Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2008, 02:40 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
I completed the first oil change and chassis lube at 2,948 miles on our new Monarch (Ford Chassis). Although the Ford maint. schedule calls for the chassis lube at 15K mile intervals, I did it anyway. I am gald I did. Two of the fittings only required 2 pumps of the handle while the others required many, many pumps. When it was all said and done, I used half of the brand-new tube of grease. Wow! I know times are hard at Ford and Monaco, but.... I know it was a Ford issue, but I also think Monaco has some responsibility here as well. I am glad I didn't wait another 12K miles. I wonder what else I should check early?

I have read many posts about the 9 grease points on the late model Ford Chassis and have referenced the Ford books that came with the MH. But my chassis only had 8. The fitting on top of the steering box has what appears to be cap in place of the fitting. Does anyone know if this is an oversite, new modification that does not require grease? Or, should I install a fitting and grease anyway?

2007 Ford Explorer V8 Towed
Bobby C is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2008, 04:27 AM   #2

I Lube my Chassis
at a minimum every 5000 miles!!!

Rick
Old 11-23-2008, 05:47 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Under that CAP is the grease fitting.. Don't neglect it.
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:27 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Latitude, I will check it everytime I change the oil and will not wait 15k miles as recommended by Ford. I was just questioning the lack of grease in the fittings and wanting to worn other Ford Chassis owners to check theirs as well.

Rick, The fitting on top of the steering box is not really a cap, but more like a bolt. I plan on calling Ford to see if they can tell me why their is no zirt.

Another thing, I think the Ford engineers should compplete an oil change. The drain plug location causes the oil to drain on the axle. I bought the Fumoto drain plug as recommended in other posts. It is enough of a problem that without the Fumoto drain plug I would hate looking forward to changing the oil. The oil filter was installed from the factory so tight, my oil wrench punctured the oil filter in two places. What happened to hand tight plus a half turn? The oil from the filter drains on the sway bar. The entire process was a mess. I weren't so cheap, I would have the oil changed instead of doing it myself. Just a word of gratitiute to learning about the Fumoto drain plug! It is well worth the money!

Old 11-24-2008, 01:36 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Bobby,

I am suprised about the oil draining on the axle and the sway bar. I see you have a 2007 Explorer. If it is anything like my 2007 SportTrac, Ford was careful to place oil dirverters to guide the oil down from the filter to a drain pan. I do remember having a bear of a time getting the oil filter off the first time. As you say, "What happend to hand tight and then 1/2 turn". None of the oil filter wrenches I had would work and I ended up going to NAPA and buying one just for the SportTrac.

If it makes you feel any better, our Honda CRV makes a real mess when you take the filter off.

Bob
Quote:
Originally posted by Bobby C:
Latitude, I will check it everytime I change the oil and will not wait 15k miles as recommended by Ford. I was just questioning the lack of grease in the fittings and wanting to worn other Ford Chassis owners to check theirs as well.

Rick, The fitting on top of the steering box is not really a cap, but more like a bolt. I plan on calling Ford to see if they can tell me why their is no zirt.

Another thing, I think the Ford engineers should compplete an oil change. The drain plug location causes the oil to drain on the axle. I bought the Fumoto drain plug as recommended in other posts. It is enough of a problem that without the Fumoto drain plug I would hate looking forward to changing the oil. The oil filter was installed from the factory so tight, my oil wrench punctured the oil filter in two places. What happened to hand tight plus a half turn? The oil from the filter drains on the sway bar. The entire process was a mess. I weren't so cheap, I would have the oil changed instead of doing it myself. Just a word of gratitiute to learning about the Fumoto drain plug! It is well worth the money!
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:12 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Nodine,

I sure wish the problem was on the Explorer, becasue then it would be Express Oil Changes problem. However, the problem is on the F53 Ford MH Chassis. The problem started with the drain plug being very tight. I had to use a mallet to get the drain plug started then had to use the wrench to loosen the drain plug all the way out. A drain shroud for the drain plug and oil filter should be installed on the MH Chassis becasue the oil does drain on the axle and steering cross memeber, what-a-mess! I did install the Fumoto valve and bought 1/2" hose for the drain. I have a small bucket to place under the oil filter to catch that oil. And I did only tighten it hand tight plus a 1/2 turn. The next oil change should be much easier than last time. We drove the MH about 100 miles yesterday to an Army Corp campground and did not have any leaks. The MH drove and steered much smoother after lubricating the front-end. A little grease made a big difference.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Old 01-25-2009, 03:55 PM   #7

I had a similar experience. When we bought the coach, it was new, but had been on the dealers lot for 8 months and had 1100 miles on it. I told them I wanted an oil change and chassis lube done prior to delivery. We had the coach home for about a week and I was rolling around underneath on a creeper. The Oil filter still factory overspray on it, the drain plug had never seen a wrench and the zerks were dry as dust. I called them on it and the service was performed on my next visit. I had to quiz the tech on the grease fittings. I asked him, how many did you grease? "All of them." Yes, I asked how many is that? "Eight". I said go back and get the ninth one. I'll be doing the next service myself. It sounds like the Fumoto valve is a good investment?