Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2019, 03:57 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Cleaning Snow Off Roof

Hi Folks!

Just an FYI for anyone winter camping in the snow.... I was out getting the snow off the car today and I thought...why not check out the roof while I was at it?

So I went up with a broom and it turned out to be the smart move. Our snow is very wet and I would not be surprised if there was 500 pounds or more of it on the roof. I'm guessing I stumbled onto something that's actually important - getting that weight off the roof
BobJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2019, 06:35 PM   #2

Unfortunately, I am at home in Ontario this winter. I have cleaned mine off about six times so far. We got 16 inches of snow yesterday, so I guess I will be heading back up there on Saturday. Light fluffy snow isn't bad, but if it rains, or gets mild, it is best to remove it for sure. I normally store it for the winter if I don't go south. This will be the last time I leave it out for sure. Hopefully, I will be in it, somewhere around Arizona or Texas. My friend spent the winter in his in British Columbia. He pretty much had to clean off the slide toppers right away if it snowed. If he didn't, it would make the toppers sag, then the snow would melt, and turn to ice. If it was going to snow a lot, he would pull in the slides until the snow stopped.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:39 PM   #3

Me too, today I clean the 6 or so inches off. Here in ND we are getting our share of the white stuff.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:39 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Me too! (Go South) - but I was shocked how much the wet snow weighed. I pushed it off with a broom in chunks and it seemed that each chunk must have been 25 or 30 pounds - and there was a lot of it up there. A significant portion of it was thick ice with two feet of snow on top.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:33 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Yeah, you can easily be looking at a few thousand pounds of wet snow on a large RV roof.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:18 AM   #6
tcg

My RV is in storage in Michigan.

I haven't visited in a couple weeks but we just had a few inches of snow followed by a day of freezing rain.

It's too cold to climb up there, I think of all the things I'm worried about today I'll skip that one.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 06:42 AM   #7

I clean mine off after about 16" to 18" of snow accumulate on the roof. Done it 3 times so far this year. I had a truck topper collapse with the weight of snow on it . I'm not going to take any chances with the motorhome.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:46 AM   #8

Me too, up here in Maine . UGGG!!!! Peter in Maine.
peterdube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 06:42 PM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Another tip, I learned last week while traveling. Started snowing heavy one morning I was planning on moving. Had two slides out, both passenger side. Front hyd slide came in ok, bedroom cable slide stopped about 3" out. Snow jambed in topper cover. Had to pull the ladder out and get the snow out.

Moral of this story .... Snow in the forcast, and you plan on moving, keep the slides in !
Old 02-15-2019, 08:42 PM   #10

They say that a square foot of snow weighs an average of 1 pound per inch. So 12 inches of snow on an 8*25 foot long trailer can weigh over 2400 pounds. And if it's wet it weighs even more!
Old 02-15-2019, 10:25 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo57 View Post
They say that a square foot of snow weighs an average of 1 pound per inch. So 12 inches of snow on an 8*25 foot long trailer can weigh over 2400 pounds. And if it's wet it weighs even more!
Holy crap!! My unit is 36 feet long and it had two feet of snow on top and it was fully wet and the bottom inch was ice.....

I thought maybe 500 pounds but now that you say that.....it must have been a lot more. And to be sure, it makes sense, each chunk I moved off seemed to be something like 30 - 50 pounds and I moved off probably at least 50 chunks...if not more....
Old 03-29-2019, 11:48 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I am in the mountains every weekend in the winter and know all about sweeping snow off my roof and slides... I installed nonskids all over the roof to help me up there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-03-08 14.06.35.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	334.1 KB
ID:	239957   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-04-24 17.44.58.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	233.0 KB
ID:	239958  

SKI COACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 12:22 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Priceless. Everyone on here goes south for the winter and never sees rain. You go North and into the snow. I love it!

I bet the manufacturer never thought they would see that!
Old 03-29-2019, 10:07 PM   #14

I spent many years as a volunteer ski patroller. If it was snowing, I always kept the slides in. It wasn't worth the daily effort keeping snow off the slide covers. The fabric won't roll in if it's frozen. Nearly impossible to keep up with it during snow storms. Then all I had to do is clear the snow of the roof once a day in heavy snow fall. If I didn't get it off the same day, it was much harder to remove on day two. The average snow fall can be a foot day, so you have to keep after it.

Tags
roof