RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2013, 02:52 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
clearcoat

Well it finally happened, clearcoat peeling off the top front and rear caps. Have to take it in next week to get repainted, what a bummer. Seems to always be something with these rigs. Keep the check book open.

bborc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2013, 03:21 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Would like to hear about your experience once you have had it fixed. What did it cost? How long time did it take? How good did the come out when resprayed/painted?

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:54 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
My Providence goes in Monday for the top front cap.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Yes I will post it, not sure of cost right now but I only have one place around me that the MH will fit in and they do a lot of rv work. just talking to them it sounds like around 1500.00 to do the job, but you know how that goes. Will be taking it in next thurs and they say they need it about a week.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:59 PM   #5

I say an 03 dynasty just about like mine and she had the area above the windshield to the roof painted with kilz white and it looks very good and was not a lot of work so I am looking a just that for mine
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I did upper front and rear caps at home. Scraped and peeled all loose clearcoat, feather sanded remaining edges. I have a compressor. Bought a spray gun from Lowes, clearcoat from local auto parts supplier. Practiced a little on old painted metal porch chairs and let it rip. I did do some online you tube video lookin' to see proper spray methods. Cost less than $200 and 2 1/2 days.
A few rough spots way up high so extra fine sand paper and its done.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:04 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi Guys

I just got my coaches top front back and all along the two sides repainted and clearcoated for $400 at the Winnebago factory. They did a great job, dropped the unit off at 7am this morning and picked it up at 4pm. This low price obviously reflect the fact they were painting about 50 units at one time and just squeezed mine in. The volume pushes the price down.

Cheers from forest City Iowa

2003 Winnebago Journey DL 39, Cat 330 2 slideouts
Luv2journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:25 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Clear coat blisters for two reasons, 1. the painted surface was not properly prepped. 2. Items like handles, vents, etc were not removed prior to painting and were just taped. When taped and prepped with 1K+ sandpaper, clear coat can get moisture under it.
If paint of RV is still good and only clear coat is pealing, painting is not necessary. Then it is necessary to sand away loose clear coat to area where clear coat surface is strong, then clear coat the entire panel, sand and polish, and then later wax.
You get what you pay for. Some paint finishers will warrantee their work for 20+ years.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:31 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
My Diplomat is at the paint shop now. The blistering started on the front cap and then some on the rear about year 5. Since it was only on the top and not visible, I sanded and sprayed with matching automotive paint. This lasted about two years and then more blistering occured on the front cap.

I located two different painters for friends who had theirs painted at home. One had a lot of overspray and the other was just okay.

After seeing theirs, I decided to pop for a more professional job. The RV paint shop wanted the horns, running lights and ladder off. I did the prep work which included removing the horns and Dicor, the running lights, Monaco emblem, sat cable cover and ladder. I also removed all of the silicone along the rain gutters.

Rather than paint the three colors that roll over the roof, I'm painting all four sides of the roof line in the brown that is on the front cap. Since you can't fade the paint repair into existing paint without having the same issues later (thin clear), there will be a visible line between the upper corner of the windshield and the rain gutter ( the line will look like the edge of the 3M mask). They will continue the dark brown down the sides and around the top three inches of the rear cap which is currently tan. It will just look like another color scheme change.

My friends got their jobs done for about $1200 and they didn't do any prep. Mine will be $2300.00. I got a call today and they found an additional issue that I was aware of, but didn't know how they would fix it. I had about 5-6 large spots that "checked" on the front cap (about 1" long). They have a repair for this, but it's pricey. They sand the paint down to the gelcoat and use an epoxy primer, sand again and then paint as they normally would (another $500.00). The work is guaranteed for life.

Overall, I thought the price was reasonable, especially in California with all of their environmental rules.

Note: I had previously replaced the Monaco logo on the front cap through Monaco, about $50.00. This time I checked Ebay and found the logo for $15.50, which included shipping.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:09 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Well got the motor home back today and they repaired the peeling clearcoat on front and rear caps, also the side caps. the job cost $600.00 I was surprised I thought it was going to be a lot more. They said the paint was good so they just removed the old clearcoat and repainted.It sure looks good. They said keep wax on it and it will last a lot longer. Well I always wax the sides twice a year so now will get on top and do that also. They do a lot of rv body work and said they see this a lot on all brands.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:03 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
On my front cap they repainted and clear coated the whole thing. They had it four days. Cost was $600.00. Looks good.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:55 AM   #12

If I can ask where did You take it to -to get it painted
Thanks
Steve

SPA48 is offline   Reply With Quote