Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2015, 09:23 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Clear coat peeling!

The clear coat is peeling at the top of the rear cap on my 2002 Windsor. Any suggestions on how it can stop this? Thanks!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2015, 10:28 AM   #2

Following.

I have the same problem with my '03 Scepter.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:44 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to CFXCH
I have the same problem on the top of the front cap with my '07 Scepter.
CFXCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:48 AM   #4

Once it starts there is no cheap or easy way to reverse clear coat peel.

Before it gets too bad I'd have a professional body shop repair it. In most cases several months later you will find it has spread to a new location and this will have to be repaired. The advantage to repairing as you go is the $$$ for each repair are cheaper and spread out over time & your Coach continues to look good.

Just pray you don't also start to see side wall grazing & checking!

Best solution is get it repaired while it is still a simple fix and then immediately trade for a newer MH...or start budgeting for paint/finish maintenance in your annual budget.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 12:27 PM   #5

While you're waiting to get it repaired, I would do a good job waxing the affected area to help prevent discoloration of the paint that is now exposed.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:59 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Go to a RV Collision Repair Shop and get a partial paint done. They will have to sand, prime, paint and add clear coat.
If you have a roof that needs recovering/resealing too, then having the roof material applied and extending over the corners to the molding in a color (white, grey) you like may be an option.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 04:13 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Most any reliable body shop can sand it with 1000-1200 grit and spray new clear coat on the affected spot. Mine has the same problem.
vettehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:39 AM   #8

Funny, we are headed to Creative Coach this Sunday for a visit to have our front cap redone for the same issue. Not cheap, but it will be done right and should last a long, long time.
Bill767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:07 AM   #9
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettehead View Post
Most any reliable body shop can sand it with 1000-1200 grit and spray new clear coat on the affected spot. Mine has the same problem.
Or do it yourself with a can of clear coat. If really rough you can use 600 grit with water. Mask the area to be sanded and lightly sand. Don't panic, as long as you are gentle you will be fine. Once the roughness is gone then give it several coats. There is no real magic or tricks. Just patience.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:04 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Or do it yourself with a can of clear coat. If really rough you can use 600 grit with water. Mask the area to be sanded and lightly sand. Don't panic, as long as you are gentle you will be fine. Once the roughness is gone then give it several coats. There is no real magic or tricks. Just patience.

I wondered about doing that! It seems to me that if I just use a very fine sandpaper, sand around the edges, then apply a coat of clear coat, that maybe it would stop the peeling!

Anyone know any reasons why this would not work?
Old 01-29-2015, 09:21 AM   #11

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't mean to steal the thread but why repair gel coat?
I have had the same problem with various things in the past. The body shop I use just sands off the gel coat and paints with the best industrial paint available. It is far superior to any gel coat. I don't want to start an argument but there are manufactures of fiberglass products that do not gel coat. They paint and man what beautiful finishes they achieve. Check into it!
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:42 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Joe,
I have been told by two experienced auto painters that you can't just sand the rough edges where it is peeling and re clear, unless you are willing to accept seeing shadow lines from the edges. I was urged to wet sand into the color coat, re-color, then apply clear. I did this on a very large area of our old coach ant it turned out nice.
I am also about to redo the tops of my front and rear caps where it is peeling. When in Mesa recently, I got a pint of each base color mixed up and put into spray cans. It cost only $5 + the cost of the paint. They also had catalyzed clear in spray cans. It has a capsule that you inject into the can which catalyzes the clear. Not cheap at $24/can but super easy.
I actually plan to use a good HVLP spray gun to do my caps, but you could probably do it with the spray cans if the area is not too big. Please note that the clear has toxic components and it is recommended that you use a pressure mask and protective wear to guard against exposure. Some folks have used a good canister mask but I am not sure that is good enough depending on your exposure.
One nice thing about doing it yourself is that roughness in the clear can be color sanded and buffed to a real nice finish.
I recommend you check with your local automotive paint supply to see if they can provide the needed paint and/or spray cans, and ask their advice on application, etc.
If you can't find Diamont paint locally, I think you can order it from the same store where I got mine. If you need it, PM me and I will send you their contact info.
Good luck
Roy
Old 01-29-2015, 09:45 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
P.S. That was $5 per can to put it in rattle cans.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:42 AM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by narampa View Post
Don't mean to steal the thread but why repair gel coat?
I have had the same problem with various things in the past. The body shop I use just sands off the gel coat and paints with the best industrial paint available. It is far superior to any gel coat. I don't want to start an argument but there are manufactures of fiberglass products that do not gel coat. They paint and man what beautiful finishes they achieve. Check into it!

This is not GelCoat. The MH has full-body paint with clearcoat.