Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2021, 12:30 PM   #1

Checking SCA level in coolant

I would like to check my SCA with the fleet guard strip test kit.
I have read you do not get an accurate test pulling from the surge tank. The only petcock I can find is on the side of the motor near the coolant filter.
as usual it the T to grip and turn just spins on the threaded shaft since it is frozen. I do not find any other drain. Thought about just putting on an SCA charged filter but I have been told the plastic filter shut off often will not turn or breaks. Then I really have a mess.

Any idea where the fill port is on this set up or if the surge tank is ok to pull a test from?

Thanks for any help.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2021, 12:46 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Yeah, your fine getting your sample from the 'surge' tank.

Don't take it from any 'overflow' tank, as that coolant generally just sits in there.
Old 07-23-2021, 12:51 PM   #3

Thanks Ben,
If I need to add SCA can I just add to the surge tank then? I cant find another fill location.
Old 07-23-2021, 02:10 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Yes.

It will get mixed thru quickly if you pour it into the surge tank.
Old 07-23-2021, 02:41 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I tested mine every year and really had a hard time determining if I needed to add or not. Finally just sent a sample in to JG Lubricants and had it tested. It came back great and I didn't have to add and SCA.

The only way to know if the shut off valve on the coolant filter is stuck is to try it. I just changed my filter and the shut off worked.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 03:01 PM   #6

You don't have to completely remove the coolant filter if shut offs don't work just loosen and catch what runs down in a cut off gallon jug or Tupperware. Strips shouldn't be expired. Lay strips along chart and take a pic of each next to one that's closest or in between. The mix of Molybdate & Nitrate is the one that's confusing. Where combo falls on chart hopefully smack in the green OK section. Because later your going to question yourself and strips continue to change and be wrong at later point, pics will confirm your numbers at right time.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 03:50 PM   #7

Hi Rusty Kramer; X2 on the response you have here from other owners. The strips can be hard to read as to what side of the line is the correct number. Have been using the strips for years. Had the coolant changed when I acquired my 2001 Windsor. That was in 2016. Had just the green coolant installed. Not my choice as the shop messed up as I asked for Fleetguard ES Complete. So every 6 months I test the coolant. Cummin's says change the coolant every 2 years. Yesterday I finally did what JacwJames does and ordered a coolant test kit from JG Lubricant's. Now I will know the real status of the coolant after I get the sample and send it in. Will be interesting to see the results and I will post here when that happens.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 05:08 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I didn't know the history on my coach, we bought it in 2008. I finally tested it in 2015, the test results showed that it was like new coolant.

Ironically I had road debris take out my radiator about 4 months after I it tested. Had it replaced at a Cummins shop, luckily covered by insurance, and they put the ES Compleat in, which is suppose to be a 1 million mile coolant.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 08:55 PM   #9

I finally found a drain on the radiator but it looks pretty rusted up and I am not going to try it. If i get it loose I am afraid it will never seal up again.
I tested from the tank and I am ok but I need some additive for sure.
I am unable to rotate the shut off above the filter. I am not sure which direction it should rotate and can't seem to find anything about it in my cummins manual. I would really like to change the filter but I imagine it would be a huge bath of coolant without the shutoff working?
Thank you to everyone for the help!
Old 07-24-2021, 05:31 AM   #10

I tested and swapped out recharged filter in PO pole barn . I didn't see the shut offs. I have two small 1/4 valves that I seen later, 90% sure they were clockwise. Filter is up high on motor ,I didn't exactly get a bath maybe 1/2 gallon. Someone on here used a shopvac to put vacuum on crankcase to put a Fumoto valve on oil pan and didn't spill anything.
If you are getting a new filter you could punch hole in bottom of filter and drain in pan . Open cap to break vacuum/air lock. I do this to drain my 1 gallon oil filter after the pan.
Old 07-24-2021, 09:48 AM   #11

But will that coolant test kit work on es complete? Is that coolant OAT? Might need something special to test.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 01:01 PM   #12

It depends if the nitrate free, then none to test. I believe the molybdate and nitrate do the same job that's why you combine them in chart. The strip would only test freeze point and possibly residual SCA / DCA additives. You can test freeze point with with little specific gravity mini turkey baster tool. Some OAT still add the SCA/DCA 2 or 4 additives. Here's some literature. To clear or confuse things lol. It mentions PH levels which is easy to test but most MH will never run enough miles to change PH ...IMHO
https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/si.../LT36237NA.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
But will that coolant test kit work on es complete? Is that coolant OAT? Might need something special to test.