Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2008, 03:22 PM   #1
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I'm very anal about keeping my 3M front mask clean and routinely wax it. Recently, I read a post where someone was using a product called "Plexus" to clean their mask and it worked well. Duh....I've been using "Plexus" to clean the plastic windshield on my motorcycle for years. It takes the bug splatters off quickly and fills in all of the small scratches while cleaning at the same time.

I tried it on the mask before my last trip and really liked the way it returned the luster to the mask, even better than waxing. I went out today to start prepping the coach for our trip next week. I looked at the mask and it was still holding the luster. The few bugs that had committed suicide just flicked off. I reapplied the "Plexus" with a microfiber towel and the mask immediately came clean.

I've tried just about every wax known to man on my coach to find that perfect finish and I'm still looking, but I think I've found the perfect product for the 3M mask. It's available at motorcycle shops and probably other places. Here is a photo of what the can looks like.

"PLexus"
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2008, 03:22 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I'm very anal about keeping my 3M front mask clean and routinely wax it. Recently, I read a post where someone was using a product called "Plexus" to clean their mask and it worked well. Duh....I've been using "Plexus" to clean the plastic windshield on my motorcycle for years. It takes the bug splatters off quickly and fills in all of the small scratches while cleaning at the same time.

I tried it on the mask before my last trip and really liked the way it returned the luster to the mask, even better than waxing. I went out today to start prepping the coach for our trip next week. I looked at the mask and it was still holding the luster. The few bugs that had committed suicide just flicked off. I reapplied the "Plexus" with a microfiber towel and the mask immediately came clean.

I've tried just about every wax known to man on my coach to find that perfect finish and I'm still looking, but I think I've found the perfect product for the 3M mask. It's available at motorcycle shops and probably other places. Here is a photo of what the can looks like.

"PLexus"
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 04:21 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the tip on the Plexus. I have been looking for something to help my front mask. It looks real bad, and I don't think anything will restore it, but I am just hoping for "better".

When I was at Harrisburg, someone gave me a "free demo" on some "amazing product" that was just going to melt the bugs away. I left for a minute and came back to see them scrubbing away with an abrasive pad. I was furious. That was my last "free demo" of anything.

Funny, as now I sell a product that I do demos with. I typically do it on my vehicle tho, and let the person judge from there

--kev

2006 Monaco Knight 40PLQ | 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
digNbubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 05:40 PM   #4

I too got tired of looking at the dull 3m mask. Just for giggles I tried using a rotary buffing machine for cars. I used a car wax, TURTLE WAX and the buffing machine and the mask is as shiny as new now. I guess it just has to be power buffed once in a while.......
Old 11-19-2008, 05:53 PM   #5
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
We have a fifth wheel and to stand on a ladder holding a buffer is very hard to do. Ours was real dull, and when I washed it I had white water all over the street, I decided I would try the stuff I use on my Gold wing. I don't use water on the bike and and it is real shiny and 98% plastic and it works wonders its nor a aerosol so it is safer for the Ozone. Its called " Cycle Care" . It works for me. It is a bit expensive, but the bugs come off easy too.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:22 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I'll try it. I have also tried about everything under the sun. Lots of things will work ok when they are fresh but wait a day or two and it takes a jack hammer to get them off. A few weeks ago I was using a clay bar to remove some road line paint specks and tried it on the front mask. Really did a great job but I like easy and using a clay bar is far from that and many steps to clean up and rewax. I'll try the Plexus.

thanks for the tip.

BTW, have you tried it on your teeth? You know what they say about a happy motorcycle rider!!!LOL

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 05:54 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Don...Thanks for the tip on "Plexus". The park where I stay doesn't allow you to wash your own coach using a hose so I used a waterless cleaner. It worked great but required as much time as waxing it. I hired an RV cleaning "professional" to wash my coach and he used an abrasive pad to scrub the mask. It has many tiny scratches all over it and sounds like "Plexus might bring it back to new condition.
nutensteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 03:41 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
After you get the front nice and clean, start applying a product called RejeX. It is a polymar coating and will keep everything from sticking as long as you apply it every month or so. Goes on very easy. Wipe on, let it dry to a haze and then wipe it off. (It is mentioned on the 3M website). You can even use it on your windshield. Just yesterday we applied it to the entire coach instead of waxing. Coach looks better than the day we picked it up from the dealer. Fantastic product.

2007 Camelot 40 PDQ
Freemn2 is offline   Reply With Quote