Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2014, 06:32 AM   #1

Cleaning rear radiators

2010 Monaco Diplomat 42 SKQ Will want to clean the rear radiators soon. I have cleaned hundreds of A/C coils but do not want to spray into the engine nor do I want to climb under the coils to spray outwards. What do others with rear radiators do?
tranquility is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2014, 12:32 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
2010 Monaco Diplomat 42 SKQ Will want to clean the rear radiators soon. I have cleaned hundreds of A/C coils but do not want to spray into the engine nor do I want to climb under the coils to spray outwards. What do others with rear radiators do?
tranquility
Google "cleaning rv rear radiator", for a lot of great information ...... (and some not-so-great).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:37 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Drop a sheet of plastic or a tarp inside the engine compartment behind the radiator the spray away.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:34 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
That spray toward the engine won't make it past the fan. By the time it gets through the radiator and CaC, it has no energy left. You engine will get much wetter just driving on a wet road. You're not going to be using much pressure.
BPOE #2504
Bobs911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:24 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobs911 View Post
That spray toward the engine won't make it past the fan. By the time it gets through the radiator and CaC, it has no energy left. You engine will get much wetter just driving on a wet road. You're not going to be using much pressure.
I agree. I spray the radiator down with a bottle of Simple Green, then spray it clear with a garden hose nozzle, all from the outside.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:10 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I took the rear grill off and sprayed the radiator and CAC with dawn and then opened the engine compartment and sprayed as much as I could because the fan blades block alot. I then got under the MH on the curb side and sprayed both again using dawn and let it set for 15 miniutes and sprayed it with a water hose using a nozzle very carefully. You can also use engine degreaser like Gunk but the dawn worked well and is less harsh.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_M View Post
I spray the radiator down with a bottle of Simple Green, then spray it clear with a garden hose nozzle, all from the outside.
tranquility
On my rear radiator coach the fan/CAC side of the CAC/radiator "sandwich" is the side that collects the most gunk, (especially the perimeter/outer edges of the CAC).
Spraying from only the outside will not sufficiently/thoroughly clean the CAC.. (or the sides of the CAC and radiator facing each other).

Here is the procedure I use:
1.) Soak both sides with Extreme Simple Green: Extreme Simple Green or another "aluminum safe" cleaning product....(ordinary Simple Green is not safe for aluminum).
2.) Let it soak for 15-30 minutes.
3.) Spray/rinse from both sides.
4.) Have a helper move a light everywhere on one side of the sandwich while I look for internal blockage from the other side, (OR start the engine and hold a shop rag in the air stream to verify that air is moving through all areas of the radiator).
5.) Repeat if necessary.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:02 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
No need to cover the engine just cover the altanator or use the engine to shove the soap in the CAC and radiator also can use the engine to flush with clean water with the engine running just dont spray the altanator.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radiator