RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2015, 07:05 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Close to Purchase: '05 Monaco Diplomat 40pdq

We are taking a drive this week to see this unit: Monaco Diplomat

It has 22K mi. 400 Cummins. It books for $83K without any options.

Does this model have the rear trailing arm recall? I think this unit has the 8 bag suspension.

Are there any other things to specifically look at?

Has anyone here had any experience with this dealer? (Johnson RV, Sandy OR)

Thanks for any and all input,eh?

Brad

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2015, 09:55 PM   #2

The 2005 Diplomat was built on the R8R chassis and did not have the trailing arm issue.

I have a comparable 2005 unit but with the ISC Cummins and found it to be a stable and reliable coach. Beware of the shocks. If the original Monroe shocks are still on the coach (all yellow) they are shot. Replaced them with Bilstien comfort shocks.

Had the usual problems with the salesman switch solenoid, big boy solenoid, main awning connector and step motor. But no major issues with the chassis.

Good Luck

Old 11-01-2015, 11:19 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to CruisinCondo
Be sure to check dates on tires and batteries. If they are original, they need to be replaced. That could set you back $5000. Also, most options on that coach are standard equipment. Good luck, that is a great coach. Mark
Old 11-02-2015, 04:32 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to Garbageman
I have not had any dealings with Johnson RV but don't be pushed into anything that makes you uncomfortable.

As far as the motorhome I agree with what as already been said. I would also inspect the exterior paint for clear coat damage/peeling, particularly around the roof edges. That is about a $3k repair. Make sure the slide seals are all intact. Make sure everything functions properly, ie levelers, slides, furnace, water heater, fridge, etc... EVERYTHING.

I am a fan of extended warranties. I have used it twice on my 06 Endeavor and the warranty has almost paid for itself. Warranties are a negotiating tool also. Make sure the warranty covers everything possible and is honored nation wide.

Good Luck and enjoy
Paul
Garbageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:11 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
We have had our 2005 Endeavor (almost identical to the Diplomat) for 3 years and have been thoroughly pleased. It only had 14K miles and had been garage kept. The dealer guaranteed that everything worked and gave us 1 weekend trip to uncover any defficiencies. We found no problems. The front tires had been replaced recently and the dealer put on new rears. The batteries were original. The 4 house batteries are still going strong but we had to replace the 2 chassis batteries about 6 months ago. We replaced both a/c units about a year ago. Not a big deal, about 1K for both. Other than that, she runs like a top and we have been very pleased. We didn't know it at the time but we lucked out when we purchased the Endeavor. It is a very good MH. And yes, we also replaced the Monroe shocks with Bilstein's.
Willie300s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:28 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 2007 Diplomat that I purchased new and have put 34K miles on it and it has been solid. As stated above I would look at the shocks and tire date. I installed Bilsteins and new Michelins 2 years ago.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:29 AM   #7
YC1

Make sure you get it out on the highway at speed. Do plenty of lane changes. See how it feels with cars and trucks passing you. Does it drive comfortable enough that you can push the buttons on the console or glance at the radio?
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:11 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Brad,

One of the areas to check on these coaches is the security of the attachment of the roofing to the sidewalls, especially at the front corners, where the roofing overlaps the front cap. Also check the rear in this area.

You can easily check this by pushing in on the molding that covers the overlap to the sidewalls, and hitting it with the heel of your hand. This should reveal any looseness.

Looseness in this area is caused by the screws that are underneath the plastic molding either coming loose or rusting and breaking off. This allows water to seep into or behind the aluminum awning rail that is covered by the plastic molding, and run down the coach where it can enter the wall at any point where there is a loose or broken screw. This looseness can also occur where the awning fabric attaches to the awning rail, as a result of the awning pulling on the rail.

Also, if there are any broken screws at the corners, the roofing will not stay tight against the front or rear caps where it curves over to the sidewall and it will be impossible to keep this area sealed.

The repair for this problem is to gently pry the plastic cover off the awning rail and shoot new screws in between the old ones to pull the assembly tight, then resealing the area.

I don't mean to scare you off on purchasing this coach, but this is an area to be aware of and if you do have a problem, maybe you can get the seller to fix it for you.

Also, I recommend you read the two threads in the Technical Information stickey at the top of this forum. They describe in detail issues with the handling on some of these coaches and how they are fixed. Depending on how handy you are, the fixes are within the capability of an owner.

These are nice coaches and I am sure you will be happy with it. But, as with almost all coaches, they do have their characteristic maintenance issues. I hope this is helpful to you as you examine this one and negotiate with the seller.

Roy
Old 11-02-2015, 10:50 AM   #9

Thanks y'all for the suggestions. I appreciate it.

The dealer has a 60 day warranty after you drive it off the lot. I was pleasantly surprised by this. When we bought our present unit, we had to sign papers that stated anything that went wrong after purchase was our responsibility.

I m rather anxious/nervous about this deal. I have never spent this much money on a vehicle before. But, since we are full timers, I guess it will be our home for 10+ years. The extra room and towing capacity is the reason for the upgrade.

Brad
Old 11-02-2015, 02:53 PM   #10

FYI, if anyone is looking at a Monoco/Beaver/Hr/Fleetwood, call this number with the last 4 of the VIN and they will email you the window sticker. 800-648-6582. Very informative bunch. Especially if you cannot locate some componant hidden somewhere in the coach.

Attached is the window sticker with options. Many of them NADA doesnt list as options.I got the price up to $86K.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	monaco window sticker.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	111015  
Old 11-02-2015, 02:59 PM   #11

What is the dealer asking $$?
Rburian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 03:03 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by draboo View Post
FYI, if anyone is looking at a Monoco/Beaver/Hr/Fleetwood, call this number with the last 4 of the VIN and they will email you the window sticker. 800-648-6582. Very informative bunch. Especially if you cannot locate some componant hidden somewhere in the coach.

Attached is the window sticker with options. Many of them NADA doesnt list as options.I got the price up to $86K.
Also be sure that you don't add for options that are actually standard. All of those are already figured into the base price for each model. Pretty much means you need to know the model and it's standard items first. And if an option isn't mentioned in the book it might just mean it has no bearing on the price and needs to be ignored in pricing negotiations.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 03:20 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I never add options when computing the retail price for a MH. The dealer won't add options to the value for trade in so why should you add when buying. My rule of thumb is 10 per cent below base low retail as my offer minus any negative aspects.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:14 PM   #14

Low retail NADA is $68950 and average retail NADA is $83050. Don't add anything for options or low mileage. Last year when I was looking for a DP, wiser folks told me that you should start at or below low NADA; however, if it has new tires and batteries then you start going up. Perhaps things might have changed over the past year and prices have went up ... (I finally gave up my looking for a couple of years).

Milehghcty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco, purchase