Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2021, 05:36 PM   #1

Coach air park brake will not release.

Replaced MAC/ Air valve last fall after a trip. 1st time to fire the coach up this year. Park brake will not release and I am getting oily water purged out of the air dryer when I am releasing and reengaging the park brake.
Haldex system. Replaced filters 3 years ago and only driven 4K miles. Coach stored in heated/Dehumidified building. TIA.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2021, 05:46 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Carolina Campers
It may not be the same cause but think back to when you parked the motorhome, had you driven it through rain prior to parking?
I have had it happen on two different coaches where the brakes rusted in the closed position. You can try a “gentle tap” with a hammer. The second time, I realized what had happened, it took a tap and a couple of attempts in Drive to get it moving. Make sure nothing in front of you if you try this.
Of course, this does not address the water coming from the air tanks.
GrantR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 06:10 PM   #3

If the air dryer is purging oil and water its working, that's a good thing. Its not getting to the air tanks.

If it seems excessive, that's not so good. Water is normal when compressing air but oil is coming from the compressor. Sitting for that long, it may clear up.

As far as the brakes, get the air up, push in the brake button, wait for the air to rise again, and then step on the brake pedal hard. Then try shifting from foward to reverse to free the brakes.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 08:19 PM   #4

Hey Guys,
Yes I drove in rain before parking. Tap on the actual brake pads I am assuming?
Thanks for the input on this I will give this a try. I just noticed the water under the purge valve since I pulled the brakes on and off several times.
Thanks again!
Old 07-04-2021, 08:30 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Rusty, a tap won't do it. Smack the drums real good and use a steel bar and hit the shoes on the steel not the pad. If going to rock they will break loose easier in reverse. Good luck Don.
DiplomatDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 06:22 AM   #6

You can't hit the shoes with the park brake set.

Chock the tires, push in the button, and then hit them.

Rear brakes only !
Old 07-05-2021, 06:51 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Hey Guys,

I’ve experienced something mostly unrelated to the OP, but am hoping you guys can enlighten me. Took my coach out of storage Friday. When I released the p brake and put transmission in drive, the coach didn’t move even though I was slightly headed downhill. Coach refused to move. I pushed accelerator and it made a loud bang and coach shook, but we were moving. This has happened to me before.

My guess is brakes were frozen due to sitting two weeks and during this time we got lots of rain. Is there a better way to get the brakes to release or does it matter?
Old 07-05-2021, 07:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pduggs View Post
Hey Guys,

I’ve experienced something mostly unrelated to the OP, but am hoping you guys can enlighten me. Took my coach out of storage Friday. When I released the p brake and put transmission in drive, the coach didn’t move even though I was slightly headed downhill. Coach refused to move. I pushed accelerator and it made a loud bang and coach shook, but we were moving. This has happened to me before.

My guess is brakes were frozen due to sitting two weeks and during this time we got lots of rain. Is there a better way to get the brakes to release or does it matter?
In your case, try backing up a bit first may help. But many of our trucks did that after sitting.
Old 07-06-2021, 06:45 AM   #9

Update,
Brakes broke loose. Just putting the coach in Reverse and then drive a few times to rock it. I just did this at high idle. I could tell the drivers side was loose first. Made a bit of a bang when released.
Thanks!
Old 07-06-2021, 08:29 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pduggs View Post
Hey Guys,

Paul,

It may or may not be practical for you, but a couple of times after I washed out the wheel wells, I'll put coach in garage with wheel chocks and not apply the brake. That allows the brakes to dry without them rusting together.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 11:43 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Bill and Twinboat. I like your suggestions and will give them a try.

Tags
air, brake