Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2022, 11:44 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Coach Slowly Leaning to the Side

Hey Gang,

Yes, it's me again with yet another issue. Thanks for taking a few minutes to thinks about my latest challenge.

I have a 2004 43' HR Navigator. I've owned it for about 8 months now. I didn't notice this problem at first, but in the last 2 months or so it has become more apparent: after sitting for several days, the coach leans towards the driver's side.

See the attached photo.

To correct this, I have to start the engine and re-level it. Then, a few days later, the problem is back.

It seems like issue is in the air bag(s) slowly leaking or losing pressure. I can't tell if it is the front or back... it kind of looks like both.

Simple fix? Something I can check myself? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks again.

Judd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HR Nav Leaning.jpeg
Views:	79
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	361398  
Vamoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2022, 07:31 AM   #2

I have an 03 Monaco Windsor with HWH air leveling system.
It has an auxiliary 12v air pump to take care of slow leaking as you describe. Your 04 Navigator being a Monaco product also, likely has
the same system. So it could be something as simple as a fuse.
My pump is under the coach up high just behind the front axle, although
some are near the rear axle. The fuse on mine is in the wire close to
the pump.

Before checking into the fuse are you leaving the control panel set to auto leveling? If I want mine to stay level I push the level button twice so it will go into auto level and leave it in that setting.

Ray & Marilyn
03 Windsor
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 08:51 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Judd,

Can you tell us if your leaving the coach in the "Auto Level" mode, such as when your in a campground or is the system 'off' such as when you would be storing coach.

If system is 'off', you have a leak somewhere. Possibly several. A bottle of soapy water sprayed on all air line connections is the easiest way to trace down. It's seldom the air bags themselves that are leaking.

If system is in 'auto level', then likely it's your aux pump is not coming on, as Ray mentions above. but you still likely would have leaks than need attention.

Either way, if you are going under coach, take necessary precautions. I use wood ramps that I drive the coach up onto to give me a little more space.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 10:19 AM   #4

Yes, the system is in auto-level mode. But honestly, the leveling system is a bit wonky. Sometimes it seems to work correctly, but not always. And whenever I turn it on, the large red light at the end always turns on and doesn't turn off unless I go back to "travel mode". The tech said it would probably be expensive to chase down the issue, so better to live with the light. But then the leaning issue came up.

I will spend some time reading in the manual and then looking for the auxiliary air pump to check fuses, etc. Fingers crossed!

Thanks again everyone.

Judd
Old 04-07-2022, 01:34 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
The reason your coach is leaning is it's slowly leaking air from several of the air solenoids AND your aux pump is not working.
If you replace the aux pump you can keep it level.
Our coach is very similar to yours. I replaced the auxiliary air pump a few years ago.
Your aux air pump is located in the rear of the coach just inside the passenger side dual wheels attached to the bottom of the coach. If you air the suspension up all the way you can look in above the tires and see the pump.
You can purchase a new Thomas 405ADC 12v pump on eBay for $389.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/25299066341...3ABFBMqvy-14Bg
If you go through any of the RV outlets the price will double.

You can see a picture of the aux pump in post #20.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/rep...-369684-2.html

I also sent my inside leveling control panel along with the leveling computer into HWH and had them refurbished. HWH has great support and their prices are very fair.

Then the next task is fixing the air leaks.
Put the coach up on stacked 2 x 12 boards and get under there with some soap spray and find the leaks. Usually you can remove the air line and cut 1/4" off and reinsert it and the leak will stop. You also have 6 solenoids together called six packs. These will need the o-rings replaced.

If you try to rely on an RV tech to fix your suspension it will never get done. If you do it yourself you can do it for only a few hundred dollars.
You can also take it to HWH in Moscow IA and they can fix it.
Let me know if you need more information?
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 07:47 AM   #6

As Vito said above, determine why your aux air pump isn't working.

Many coaches have leaks and the pump takes care of the air loss, and people live with it. When the leaks become excessive an owner may want
to start troubleshooting the leaks. Leveling problems often are caused by
the 6 packs Vito mentioned.
So-called because an aluminum block/manifold has six 12v solenoids on it, they direct the air to the appropriate airbags to level the coach while parked. Those solenoids have o rings that deteriorate over time and the
o rings then need to be replaced.
There is an old thread by Mike Canter that explains this and has pictures.
Here is a link to that thread.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/mon...on-150182.html

Ray & Marilyn
03 Windsor
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 08:06 AM   #7

My recently acquired 99 Anthem had this same lean when I stopped for fuel after picking it up. I learned later that the leveling link rubber pieces had severed and the air bags couldn't adjust.

