Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Clueless NEWBIE question

I cannot find this in any of my manuals, so here goes.

2000 Monaco Diplomat 38A

What are the round vent looking things in the ceiling that are manual and
can be screwed up or down (in or out)? about 4" diameter. look like solid AC vents, but can see light when they are screwed downward. They are in the hall near washer dryer closet, bath and toliet room.

Do you leave them shut or closed? I started using w/d after about of month of not using it (it was being contrary) and the smell in the closets was awful. Stunk up whole coach I had recently opened those vent things, so thought that might have caused the problem. Never had it before when using w/d, but I had not "discovered" those particular vent things.

Thanks, guys!

pawnotes
2000 Monaco Diplomat 38A
pawnotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2013, 02:22 PM   #2

They are the vents for your ducted AC unit. Probably the front one if you have two AC units. Use them to adjust air flow to different areas.
Not sure what w/d is ?
Old 01-01-2013, 02:30 PM   #3
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Not using the W/D could have caused the water in the trap to evaporate. This will allow fumes from the holding tank to enter the coach, and yes that can STINK. Just put it on a rinse cycle once in a while if you are not using it.

The vents in the calling you spoke of are for the air conditioning distribution system.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:36 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Hi

The solid round vents in the ceiling are that way so you can open or close them. The other vents can not be closed. That's why they are solid.
We run our w/d fairly often just to make sure the drain always has water in it.
I have a 2001 38A diplomat I bought in May 2012 and love it.
Happy New Year
Rick
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
The ac vents are slotted These are in addition to those and are solid W/d is washer and dryer. The smell happened after doing 3 complete loads of laundry.
pawnotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:39 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Like Rex said, the smell is very likely trap related. Perhaps the trap siphoned itself out after the last load, it isn't supposed to be able to do it but would explain why the smell began AFTER running three loads.

If the smell gradually built up while doing the three loads, I'd check your fresh water supply, is it smelling anywhere else, like the faucets etc.?
One other possibility... Some W/D units do not vent outside. If you have one of these, maybe the smell builds up in the closet when the dryer is running. (or maybe your outside vent is blocked?)

Also, make sure your grey and black tanks are getting emptied, the w/d should be draining to grey but some drain to black and three loads of laundry water can fill a grey/black tank pretty fast!

I'm just guessing here, trying to give you a few ideas to check on.

Good Luck
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:24 PM   #7

My black pipe above the dryer was broke the last 3inch out of a. Coupling I think.
ACOMA1889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:50 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
That probably is the black tank vent pipe. That would certainly give you bad odor. Also make sure the cover is on the vent pipe do rain water won't go down there. It's a cover like a weather vain that keeps the vent opening down wind.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags