Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2017, 12:06 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Class A Insurance feedback

I have a two part question,right now I have State Farm insurance on my Motor home and Jeep. I pay around $3600.00 year for the motor home and it sits 51 weeks out of the year. The Jeep is around $1200.00 a year. Any feed back on better rates. I'm only insured for comprehensive with full coverage nothing mechanically just for accidents,on both.

I will be soon only living and traveling full time in the Motor home and pulling the Jeep all year. Is there a insurance company that will cover my Motor home and car and not cost a arm and leg. Will any company insure the motor home like a house, I mean insure the AC, motor, transmission, and other major things?
allbrand1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2017, 12:09 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
We pay about $1800/yr on our Jeep and coach. Miller Insurance out of Portland Oregon I'd the brokerage we went through. Coach, jeep and 1 million umbrella.
I checked numerous times on the maintenance coverage...all were way too expensive. Like 5k/yr
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 12:16 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I pay $800 for the coach.
That gives us 4 weeks a year on the road and the rest stored at home
Acuity Insurance was half the price of Good Sam
1CoolZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 01:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by allbrand1999 View Post
I have a two part question,right now I have State Farm insurance on my Motor home and Jeep. I pay around $3600.00 year for the motor home and it sits 51 weeks out of the year. The Jeep is around $1200.00 a year. Any feed back on better rates. I'm only insured for comprehensive with full coverage nothing mechanically just for accidents,on both.

I will be soon only living and traveling full time in the Motor home and pulling the Jeep all year. Is there a insurance company that will cover my Motor home and car and not cost a arm and leg. Will any company insure the motor home like a house, I mean insure the AC, motor, transmission, and other major things?
No mention of what you are insuring as a MH.
I have a $500 deductible with full coverage on my Bounder including full replacement value for $1072 per year via Allied/Nationwide insurance.
$3600 is A LOT of cashola.
I also live in Florida.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:41 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I pay less than the OP does here in WA for two cars and the MH through AARP/The Hartford. And it went up after the late DW died as her record counted and she didn't drive for years.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 02:00 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Contact the folks at National Interstate. They insure me and I am paying a lot less then you quoted.

National Interstate Insurance - An Insurance Experience Built Around You.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:07 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Insurance company`s use many things to determine your rate -- Your credit score & zip code plays a big part -- So someone from different states & credit scores will have different answer`s for you -- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 07:47 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Your insurance sounds very high. We pay less than a third with Safeco and have pretty good coverage, but a $1000 deuctable.
Old 06-08-2017, 05:45 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
We got our insurance thru the AARP with the Hartford Insurance. For the MH we pay $941/yr. We also got our homeowners and auto insurance thru the Hartford at the same time. We unfortunately had an accident with the MH and they paid for everything (except the deductible) - no problems. What yours will cost will depend on your vehicle, deductible, etc. but it's worth a phone call.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:30 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Check out Epic Insurance in Souix Falls, SD. Gina Shiver, (605) 271-8100. She specializes in insurance for full time RV'rs. She's a very responsive agent.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Willard View Post
Insurance company`s use many things to determine your rate -- Your credit score & zip code plays a big part -- So someone from different states & credit scores will have different answer`s for you -- Bill Willard
Bingo!
Old 06-08-2017, 06:57 AM   #12

allbrand1999,

We renewed our annual policy with The Hartford thru AARP in April for $705.47. That after a comprehensive claim for $13k and windshield replacement. $1,000 deductible on collision, $500 on comp. Someone is going to Tahiti on YOUR dime with the premiums you are paying!

We drove 20k miles in two years and used our coach over 200 days in those same years.

Fulltimers insurance will have some is a little different animal, but you've gotten some good tips here. Let us know how it works out for you.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:12 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just paid my annual premiums on the coach listed below (Full-timer policy) and a 2014 Volvo... $1133 and $749. I use John Dougherty of Dougherty and Assoc (605-361-6318) out of Sioux Falls, SD which is an independent insurance agent... and that's the key, in my opinion. When I get a spike in rates at the time of renewal, he shops a bunch of other companies to find a better deal, without me asking, by the way. That's the benefit of an independent agency.

Currently with Nationwide/Allied but the actual underwriters are AMCO Insurance and Depositors Insurance. This is the third renewal with them as the rate increases are relatively small. This time around, the coach went up about $150 and the Volvo went up about $100.

No... before you ask, I've never filed a claim... so I have no experience with how the above entities operate in the event of a loss. We use insurance as more of a catastrophic coverage rather than turning in claims for small stuff.

PS: Allbrand1999, all of the above has nothing to do with mechanical. Full-timers insurance is collision, comprehensive, some contents, and some liability.

In my opinion, skip the mechanical insurances and just put back whatever you think the premiums would have been so that, when you need to fix something, you have the cash. And, trust me, as a full-timer, there is always something to fix... but that's part of the fun!
blang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:24 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just insured my new 2017 Holiday Rambler Vacationer for $927.00 a year. I carry $1000.00 deductable, full replacement value and all the rest. I went through Twin Peaks Insurance Agency in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. I live in New Port Richey so my rate and yours should be about the same. It is covered by Safeco Insurance. Twin Peaks phone number is 954-791-5007
darbyjudy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, insurance