Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2021, 12:46 PM   #1

Clueless in South Texas

Hello again. In need of help from smarter folks than I. After putting our dash together, I noticed the step cover had quit working. Kinda surprised, because the Mac valve was replaced with a Humphrey valve several months ago. Had it working perfectly. Now it appears the valve is bad. Checked the wires and looks like both wires have voltage. Is this normal? Second question. Here are some photos of a couple of hoses that I found disconnected between the front of the MH and the firewall. Any ideas as to what these are for? Anything I had disconnected was put back in place. Both were tucked in the wiring mess. Just happened to notice them when I cut a couple of zip ties to clean up some mud dauber nests.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail-1.jpeg
Views:	15
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	332120   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail-2.jpeg
Views:	15
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	332121  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2021, 01:44 PM   #2

Ok, this is weird! Went back out and checked the voltage on the wires to the step cover valve. One shows no voltage the other shows 12 volts. The electrical gremlins are at work. No clue as to why, but the valve appears to be working correctly. Will hook up airlines after lunch and see what happens.
Old 06-14-2021, 01:51 PM   #3

Hi Notn2bars; The hose in your hand is the vacuum line. The black box that the hose comes out of is the vacuum generator. This produces vacuum to run the dash heater/AC positions. The end of the hose you are holding connects to the bottom of the vacuum tank. From the picture you posted that tank is just up to your left. Right now none of the heater/AC positions should work. Sorry, do not know what that electrical wire runs to. On the Mac valve, just could be some poor connections electrically. It happens!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 03:32 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
That electrical connection could be to your gen door light comes on when the door is open look at the top right of the opening you should see a plunger switch.
Old 06-14-2021, 05:19 PM   #5

8.3Oilburner and Biljol, we appreciate the fact you took the time to look and help. You guys are awesome. What appears to be an electrical wire is actually a hose. I connected the hoses to the bottom of the tank. See Pic. Hopefully it is connected correctly. As for a light, I wondered what the two wires were for. The white wire had been bolted to the fiberglass, the other wire is cut. Struck me as kind of odd that ground wire would be connected to fiberglass. The step cover valve is working correctly, but the valve has constant 12v feed and feels fairly hot. Is this valve supposed to be hot all the time. If you could, please explain how it works. The step cover switch has 3 wires to it, but the valve only has two.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	thumbnail.jpeg
Views:	7
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	332148   Click image for larger version

Views:	10
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	332149  

Old 06-14-2021, 08:54 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I think the reason your switch has three wires is because the passenger also has a switch to the step cover. The rest I don't know.

Tim
Old 06-15-2021, 09:28 AM   #7

Hi Tim, the switch that has three wires is the passenger step cover witch. It is the only switch for the step cover. The valve only has two wires. The only switch the driver has is the step in and out switch. Would you please check the ball shaped tank on your MH and let me know it I have the lines hooked up correctly. This step cover is driving me batty, yesterday it was working correctly. Today it is not working again. The cover comes out but won't go back in unless one of the air lines is disconnected and the pressure is relieved. Biljol, the white and black wires have nothing to do with the light. The light comes on when I activate the cargo light switch. Have no clue as to what the wires are for if anything. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	6
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	332215   Click image for larger version

Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	332216  

Old 06-15-2021, 12:43 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Ed,

Here is a picture of my Vacuum ball. These things are all different. I have a step cover switch on both the Driver's and passengers side.

Tim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Vacuum ball.jpg
Size:	379.6 KB
ID:	332235  
Old 06-15-2021, 01:06 PM   #9

Tim, your the best. My lines are hooked up just like yours. All the switch settings for the various vents work perfectly. Evidently the prior owner did not have the a/c working, some of the hoses to the air vents weren't even hooked up. Now, if I can just figure out the step cover valve. The piston works well in each direction. Wondering if it would be better to put separate valves and switches for in and out of the piston.
Old 06-15-2021, 03:05 PM   #10

Hi Notn2bars; Whew! Been gone all morning long and trying to catch up. In your post where you are holding the 2 wires. I agree with Biljol that those are the 2 wires for your Generator out door light on the dash. The one wire with the loop is the ground and the other hot side to light the gen. door light on the dash. Have someone inside turn the ing. to the on position and then put both wires together and I bet the gen. out door on the dash will light up!

As to your step problem. These Mac valves are very subject to crud from the air tanks, usually small pieces of rust, plugging up the very small ports in the valve. Sometimes this causes the step to react some of the time from what you are experiencing. You should have 2 switches for the step cover. One on the drivers console and one at the passenger's console. I have not seen a Dynasty with only one switch unless the previous owner removed it and would not understand why. The one on the drivers console should be labeled, step cover, in & out and not sure about the passenger's switch. You should be able to select out on the drivers side switch and on the passenger's side just moving the switch to the other position should send the step cover back in. Also vise a versa! Without going into a long explanation of how to clear the Mac Valve I would use the search box at the top right of this page for, how to clear the Mac Valve for the step cover on a Dynasty motorhome. You should find some reading to do. Hope this info helps!

Also on that Mac Valve should be 2 small slotted adjustment screws to set the speed that the step cover extends and retracts. This is where the crud can get stuck is in the ports of those adjustment screws!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 05:22 PM   #11

Biljol, I owe you an apology. 8.3oilburner, both of you were right on about the wires. They are for the dash light. I misunderstood Biljols response, I thought he was referring to the cargo light mounted on the underside of the firewall cap. The DW held the two wires together for me and voila, the dash light came on. Now I'll have to locate a replacement switch. As to the driver step cover switch and the passenger switch I've included pics. There was a lonely connecter under the side panel without a switch. Perhaps that's the missing step cover switch connector. It only has two wires and all the others have multiple wires.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	11
Size:	182.7 KB
ID:	332277   Click image for larger version

Views:	6
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	332278  

Name:	thumbnail-2.jpeg
Views:	7
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	332282  
Old 06-16-2021, 06:27 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Good timing I just replaced mine that how I knew what wires they where, yours are broken excatly like mine.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...switch&pos=115

You will need a nut and lock washer for the “inside” white goes to the threaded part hence the loop connector and then cut off the other wire strip and crimp on the switch.
Old 06-16-2021, 09:08 AM   #13

Biljol, checked with oreillys and they can have one for me tomorrow. Yes, on the timing comment. The folks like you, on this forum, are awesome and such a blessing. We don't know where we would be in the repairs on our beast without the invaluable information from y'all.
Old 06-16-2021, 10:18 AM   #14

My step cover seems to have a mind of its own sometimes. Seems like there are three 3way switches drivers, passengers and one somehow driven by putting in gear. No in or out on switches, just flip flops after I put in gear and puts it out... if makes sense.
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
texas