Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2019, 09:33 PM   #1

Clearance lights stopped working

Yesterday all my marker lights weren't working on my pre-trip inspection. All the brake lights, tail lights, head lights, etc. were working as normal.
The first thing I checked was the 10 amp "marker lights" fuse expecting it to be blown. Nope. It checked out visually and electrically.
I then accessed the back of the headlight switch which wasn't especially easy. I sprayed electrical contact cleaner in the backs of the seven wire connections to the switch as I manipulated the switch. Didn't work.
I'm pretty much out of airspeed, altitude and ideas. Can anyone help me out?
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2019, 07:26 AM   #2

On the '06 Dynasty, the clearance lights involve the headlight switch, the Smartwheel controller, the fuse, a relay (K5 on front run box board #8), the lights, themselves, and those pesky ground connections.

The light switch only tells the Smartwheel controller that all of the non-headlight lights should be either on or off. It does not actually route power to the lights. The Smartwheel controller then controls the relay that provides power to the clearance lights. It also is what interrupts power to the relay to "flash" the lights when you press that button on your dash to signal vehicles behind or in front of you. So the Smartwheel is actually the brains behind the operation.

Terminal P12-3 on the Smartwheel module is the terminal on our coach that is tied to the clearance lights relay. The voltage on that terminal should be +12 volts at all times when the clearance lights are OFF. That would be when the headlight switch is OFF, or the headlight switch is ON but the steering wheel button is depressed to signal vehicles behind you. The voltage on that terminal should be very close to zero volts when the clearance lights are actually supposed to be illuminated.

If you have the same basic Smartwheel controller and control logic, this might help you check it out. If you see what I've described above, and if you do in fact have a relay like my K5 on board #8, the problem will likely be with either that relay or the wiring to the clearance lights, probably from your front run box.

Let us know how you do with your troubleshooting.

From JV at FL2.5
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by K7JV View Post
On the '06 Dynasty, the clearance lights involve the headlight switch, the Smartwheel controller, the fuse, a relay (K5 on front run box board #8), the lights, themselves, and those pesky ground connections.

The light switch only tells the Smartwheel controller that all of the non-headlight lights should be either on or off. It does not actually route power to the lights. The Smartwheel controller then controls the relay that provides power to the clearance lights. It also is what interrupts power to the relay to "flash" the lights when you press that button on your dash to signal vehicles behind or in front of you. So the Smartwheel is actually the brains behind the operation.

Terminal P12-3 on the Smartwheel module is the terminal on our coach that is tied to the clearance lights relay. The voltage on that terminal should be +12 volts at all times when the clearance lights are OFF. That would be when the headlight switch is OFF, or the headlight switch is ON but the steering wheel button is depressed to signal vehicles behind you. The voltage on that terminal should be very close to zero volts when the clearance lights are actually supposed to be illuminated.

If you have the same basic Smartwheel controller and control logic, this might help you check it out. If you see what I've described above, and if you do in fact have a relay like my K5 on board #8, the problem will likely be with either that relay or the wiring to the clearance lights, probably from your front run box.

Let us know how you do with your troubleshooting.

From JV at FL2.5
My '05 Knight, being lower on the food chain than your Dynasty, doesn't have a Smartwheel. You did give me a couple of leads though.
I never considered a relay might be involved. Now I just need to find and identify it if there is one. I sure could use some help with that.
I also didn't consider the ICC switch on my side switch panel might be involved. It's just a spring-loaded momentary ON switch that I use fairly often. I will look into that today. Thanks for the tips.
FL2.5? Isn't that dangerous Indian Country what with all the Cherokees, Apaches, Aztecs, Navajos, etc. milling about?
Good one.[emoji106]
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
Old 10-08-2019, 09:07 AM   #4

Check grounds.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 07:37 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Have any mice issues. Had one get up in our arm between windshield and door, and chew a wire in half. It killed all my running lights. Had a lot of fun tracking that down.'

Good luck.
Okrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:43 PM   #6

Okay guys, sorry to be so late getting back to you. Just spent several hours removing, cleaning, replacing and tightening all the grounds in the battery compartment. Found one slightly loose connection but that wasn't it. I have looked behind the dash but couldn't identify any grounds or even a ground wire on the back of the light switch.
I did find a marker light relay tonight that I will swap out with another one in the morning. I can't believe I missed it when I tested the marker light fuse. I hope that's it.
Thank you all for your suggestions. If anyone can help me find a ground behind the dash I would like to hear from you.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:26 AM   #7

I would start with a DVOM and with your meter ground lead hook up at your batteries at the ground post.

While testing with your positive DVOM lead ...do you have 12vdc supply voltage at your lights in question?

If yes ...good ... and If not?... you will most likely need a wiring schematic to trace the 12vdc supply circuit to the lights down in a logical manner.

Now to properly check your ground side circuit for the lights in question ...you do this testing also with your lights in question turned on and with your DVOM ground lead still hooked up to your battery ground ... Do you show less than .5 VDC on the ground wire at the lights in question?

If so good ... you now know that you have a proper ground circuit

If NOT and you show more than .5vdc on the ground side circuit wire ( with the marker light switch still in the ON position) you have a ground issue....what you are seeing on your DVOM on the ground side is that anything above .5vdc if referred to as voltage drop and that voltage drop should not exceed .5 vdc.... again if so you have a ground circuit issue.

If done correctly this testing will save you from running around your coach from stem to stern looking at connections wondering if they are good or bad. You testing the circuit dynamically ( working) and that is the be all-tell all

I have seen electrical connections that looked like brand new that were bad and connections that were corroded beyond belief that were fine electrically ( although needed service)

Hopefully, I spit this out that it makes some kind of sense ..and not to be taken as being critical of what has been done thus far or suggested ..... just trying to help get you on a path that gets your issue resolved a bit faster

Old 03-06-2022, 07:27 PM   #8

Probably a little stale but new to a new DP owner. You had posted previously (ok 2018) about lights issues (clearance etc). Discussed a relay K5 and related fuses. Could you provide a verbal description as to fuse locations? Woiuld be very helpful as I am unaware of normal location information. Some sort of grid maybe? My fuse/relay box at forward external driver side has no listings--just old dried glue?
Thanks
monaco 2003 dynasty owner
gun shy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 09:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gun shy View Post
Probably a little stale but new to a new DP owner. You had posted previously (ok 2018) about lights issues (clearance etc). Discussed a relay K5 and related fuses. Could you provide a verbal description as to fuse locations? Woiuld be very helpful as I am unaware of normal location information. Some sort of grid maybe? My fuse/relay box at forward external driver side has no listings--just old dried glue?
Thanks
monaco 2003 dynasty owner
If your 12Vdc fuse box/circuit boards in front of the roadside steer tire look like these, take a look at the fuses and relays with the red check marks.
[emoji40][emoji382][emoji382]... [emoji40][emoji382][emoji106]
Attachment 358477Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190512_162728697_HDR~2.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	358478Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200331_174938863~2.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	358479

Tags
light, lights