Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2021, 03:31 PM   #1

Cleaning rear radiator

I cleaned my radiator and Intercooler yesterday. I have tried different degreasers and was never really satisfied with the results even using compressed air to force it in deep. Well I purchased 4 cans of the spray AC coil cleaner from Lowes. I backed it into the driveway which makes the coach rear end high. I sprayed the radiator and intercooler with the cleaner, it foamed up and seemed to flow through the radiator slowly at first. I put it on 3 coats or passes using all 4 cans. I let it set for 15 minutes and washed off with water until It looked like the water landing on the driveway was clear. I blew compressed air through it and washed it again followed by compressed air again a couple more times. What I noticed with this cleaner is that there was no blowback when I sprayed the radiator with water! It seemed to go straight through the with no resistance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2021, 03:49 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mit12 View Post
I sprayed the radiator and intercooler with the cleaner, it foamed up and seemed to flow through the radiator slowly at first.

Please clarify: Did you only clean from the back or also from the front?

The front of the CAC is where the vast majority of the dirt and debris will be "filtered out" of the cooling package.

VERY unlikely that spraying or hosing from the back will remove anything from the front of the CAC.
Old 12-03-2021, 04:01 PM   #3

Spartan Chassis
I certainly hope for your sake that wasn't a caustic AC coil cleaner. The standard coil cleaners that HVAC shops use reacts with aluminum by foaming like a dog with rabes. The thing is, it's also eating away at the aluminum while doing this. AC guys don't care; they make their money off of selling their customers whole new AC units after several coil cleanings using this stuff. I use the stuff to degrease aluminum engine parts, but I'd never use it on a heat exchanger.
Injuneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 12:47 AM   #4

The coil cleaner that I used is safe for all metals. My coach which is a 2008 Monaco Diplomat 40 PDQ has the intercooler above the radiator. I do not think that there is anything in front of the radiator. I cleaned from the back figuring that there is no use trying to push the debris all the way through the radiator.
Old 12-04-2021, 12:45 PM   #5

Similar safe stuff can be bought in gallons and used with garden sprayer for better pressure and to reach down in shrouds corners. It's how we use at work on coils.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 12:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mit12 View Post
My coach which is a 2008 Monaco Diplomat 40 PDQ has the intercooler above the radiator. I do not think that there is anything in front of the radiator. I cleaned from the back figuring that there is no use trying to push the debris all the way through the radiator.

Yes, with a STACKED cooling package arrangement, you can effectively clean from the back.

Thanks for the update on your cooling package arrangement.
Old 12-04-2021, 01:32 PM   #7
YC1

I have been using that coil cleaner for years and have recommended it many times.

I do take my engine cover off and spray from the inside as well.

The radiator shows no signs of damage after many uses.

I would like to buy it by the gallon.
2016 Ford F150 Limited V6 with Ready Brake
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 08:56 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I trucked for myself for 20 years with a refer trailer, the theroking refrigeration unit on the front of the trailer was above the truck and the bugs would go right in the radiator, this was long before the aero trucks of today, so every couple of years I would spray Easyoff oven cleaner into the radiator and let it soak for 10-15 minutes then hit it with the garden hose, that cleaned out the bugs and crap!
Iím not sure Iíd recommend this for a coach cooling system but it works! FYI.
Old 12-05-2021, 11:38 AM   #9

Most Oven cleaners are caustic based and bad for aluminium. Even higher PH cleaners will remove protective aluminium oxide layer that form on coolers , this layer is best formed gradually when fresh and new ,not reformed after being removed. We have caustic tanks at work to eat aluminium off of other parts and off/out of process screens.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radiator, rear