RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2009, 01:03 PM   #1

Coachnet and Monaco--new owners--beware

My wife just called me...we received a letter in the mail from CoachNet stating that our new HR (now 6 months old) which is supposed to get free one year coverage from CoachNet is now not covered as Monaco did not pay CoachNet for the membership. As such, anyone who has a new Monaco product that is supposed to be covered with CoachNet--surprise..you are not covered....CoachNet will reach out to these users to sell you a membership...Fortunately, I was a previous member to CoachNet when I had my Coachmen...and the memberships overlapped so I am a true member of CoachNet...it will just expire sooner and I will have to renew it sooner....
Just another way that we are victims of this entire Monaco debacle.

bullydogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2009, 01:13 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Unhappy

Thanks for the heads-up. We are also new owners, we've owned it since January, but have had it in storage at the dealers since and suppose to pick it up tomorrow. We are excited about getting it , but dissapointed in the outcome of Monaco. BYT it's a 08 36 sbd vacationer.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:38 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You should be covered by the chassis manufacture.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:04 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Richard;

I'm certain a lot of people will respond...

The chassis Monaco uses is RoadMaster, made by Monaco. I think with Monaco in Chapter 11, there is no warranty for the chassis as well.:(
'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
BudtheDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:30 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Stuart;

This problem with Coachnet might be a plague for us all, even if we are using Good Sam, etc. I've not received any correspondence as yet, but based on your letter, need to expect it.

Since many parts of the coach come with a multi-year warranty, like the chassis, I am concerned that those of us who develop chassis problems might be up the proverbial creek.

My dealer charged me to check out my chassis air system because Monaco refused to pay. I'm losing system pressure from 121 lbs overnight to less than 30. Actually the needle is about halfway between 30 and zero. The dealer said this is "NORMAL." Sure it is. Just like a heart attack is normal.

Now I'm reading that banks are refusing to finance Monacos, Country Coaches, anything by Fleetwood, National RV, etc.

Tough times.
'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
BudtheDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:21 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Roadmaster is a seperate company partially owned by Monaco (minority) and partially owned by Navistar (majority). The Chapter 11 filed by Monaco did not and could not include Roadmaster because they were not the sole or majority owner. The shares of Roadmaster would be listed on the books of Monaco as an assett.

Your Roadmaster Roadmaster Warranty should still be intact.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:27 PM   #7

Nor'easters Club
With apologies to Bullydogs, I wrote all this and then saw his post regarding the issue. Anyway, I decided to post it in any case since the letter is included word for word. Cheez!!!! What a deal.....anyway the post is below:

I got home from work today to find the following letter from Coach- Net:

March 15, 2009

Re: Membership #XXXXXX

Our records indicate that you purchased a Holiday Rambler RV on 10/15/2008. During this period, Monaco was teamed up with Coach-Net to provide you a complimentary Technical and Roadside Assistance package, set to run one year from your date of purchase.

In lieu of Monaco’s Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing, I regret to inform you that Monaco did not activate and pay for your road service membership. Although your information was registered in our system and you received a membership packet, please be advised that the account number listed above is not valid.

I would like to extend an invitation for you to activate your membership at a deeply discounted rate. At your first opportunity, please review the enclosed brochure which includes numerous benefits above and beyond your original Monaco program, it outlines our Gold and Platinum Plus membership levels and pricing.

Please contact our membership sales department at 877-801-0333 to enroll and guard against the unexpected!

I sincerely apologize for any inconvienience that this notice may cause.

Best Regards,

Ed Thor
Vice President, Sales

So, I reviewed the brochure and picked the phone up and called them. The “deeply discounted” price was quoted over the phone as $99. The normal brochure price is $99…hmmmm. Then a supervisor told me that their agreement was with Monaco and not with the coach owner…..hmmmm. They said that since Monaco didn’t pay them that they may run out of money if they don’t cancel the new owners contracts….hmmmm.

