RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2018, 07:29 PM   #1

Chassis battery operate slide

Just bought a 2006 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV and my wife and install new topper covers on the bed room slides. We ran the slides out and in a couple or times to make sure everything looked good. The next evening I went down to get it ready to move the drivers side bedroom slide worked good but the other slides would not move. We where plugged Into a 50 amp outlet. The house batteries read 12.9. So I turned on the ignition key and there was nothing. So I used the battery boost and started the coach and let it run a little and then the rest of the sildes came in fine. I thought that all the slides worked off the house batteries. Iím new to Monaco coaches, I upgraded from a 2000 Bounder 39Z two completely different animals Iím find out.

OutlawFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2018, 08:09 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
While I'm not 100% sure, but all of the Coaches I'm familiar with are generally set up to use the Coach Batteries for slide operation. If the Ignition Switch is own, the Slides should not operate. There may be a "Cold Joint" in your wiring. Sometimes a switch will send power to the slide motor and sometimes it won't if that's the case. If this happens again....and your batteries are/have proper voltage, you may have to start at the slide motor itself and work backwards. I know you don't won't to hear that but, with these things....Stuff Happens.

Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutt View Post
While I'm not 100% sure, but all of the Coaches I'm familiar with are generally set up to use the Coach Batteries for slide operation. If the Ignition Switch is own, the Slides should not operate. There may be a "Cold Joint" in your wiring. Sometimes a switch will send power to the slide motor and sometimes it won't if that's the case. If this happens again....and your batteries are/have proper voltage, you may have to start at the slide motor itself and work backwards. I know you don't won't to hear that but, with these things....Stuff Happens.

The two forward slides and the passenger bedroom slide all came in with key on and engine running. I did have the wife hit the in button before I checked the chassis batteries and I watched the 12 volt electrical panel and all the led for those three slides would come on, I attributed that to the low voltage.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:01 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
If those slides work/move with the key own....and especially if the engine is running, That is a safety issue. That is not suppose to happen. Hopefully, some other RV'ers will Chime in on this issue as well. I am no expert of any sort, but again those slides are not suppose to work under those conditions. Someone apparently has unplugged the kill switch which should work in a similar manner to the Front TV not working when the Ignition switch is own and the MH running. I know the TV switch is unplugged on a number of MH's allowing the TV to work, but the Slides should not move with the Ignition switch own. FWIW.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:17 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My Kwikee Winnebago slides work off the Chassis battery and work best with the motor running. I don't know about Monaco slides.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:28 PM   #6

I have not sold my old Bounder 39z yet, tomorrow Iím going to try it and see. Just wondering what all the chassis Batteries run besides the eng systems and dash.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:34 PM   #7

Mutt, I’m looking into the safety switch also, thanks.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:04 PM   #8

Mutt, just checked it out on the Monaco and found out that if the key is on the slides will come in but you canít put them out. Iím thinking my problem my be old age on my part, just a brain fart hopefully.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:07 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
My 02 Diplomat has to be shut has to be off for the slides to work, and as I recall, the Manual Speaks to the unit having to be off for the slides to work for safety reasons. And of course this makes sense. Would want the slides moving going down the road. As I also recall with my 99 Itasca Sunflyer Unit, the key had to be off at that point in time. Just my feeble mind trying to remember. Good luck with yours.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:11 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Well, I may get flamed here I but don't really care. I disabled that safety feature so I would not have to kill the engine just to pull the slides in. I would have to start the engine, wait till it filled all the bags up, turn off the engine, pull the slides in, then re-start the engine back up. Just me and the wife that travel. Pretty sure she knows not to operate the slides while I am driving...lol.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:26 AM   #11
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLar368 View Post
Well, I may get flamed here I but don't really care. I disabled that safety feature so I would not have to kill the engine just to pull the slides in. I would have to start the engine, wait till it filled all the bags up, turn off the engine, pull the slides in, then re-start the engine back up. Just me and the wife that travel. Pretty sure she knows not to operate the slides while I am driving...lol.

Not that it is likely but things can try to run without pushing a button. My large awning developed a mind of its own when the outside switch failed. I am glad it was while I was running it from inside. It comes with a power off switch so keeping that disabled is the safety feature.

I too think it is a pain to shut down to bring the sides in. I like the extra voltage from the alternator.

Doing some research I found a fuse to pull that will disable that feature. I have considered wiring that to a bypass switch but then that is one thing more for me to remember.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:51 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawFarmer View Post
Mutt, just checked it out on the Monaco and found out that if the key is on the slides will come in but you canít put them out. Iím thinking my problem my be old age on my part, just a brain fart hopefully.
The high end Monacos with the multiplex system were programmed to allow the slides to be retracted with the engine running but not extended. Since three of your slides work and one does not, you might take a close look at the multiplex modules and relays associated with that slide.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:09 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLar368 View Post

I did the same thing on our 07 Camelot -- My slides are 12v & works much better with engine running - Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutt View Post
If those slides work/move with the key own....and especially if the engine is running, That is a safety issue. That is not suppose to happen. Hopefully, some other RV'ers will Chime in on this issue as well. I am no expert of any sort, but again those slides are not suppose to work under those conditions. Someone apparently has unplugged the kill switch which should work in a similar manner to the Front TV not working when the Ignition switch is own and the MH running. I know the TV switch is unplugged on a number of MH's allowing the TV to work, but the Slides should not move with the Ignition switch own. FWIW.
I disagree I modified mine to allow me to start the engine or leave it running and run slides in or out in park and keep the batteries fully charged. My 3 slide dynasty with hyd slides eats batteries out and in to get below 12.3 volts. After my mod my batteries are now 13.4 and start the cummins just fine when I get ready to leave. I am smart enough to not push the slide buttons when I am moving.

Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, chassis, slide