Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2017, 08:31 AM   #1

Chrome driving mirrors

Has anyone with aMonaco Sig or Exec., Dynasty had issues with the chrome peeling off their mirrors? Would having them re-chromed be less expensive than replacing them (used or salvaged parts)? These are the double with turn signals.power, heated, cameras,etc.,
lthomas510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2017, 08:39 AM   #2

Not familiar with your specific mirror. But I did have the two head Velvac mirrors replaced with Monaco auction purchased three head mirrors. (I wanted the third top mirror to have angled upwards to see the top sides of the coach, while backing into tree line sights. Has worked very well for that purpose.) These are plastic shells, with a chrome looking film over them. Not real chrome.

If yours are that way, here is a google search on plastic chrome repair:

https://www.google.com/#q=plastic+chrome+plating+repair

Suspect if you removed them, and took them to a body shop, they'd probably be able to respray them for you(?). Or possibly do it yourself?

Now the arms are a different story, and are real chrome. But IMO, not very good real chrome. My arms were bubbled in a few locations when I bought the rig. Have not done this yet, but my To Do includes removing the arms, and taking them to a shop I know that does custom chroming for motorcycles. Probably cost me a few hundred to have them walnut blasted and re-chromed - but would be a much higher quality application then came from Velvac (IMHO).

Best of luck to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 03:29 PM   #3

Replacement Velvac mirrors are about $1K each. The plastic mirror head covers are about $85 each for the triple head version. The bases are over $200 ea from Velvac. There is a place in Florida that does a great rechoming job on the bases and arms but don't know the cost.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 04:42 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
The Florida company is Space Coast Plating and they are VERY good. I had the Velvac components rechromed by them at $200 per side. They utilize a much better process than Velvac and therefore they claim it will last much longer than the original. So far so good.
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote