Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2019, 05:48 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Coach won't start

Frustrating day! Tried starting today. Nothing....

Hopefully without getting too long I will try to provide as much background that I can recall

We returned north and started getting the Coach ready for the season. It is stored indoors and I do not keep it plugged in during Winter storage so I remove the battery cables from all of the batteries. I checked the water level and voltage on the house batteries and connected them. Chassis batteries are sealed so checked the voltage and then connected them. House batteries (8) are two years old. Chassis batteries (2) are approx six years old. I turned on both disconnect switches and plugged the Coach in. Charger came on fine and the display showed a 36 amp rate and it was quickly dropping back. A couple days later I went down to work on the to do list. Charger is in maintenance mode. Tried to start Coach. With key in the run It cycled though it's normal startup routine. Turned to the start position and nothing. In the start position the radio, Alladin screen and Garmine go off. Can't recall if this is normal. Also notice that the Allison transmission display is blank. Only the red mode light comes on and it goes off when turning the key to the start position. I tried the rear start switched I get the same result. I tried the battery boost switch while starting, again the same result. I checked the function of the Big Boy relay. It is only 2 years old and it is working properly. I also noticed that when turning on the headlights the dash gauge lights don't work and it appears the electronic gauges are not functioning either. No voltage or odometer displayed. All fuses in the drivers side bay look fine. Salesman switch is on and functioning properly.

I appreciate any direction that can be provided

Thank you!
Chargerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2019, 06:03 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I had a similar situation a few years ago. I had disconnect the battery cables for winter and when i reconnected them in spring, i had simalar symptoms as you. In checking things over, my daughter said sarcastically, might help if you reconnected ALL wires. And low and behold, she was right.
Old 04-27-2019, 06:10 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you. I did check them about a dozen times. I did install a new Alladin monitor just before I put it to sleep in December. Wondering if I could have bumped something behind the dash.
Old 04-27-2019, 06:23 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Does the generator start?

You might try checking all the grounding points for the battery cables. They do get dirty or corroded.
windsorbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 06:36 PM   #5
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You need to put a voltmeter on the starting batteries while someone tries to crank it.

The Big boy solenoid could still be bad even if it is only two years old. A heavy duty jumper cable is a good bypass test if needed.

Starting at the batteries is always the place to start and you cannot rely on hearing clicking noises from the bird relay.

You may need to crawl under and chase the battery cables to the ground connections.
2016 Ford F150 Limited V6 with Ready Brake
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 06:36 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
The generator starts fine. Battery cables are in excellent condition as is the connection points. Went through them all about 3yrs ago and I am a fanatic about battery cleanliness and maintenance.
Thanks for the input!
Old 04-27-2019, 07:23 PM   #7

I'm not sure what is causing the electrical problem but I am quite certain you won't get the engine to crank until you get the shift pad to come to full life. There has to be a neutral signal coming from the trans before starter solenoid will engage. It seems to me that the trans circuit has its own wire from the starting batteries (keeping power to the trans control module at all times) but not positive about that.
rte154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 07:53 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks. Your point makes sense for sure. I will check tomorrow again for an additional wire that I may have overlooked.

Thanks much!
Old 04-27-2019, 08:08 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Similar thing happened to me. We had the coach in storage for a few weeks with no electrical hookup. I had turned off everything I could think of when I put her to bed, including the inverter, battery shut offs, and salesman switch. Batteries were fully charged going into storage.

When we got to her she would not start. Inverter read house batteries were deader than dead. Like 10 volts.

I managed to get the motor and genset started. It took about an hour or so before things started working inside the coach. I later determined the house batteries were not holding a charge and replaced them. No problems since.
pduggs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 08:52 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks to all of you guys for your replies and advice. To those who suggested looking for a cable that was not hooked up, you were right. Despite the fact that I looked at the batteries multiple times I overlooked a small gauge connection that had dropped behind. Duh. To help this from happening again I zip tied the cables together that go to the same post. So thankful it was that easy.
Thanks again to all of you for chiming in to help me out.
That ends my stupid Steve moment of the day.
Old 04-28-2019, 08:59 AM   #11

Glad it was that simple and all worked out for you. Happy travels
rte154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 09:43 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Yes. A bit relieved. After checking and checking the last couple days I was starting to think all kinds of thoughts. Towing, who could I find around here that would have a clue about this complex coach and of course the $$$. Whew!!

Thanks once again to one and all!
Old 04-28-2019, 01:17 PM   #13
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Ahh, now take some pictures for future reference. This happens often. Glad you found it.
2016 Ford F150 Limited V6 with Ready Brake
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:09 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
When MasterTech installed my new life line batteries awhile back they crushed a small ground that went to the ecm. No ecm power no neutral check. No neutral checkó no start.
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote