Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2016, 03:10 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Clear plastic coating on front of coach

Apparently mildew or mold, or some such has invaded beneath the plastic coating. Has anyone ever removed this stuff from their coach? I've peeled a couple of small sections near the side edge and it's definitely on the underside of the plastic. It appears to be a very difficult job, if not impossible one, to remove this stuff. Does anyone have any ideas of the best way to go about removing it. I was thinking hair dryer or something similar. But I'm sure open to suggestions.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2016, 04:01 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You can do a search here on the forum or just google removing diamond shield from front of motor home. There are many articles on the subject and yes you are correct it is a pain to get off. Some have a unique way of doing it that doesn't seem to bad but it is still labor intensive. Good luck and hope it all works out.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 04:04 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Here's a link that may be helpful.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Diam...com&gws_rd=ssl

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:47 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I had the same problem on my 2002 Windsor and removed the 3M mask in 2012, took ~40 hours doing it myself.

Used a good size portable steamer to loosen the the 3M mask and heavy plastic scrapers to peel it off in very small pieces.

There was a heavy layer of some sort of glue that was hard to get off, I tried several solvents including one recommended from an auto body shop. I found the best thing was gasoline. My wife has dogs and had some puppy pads in the RV, these worked well as I would put some gas on one of the pads and then hold it on an area for ~minute and then scrapped the glue off and wiping off the remnants with the pad and or cloth.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 07:05 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Google Wizzy wheel I used it with a drill about an hour a day like already stated 40 hours. What a job yuck, but it looks a whole lot better when done.
Seemed to me heat gun only melted the stuff and I tried all the chemical stuff for vinyl removal none of it would touch that clear vinyl.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:20 AM   #6

There's a guy in Texas that removes it by parking the RV in the sun for a few hours and then starts by getting an edge up and pulls at an angle VERY slowly. You do need high heat and maybe high UV.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:28 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
here's some videos...
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...Diamond+shield
My sister said hers took weeks part time to remove... but they did it themselves...
Old 09-22-2016, 06:43 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
The 3M mask on my coach had so many hair line cracks I could not get any large pieces to peel off. I could work for an hour to get a decent edge started to try and pull and it would just tear off.

Not a fun job but well worth the effort.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 02:39 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Is it true that Diamond Shield holds up better in the sun than the original 3M mask?
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:47 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Sorta off-topic, but I saw a company on eBay selling carbon-fiber look-alike decal material in large 24x60 inch rolls.

I realize it's still more of the dreaded vinyl, but at least it would cover the current ugly cracked stuff and might look cool... if not intimidating.
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 02:16 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
coating removal

Take your time, you'll need it. GooGone and a scraper. I started using a plastic razor from Ace but a friend lent me a little knife(bone knife?) It worked great and did not scratch my paint. The knife is that little white stick you see sitting on the rag beside the goo gone. In the pic you can see I was about half done
Pick some nice hot days to do the work.
Also helps to have a cooler full of your favorite beverage beside you. This job isn't rocket science, just long and tedious, and definately worth it.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:22 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
coating removal

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3433.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	513.5 KB
ID:	139750
Old 09-23-2016, 02:27 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
coating removal

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3433.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	440.1 KB
ID:	139751
Old 09-24-2016, 05:33 PM   #14

As you already know, it will be a tedious task. When I removed mine on my 2003 Camelot, I had my detailers attempt the removal. That was my first mistake. They used a heat gun to remove the plastic and I think by doing that, it made the adhesive harder to remove. I tried everything to remove it to no avail. The manufacturer of the shield said they use xylene for the removal. That did not work for me. In the areas where the Detailer did not remove anything, I used a steamer for the initial removal then used an adhesive remover from a company called auto tech. That worked great. Still a lot of work but did the job. I am left with some scratches in the paint.

Larry