Might, if you haven't already crawl under it and see if you've got a busted link.

Hope this helps

Cheers.
Nemisus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 12:26 PM   #8

Wow... a lot of fantastic information. I'm heading out to buy some 2x12 blocks today and start looking for the pump and solenoids. Instead of being discouraged, you guys have inspired me to believe I can actually solve this issue.

Thanks everyone... I'll report back after I get dirty.

Judd
Old 04-13-2022, 04:01 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vamoose View Post
Wow... a lot of fantastic information. I'm heading out to buy some 2x12 blocks today and start looking for the pump and solenoids. Instead of being discouraged, you guys have inspired me to believe I can actually solve this issue.

Thanks everyone... I'll report back after I get dirty.

Judd
These are the ramps I built last year so I could safely work under my coach. I got the idea from this site. I put a hook on one end and made a small 2x4 cart with lawn mower wheels on it. I put the cart under the heavy end and pull them with a strap I put on the hook. Works great and very safe.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6EB5D5FB-5833-45B2-AEE3-191121C8A1DC.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	525.3 KB
ID:	362283  
Old 04-19-2022, 03:43 PM   #10

This is a common problem part, the rubber junction in the height control linkage. There’s commonly one in the center front and two in the rear of the coach. Leaning streetside implies a torn one rear streetside. It’s good to carry a spare or two, and they’re not expensive. If your local NAPA doesn’t have them in stock, they can get them from their warehouse.

https://www.haldex.com/en/na/suspens...r-kits/rn10jc/

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/MBIRN10JC

That said, it’s part of the “on road” air ride system, and may not necessarily be involved in your separate “parked leveling” issue. Almost all coaches leak air somewhere. Many have replaced problematic airline “push-to-connect” connectors with compression fittings. Reference Parker air fittings:
https://ph.parker.com/us/en/transpor...ssion-fittings

Before replacing the auxiliary air compressor (some rigs don’t have one) that maintains level only when Auto Level is chosen, as others here have pointed out, I’d check both the air line coupler(s) at the pump and it’s electrical connections. It’s common for auxiliary pumps to be in harms way of road debris and weathering, but so are their hoses and wires. But if you do replace the compressor, consider a Viair model such as the 380; many have done so as it’s an quality improvement over the factory units.
Old 04-20-2022, 07:03 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to tomgauger
Adding to the conversation about aux air compressors... I have a 2001 Monaco Executive. I've been all over and under this coach and there is NO aux compressor. It is not mentioned in either the huge electric circuit book or the "Owner's Manual." Were many Monaco's of this era built without them?
I've since installed a very noisy Thomas aux compressor up front under the passenger dashboard, forward of the "firewall." It can take 20 minutes to get the air up to 90+ and cut off.
tomgauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 08:14 AM   #12

Since it levels back up with air building up. I'd say you have a leak. That does happen with old air bags. Get a squirt bottle with soap & water ..spray like crazy. lines , bags, valves to find the leak. To replace the bag you need a heavy duty bottle jack to lift the frame. Squirt the bolts with blaster and tear apart...good luck
Newmar nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 08:20 AM   #13

My bad...i wasn't aware that it was leaning with levelers down.
Newmar nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 09:39 PM   #14

Okay, so I did some crawling around under my coach. I found the auxiliary air compressor above the rear drive axle, as well as what I think are the two "six-packs".

I sprayed soapy solution all around the many air line connections that I could see... no bubbles anywhere. But I don't think I checked the "six-packs" because I'm not sure that I even found them.

Can anyone please confirm for me that the two devices in the photos below are indeed these are the air solenoid six-packs? If so, can you tell me where I should be spraying the soap solution to check if the O-rings are bad?

If I need to replace the O-Rings... I've looked at other posts that show a disassembled solenoid with O-rings, but it isn't obvious how to take them apart. If you are familiar with the process, could you please describe what I should do, step-by-step? I'd really appreciate it.

This first pic is a wider shot showing the six-packs and surrounding items.

The second pic is a closer shot of only the packs.

This next pic is of another device that is located near the above six-packs, and looks like them. Can someone please tell me what this is?

This last pic is of some wiring that goes to the aux compressor. I assume there is a fuse in this holder... can someone please confirm and perhaps describe how it opens? I've tried pulling, twisting, etc. No joy.

Thanks again for any assistance.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Six Packs Wide Shot.jpeg
Views:	33
Size:	218.3 KB
ID:	363174   Click image for larger version

Name:	Six Pack closer shot.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	262.6 KB
ID:	363175