.D. thats why it would not engage when I hit the boost, as it was already trying to charge the chassis battery and then when I turned off the chassis from the bat switch, it dropped out. now If I can be as lucky as doublechevy and repair it!
Thanks one and all
Old 03-04-2022, 08:31 PM   #8

Will try to post a good doc on it. If it doesn’t work PM me. Can’t seem to figure it out. PM me
kenwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 11:32 AM   #9

With mine an easy repair removed solenoid drilled out rivets cleaned contacts lubricated reassembled with nuts and bolts instead of rivets.

do not forget to tape or protect lug ends to prevent accidental contact with grounded surfaces

mark or take picture of wire locations

good luck
doublechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 07:22 AM   #10

I guess I got lucky! No rivets to drill! I'll post some pics in case someone else needs it, the only thing to watch is that the coil wires stay clear of the contact ring.
Thanks again
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220306_105902.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	216.3 KB
ID:	358502   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220306_110319.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	358503  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220306_110324.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	230.8 KB
ID:	358504   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220306_111544_HDR.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	358505  

Old 03-16-2022, 10:35 AM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Just a thought here. Went to turn on both my house & cassis batteries, master switch was in the battery box bin. When I twisted on the chassis switch, it felt smooth, not the usual heavy click. Going back to the drivers seat to start the engine, there was no power, no dash lights. Discovered the master switch housing had cracked, from old age I guess, and the contacts had seperated. Bought two new better ones, not the same as the stock manufacture brand, marine grade type. Problem solved, $90. Factory style units were $50 (price for a pair quoted on both sets).

If the master switch is broke, it could be staying connected and drawing the batteries down. Look for cracking around switch case, replace ASAP if any cracks are seen.
Jchemie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 06:10 AM   #12
YC1

Great job on the pictures. I am saving them for the future. This subject comes up so often it could be a permanent sticky I think. Just like the TRW steering box change.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 07:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Great job on the pictures. I am saving them for the future. This subject comes up so often it could be a permanent sticky I think. Just like the TRW steering box change.
WOOHOO! lucky me, build sheet says I have TRW steering box

Tags
battery, chassis