RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2013, 09:36 PM   #1

Coach batteries not charging

The house batteries are not charging when we're driving in my 2005 Diplomat. Where should I begin?

Thanks, Jim
Jimbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2013, 05:26 AM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
A VOM/multimeter is your friend find where you do have current and follow it to where you don't i.e. alternator, battery. Places like AutoZone will often do it free with the expectation that you will buy parts from them.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:28 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbabs View Post
The house batteries are not charging when we're driving in my 2005 Diplomat. Where should I begin?

Thanks, Jim
Jim,

On many models the house batteries are not charged by the alternator while driving unless an optional device such as the B.I.R.D. is installed. Your coach most likely does not have that option. I know ours does not. Turn on your generator and see if the batteries are then charged and that will tell the story.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:36 AM   #4

I have a 2001 Diplomat and my house batteries are charged by the battery boost solenoid that ties the battery banks together. My solenoid is located in the battery compartment. It has several small wires that go to it and 2 large battery cables from each battery bank. It is complicated how some of this works on my coach but the front run bay has a small circuit board that senses when the chassis batteries are charging and then it sends a signal thru a battery isolator delay relay that is located on the front firewall of the coach. This relay prevents the engine alternator from trying to charge the house batteries if you have the generator running. The battery boost solenoid is energized by the boost switch or this IRD system. I would try starting the Cummins with a voltmeter on the house batteries and have someone hold the the boost switch down and if it starts charging both battery banks, then your boost solenoid is OK. If you are not certain what you are doing I would have someone with a working knowledge of these systems look at it. Mistakes can be costly!

This is how my coach works but Monaco made changes I am sure from 01 to 05. George 2001 Diplomat
Old 09-14-2013, 05:39 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Assumimg the alternator is working and charging chassis, I would go right after the isolator solenoid. This continuous duty solenoid is closed (connecting both banks) when the engine is running. It sounds like it either quit working or the contacts are burnt and no current is passing through. If you have a Start/Boost Switch, this same solenoid is generally used. Can't help with details and location as I don't know your coach.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:27 AM   #6

Jim, Nodine is correct. Do a search for "Trik-L-Start" this is what I and many others have installed to overcome your issue.
This device is about 35.00 and installs in less than 15 min. It will allow your Coach/House batteries to charge while driving and charge your Chassis Batteries while on shore power. It is automatic and will not over charge either set of batteries. Hope this helps you out.

George
Old 09-16-2013, 07:48 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyEOD View Post
Jim, Nodine is correct. Do a search for "Trik-L-Start" this is what I and many others have installed to overcome your issue.
This device is about 35.00 and installs in less than 15 min. It will allow your Coach/House batteries to charge while driving and charge your Chassis Batteries while on shore power. It is automatic and will not over charge either set of batteries. Hope this helps you out.

George
The OP says his house batts are not being charged by the chassis, you have this backwards. The TLS will charge the chassis on shore or genny, but not charge the house from the chassis. It actually uses a diode to prevent the chassis from draining to the house.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
The OP says his house batts are not being charged by the chassis, you have this backwards. The TLS will charge the chassis on shore or genny, but not charge the house from the chassis. It actually uses a diode to prevent the chassis from draining to the house.
John, yes I stand corrected, I just went back and looked at my paperwork and you are correct. It will not charge the coach batteries while driving.

George
Old 09-16-2013, 02:59 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Clyon-51 has it right, most times it is the isolator that is the problem. Most MHs have a way to charge house batteries from the alt.
bborc is offline   Reply With Quote