RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2011, 03:15 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Choosing a Camelot A Good Idea?

DW has a bee in her bonnet to upgrade coaches, and the 2009 Camelot KFQ is at the top of the list, followed by a slightly older Country Coach with a similar floorplan, and a new Ellipse/Tour.

Some of the newer Fleetwoods also meet our aim of having a mid-cabin TV not partially covered up with the slides closed, but suffer from 10" legroom between sofas or obstructed access to the fridge/potty/bedroom.

We just spent time alongside Beaver and various Monaco owners at the Santa Fe meetup, then at the ABQ Balloon Fiesta. Owners appear devoted to the breed, to a person the "Beavers" seem to be on the verge of doing a Seal Team Six raid on management for terminating production of their beloved coach line.

Right now, we're targeting higher mileage rigs, since ours is in that category; it makes an equitable trade more likely when that whole argument can be averted. Besides, I want one that has been driven and not lived in.

Since our current rig is a 2005, the cash difference paid will converge due to the way these depreciate (the 2009 is still dropping fairly steeply). If my math is correct, we'll be in the $50K zone sometime within the next two years.

So, from those who are the experts, is this a good choice, all things considered?

RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2011, 05:42 PM   #2

Hey Kaycee, Andy & Havana,

Steve, Sharon, Frasier and Niles here. Sharon & I are the full time servants of two Havanese bros. i.e. Frasier & Niles. We live full time in an '03 Monaco Signature.

I think you basic idea of looking for a good value in a higher milage upper end coach is a sound one. As you might expect, I'm quite fond of Monaco products, including those over the top Beavers. If it were my decision to make, I would be looking at coaches of '06-08 vintage built on the Roadmaster Series S chassis. That would be Dynasty, Executive, Signature, Navigator, and some Beavers but I don't know which one. The Series S is very strong & has wonderful drivability.

End of sales pitch. The other coaches you mention are worthy of consideration also. Drive lots of coaches and do your homework.

Safe travels,

Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:59 PM   #3

All the coaches you listed are top quality. Ppurchased our 2008 Camelot 42 PDQ in January 2001, we're the 3rd owner. A little over 9000 miles later we love it even more. I read all the post about low build quality near the end but that has not been our experience. The Roadmaster chassis with tag axel is a dream to drive. Good Luck with your purchase!
StuckySB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:36 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Hey Kaycee, Andy & Havana,

Steve, Sharon, Frasier and Niles here. Sharon & I are the full time servants of two Havanese bros. i.e. Frasier & Niles...
Thanks, Steve!

You are indeed gifted, having the opportunity to support "the boys."

Folks, if you don't believe Havanese's are special, just press the play icon on the screen below .
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:55 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
As you can see from our signature we have a 2009 Camelot and are very pleased. We have put about 18,000 miles on it with few problems - actually fewer that we had on our previous 2007 Endeavor. Tag axle provides a great improvement to drive stability and smoothness. Interior quality is very good and our layout is very livable and comfortable. I have no regrets and, of course, our recommendation is go with a newer unit with a tag - I don't think you will regret it. But the advice of, look at lots, drive as many as you can and then buy what you like and can afford is sound.

The only thing we would change if we bought a new unit is getting the floor plan with the rear bath, a residential refer, and a queen size vs. king size bed (making that king size unit is a real pain because the fit is so tight). All these are minor issues and we still are very pleased with current 42KFQ.

Lew
Old 10-12-2011, 09:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckySB View Post
Ppurchased our 2008 Camelot 42 PDQ in January 2001, we're the 3rd owner.
That is planning ahead! The only knock I heard on the Camelot was that the 2006 and earlier coaches had the aluminum superstructure not the steel one used in the higher end Monaco coaches and there was a known issue with the structure holding in the windshield and they had a tendency to pop out. This was corrected in later model years. Now, the Monaco dealer that told me this was trying to sell me a 2007 at the time, so take it with a grain of salt.

As to us all being die-hards for our brand - there is some of that, but the Monaco coaches all have very similar build quality, and the chassis used was common across similar coaches in the Monaco, Holiday Rambler, and Beaver lines.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:06 AM   #7

LOL, well I've wanted one since 2001. We purchased this year 2011.
StuckySB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:01 AM   #8

The Camelot still uses some aluminum in the superstructure. Some think that the chassis is the same as the Dynasty et al. Not true. The Camelot is a raised rail chassis and not a semi monocoque. But theCamelot is excellent bang for the buck with many of the featuers of the higher end coaches.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:49 AM   #9

Just to be clear, the Dynasty, Exec, Sig, Imperial, Navigator, Marquis and Patriot Thunder were/are all on the S-Series chassis with the steel super structure.

The Camelot, Scepter, and Contessa were/are on the RR10S chassis. The main difference is the RR10S uses an aluminum superstructure on the steel chassis.

I was told that prior to 2006 there was a known problem that the cage that held the front cap and windshield was not stiff enough and it could lead to windshields popping out. 2007 and later the design, not the material, was changed to provide additional reinforcement to stiffen the front cap.

There is also an RR10R used on the Cheetah but I have not looked closely to see what the difference is.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 03:06 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
We bought our '08 Camelot "new" but late - December 09. After nearly two years and 18k miles, we've been very pleased. Few problems.
This is our second Monaco, the first was an 06 Knight. We like the Beaver products as well. Too bad Monaco has dropped the line.

2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote