Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2014, 02:51 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
City water fill valve leaking?

2003 Executive 43 SDDS2: Five days or so after emptying the fresh water tank, water starts dripping out of the tank overflow. Opening the tank drain valve immediately stops the leak from the overflow. The tank monitor confirms that the tank is full, but that system isn't completely reliable. We have been hooked up to city water the whole time.

I suspect that the city water fill valve is beginning to fail, allowing water to slowly fill the tank. Is it that simple or is there more to the system than that? Am I missing something else?

I don't have a plumbing diagram. If one exists, I'd be grateful for a copy.

Cheers,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2014, 09:58 AM   #2

It either that or the check valves in the water pump have failed or picked up some debris allowing water from the city source to backfill into the FW tank. If there is a valve between the pump and the FW tank you can close it to see if the problem stops. If not, clamp the line temporarily. It that's the issue you might be able to repair the pump if you can get the pump head apart. If it's an original one it might be best to replace it.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:27 AM   #3

If you have an outside shower, check that both valves are OFF. if they are left on they can allow city water to fill your tank. Can also prevent your water heater from getting hot as it will mix the hot and cold water. What happens is the shower head is turned off but the valves are left open.
Check it.
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 04:41 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the suggestions. There is a clear plastic device on the input side of the pump, between the pump and the shut off valve on the line feeding it. Is that the back flow valve or is it buried somewhere in the tank compartment?

No outside shower, and the inside shower does not have a shut off between the main valve and the showerhead, so I think I can rule that out.

Cheers,
Old 11-24-2014, 05:17 PM   #5

That is a strainer on the input side of the pump. I believe the one way valve is integral to the pump. The other thing to check is that ball valve that you turn to fill the tank. Maybe that is leaking.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:29 PM   #6

FWIW I would be inclined to switch to the pump long enough to really flush out the valving in case all it is is a bit of debris in the wrong place. Maybe before showers is a good time as it gets a couple of minutes of run time.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:29 PM   #7

Had the same problem changed the Swan valve twice but the problem was the pump valve failed and let the water to back flow to the fresh water tank shut the valve between the pump and fresh water tank problem solved
mccrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:11 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Ok, it sounds like I have more detective work to do.
We'll be staying in one place in December so that will give me time to explore this at length.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Cheers,
Old 11-25-2014, 09:29 AM   #9

I had the same problem on my 07 Diplomat. Turned out it was the city/fill valve. Gave up trying to find exact replacement at big box stores and finally ordered from Monaco. Pretty expensive (around $100 as I recall) but saved a lot of frustration. Fairly easy to replace IF you can get to it.
arby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:50 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Just to put closure to this, operating the city water fill valve 15-20 times appears to have cleared whatever was causing it to leak into the tank. After three days the tank is still empty.

Cheers,
Old 12-05-2014, 03:27 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffeekid View Post
If you have an outside shower, check that both valves are OFF. if they are left on they can allow city water to fill your tank.
I'm having trouble picturing how this could happen. Leaving the hot and cold valves on while the shower head is turned off can connect the hot and cold lines, thereby diluting the hot water and making it not as hot, but how can it possibly back feed into the fresh water tank?

The only mechanisms I can think of are the already mentioned pump (most common) and the city water diverter valve (less common.) Good to hear that the OP figured it out and it was an easy fix!
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, water