RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2011, 03:47 PM   #1

City Water / Tank fill valve

My valve has developed an internal leak.............ie..........when in the city water position it slowly fills the tank. Looks like a major job to get to it. Anyone with experience on this? 07 Diplomat PDQ

arby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2011, 04:05 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Before you do that check no more thing, it's a long shot but it's easy to do. Remove the handle and check where it attaches to the valve stem. It may be slipping on the valve stem not allowing the valve to fully close. Also try to operate the valve with a pair of pliers being very careful not to strip the soft brass stem. If that doesn't work, it's time to change the valve.

RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by arby View Post
My valve has developed an internal leak.............ie..........when in the city water position it slowly fills the tank. Looks like a major job to get to it. Anyone with experience on this? 07 Diplomat PDQ
You, need to be sure it's the fill valve and not the 12 volt water pump, internal leakage in the pump will do the same thing.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:58 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by arby View Post
arby,

I have had mine off twice, not because there was anything wrong with it but because it has to be removed to take off the white panel. If yours is like mine there is a black panel in the upper right corner above the valve. take off the handle on the valve. Take off that panel and reach in behind the valve and feel for the two water connections. You can use your hand to turn the nuts removing each water line. Now remove the screws holding the valve to the white panel. It takes some work but you can maneuver the valve out from the back and out the opening where the panel was removed.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:40 PM   #5

Thanks for all of the replies and help.

RJay, you were right on. If I take the handle loose and turn slightly past the normal "stop" the leak stops. There is a nut behind the handle. I wonder if I can loosen it and make some adjustment? The handle is not slipping on the shaft.

I turned the valve 360 both ways several times. I thought maybe there was some debris lodged in there causing the problem but it didn't help. Suggestions?

Nodine, I took that black panel off. I can see where it is possible to change the valve without taking that big white panel out which looks like a horrible job.

And idea where to get the exact replacement for the valve?

Thanks again for all the help.

RB
Old 10-25-2011, 07:36 AM   #6

Problem solved. Had to buy a new valve from Monaco for a mere $129 !!! Spent about half that in gas running all around Houston looking for one. The bottom fitting on the new valve was installed 90 degrees off and was really locked in there with pipe dope. Took two big wrenches and two of us to move it but after that it was a 5 minute job.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:57 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It may look like a major job however let me tell you what I found on my rig when I had to plumb near there (One of the lines hooked to it in fact)

I pulled a few screws, Unhooked a pair of color coded quick disconnects and the entire panel came out to the picnic table where I had all outdoors to work on it.

Standard 1/2 inch IPT fittings, even if they are plastic No special tools or skills needed.

Yours may be easier or harder depending.

Oh, and the valve is a standard hardware valve in most cases... No need for special RV types. Though in some cases... I don't know And the handle may be different at the hardware, or the mounting.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:36 PM   #8

Damon may have had a better idea but there is nothing "standard" about this valve. Home Depot and Lowes have many different "ball cock" valves but none that have 3 hose fittings. Was well worth the 129 bucks to me to let Monaco and UPS deal with the frustration of getting the correct part to me.

Tags
tank, water