So after a lot of debate the person I spoke with agreed to look into a prorated rate to finish my term (the coach has sat in my garage from 10/15 till now with no chance to cost them anything). HOW do I know that they were NEVER PAID BY MONACO??? What a great untraceable way to deny service!!!

What we have here is just another insult on top of the injury of no warranty, accelerated depreciation, hard to get parts and so on. Just thought I’d share.

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:29 PM   #8

More Thoughts on this

Ron has a very interesting point...

They probably had an agreement with Monaco...

Each person gets a membership and they bill Monaco...we are the benefactor of the contract and Monaco is the payor...the payor goes Chapter 11 so CoachNet provides the service to us but gets stiffed legally because of the 11....so they are trying to recoup what they can by any means possible (whether it is legal or not)......

This would be very interesting for a good lawyer to delve into and could open a door to a class action lawsuit by Monaco owners against CoachNet as they are trying to recoup their loss from a chapter 11 by illegal means.

It's like if your car manufacturer goes bad and doesn't pay for its parts, the parts supplier bills you (the customer or benefactor here) for the part.

I think legally they might have to honor every membership up until the day of Chapter 11 or they may be up for charges by the attorney general for a breach of contract. The fact that they are the stiffed creditor by the Chapter 11 is another separate matter.

I'm not out any real money here....but I don't want to be stuck on the road with a tire failure or other emergency and get no response. And I don't want any of us to. And on a cell phone while you are disabled on the road , no law is going to help you .

But I bet the AG of Arizona might knock at the door and give them an education they won't forget. We need CoachNet and they provide good service. I'm sorry that they got stiffed by Monaco....but so did many many other people and there are a bunch of unemployed workers, both from the factory and the dealers that basically are on the verge of collapse from it.

Let's all hope the dust settles soon from this whole adventure and we can all have a great RV season....I can't wait to get started.....
bullydogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:12 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Just a reminder... you can get roadside assistance through your insurance policy, we have it on all of our vehicles.

Brenda, of...
Old 03-21-2009, 06:47 AM   #10

Nor'easters Club
bsavage,

We have that coverage through our GMAC/FMCA policy. Let me tell you that while they will cover your "covered loss" minus your deductible, as far as finding someone in the evening or Saturday morning to look for roadside assistance, they are not the way to go and you will sit a long time if you wait for them. Additionally, you will pay your bill up front and then file a claim with your insurer and wait until they get around to sending the money to you.
Outfits like Coach-Net offer 24x7 knowledgeable help and have a well maintained network of service providers.
I still do not defend what they are doing in my particular case and strongly feel they should honor their contract until it expires on October 15 this year.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:08 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Each person gets a membership and they bill Monaco...we are the benefactor of the contract and Monaco is the payor...the payor goes Chapter 11 so CoachNet provides the service to us but gets stiffed legally because of the 11....so they are trying to recoup what they can by any means possible (whether it is legal or not)......
I don't see it that way. They aren't trying to recoup anything, i.e. they are not asking owners to pay for any services they may have already received prior to the Chapter 11. What they are doing is simply canceling the unpaid contracts, so they will not have to pay for any future claims for roadside services. Seems perfectly reasonable to me.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:24 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I have to agree with Roamer...why would anyone expect them to continue to deliver future service to customers when they have not been paid.....Blame Monaco for failure to pay, not Coach Net......having an 01 Dynasty, I've paid for an had Coach Net for several years, and they have always come through on the 2 occassions I needed them.
teofff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:58 AM   #13

Nor'easters Club
Teoff & RV Roamer
Do you honestly think that the buyers of new Monaco products don't actually pay for that Coach-Net service in the price of the Motorhome?
As I said...it's not the money, I can certainly afford the $100. It's the insult.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:59 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
RVRon....
I can understand your disappointment...however, for all the reasons we have discussed ot length on this form, Monaco is BROKE. and trying hard to reorganize and come back.....
I am confused as to why your insulted....I feel far worse for the hundreds of Monaco employees who lost their jobs than for you losing your coverage for the balance of the year......

teofff is offline   Reply With Quote