Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2016, 10:20 AM   #1

Clicking sound from ceiling

We have a 2007 Beaver Patriot Thunder that has started to make what sounds like a light duty resettable circuit breaker clicking, think like a mechanical turn signal relay make/break sound. About 1 second (maybe a break) then about 10 seconds later perhaps a make, then 1 second later the "break" and repeating forever.. . I've been trying to locate the source, sounds like it is coming from the ceiling area just toward the rear of the ceiling retractable flat screen TV in the vicinity of the air ducts. Quite possibly that is not the location of the device but just where the sound can escape. Everything seems to work as normal...awnings, TV retract/lower, sat and OTA antennas/booster all lights, everything... A couple of times it has not happened after relocating to a new location, other times that has not made a difference. Using the "salesman" switch has no effect. Its driving me crazy trying to isolate this before something bad happens. Any suggestions as to what/where it is?
TXduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2016, 10:33 AM   #2

Jayco Owners Club
If this does it all the time, turn off everything, 120v and 12v, and see if it is still doing it. This would eliminate an electrical noise. If it happens while driving, it's something loose, like a cable.
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 07:24 AM   #3

I've isolated it down to the 12v chassis circuits. When I throw the chassis battery cutoff switch in the battery bay, it stops. Re-energize that circuit and it starts again.

Removed the trim and accessed the electrical boxes/relays in the front brow ceiling area. All seem fine, noise appears to come from further back in the ceiling.

It must be some 12v circuit that is overloading and a breaker is cycling, but why is it burried in the ceiling and what does it power? TV retracts fine, OTA antenna raises and lowers, TV signal booster works as expected, same with Trav'lr dish. Noise doesn't sound like it is coming from the speakers.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:28 AM   #4

Maybe the OTD awning motor switch is stuck in the closed position?

2016 Newmar London Aire
Burgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:10 AM   #5

Could be A/C, roof mounted problem. think they have a 12volt component that works with thermostat.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:21 AM   #6

Jayco Owners Club
Start pulling fuses until it stops.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:42 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It may be the safety relay that turns the power off from your shore/invertor to your TV power outlet when the engine is running.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 09:48 AM   #8

Jayco Owners Club
A year ago I had a noise that sounded like a stick hitting a rubber pad. it bugged me for 2 years. One day I was looking around and found it was coming from a loose panel just behind the top of the front window. No way to get out, so I squatted some spray foam in the crack. Done, no more noise.
Old 10-16-2016, 10:20 AM   #9

Finally found it. The passenger seat forward/reverse slider switch was stuck attempting to move the seat beyond the full back position, thus overloading the motor. Couldn't find the circuit breaker that tripping/resetting as I didn't get into the ceiling far enough.

This explains why sometimes we'd have the clicking noise, and other times after moving campsites it'd be gone...the seat was readjusted...and other times coming back. As I wouldn't usually mess with DW's chair, I didn't notice the switch wouldn't always release to the center off position. Typically, the chair would be shoved back for more entry room...

So file this experience into the book of knowledge.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:50 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Wow, good catch!
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 05:10 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Wow, good catch!
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling