Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2016, 11:50 AM   #1

CoachStep Taken over by Lippert - Need Help

Hey Everyone

Spoke with Monaco Tech Support (great service!) today regarding my electric steps. Found out the brand name is CoachStep and Lippert bought them out and then closed them down.

Explained to Monaco Tech support that my steps are not working properly. The steps will extend and retract correctly (for a while) then either remain in the retracted or extended position when opening and closing the door. If I do not open the door for an extended period of time, the steps will function properly when the door is opened. After opening and closing the door two or three times, the steps will once again stay in the extended or retracted position, depending on the step position when the gremlins tell the steps to stop working.

Tech support said it could be number of things causing the problem, from the magnetic sensors in the door to the control module or step motor. They no longer carry all the parts for the Coachstep model and replacement parts are no longer manufactured. They informed me that Lippert is encouraging everyone to switch over to Kwikee steps?? Tech added this would be very expensive to do!

I am not sure what the problem is at this point but I did notice that if I wipe off the magnetic sensor, the steps will retract sometimes. Perhaps the sensors are worn??

According to Monaco, the part numbers are..........

Step Motor - part number S166-19772

Step Module - part number S166-1900

Magnetic Sensor - part number 1620878

CoachStep Model Number 728-0031

Hoping for some advice on what the problem may be and a source to purchase parts that are no longer manufactured. Thanks again!

Jeannie and Frank
2007 Monaco Cayman XL
JustCruising is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2016, 12:02 PM   #2

The first thing that I would do is to contact Stromberg Carlson at 231-947-8600. They will be able to advise on what components are still available.

If that doesn't help call Lippert and discuss the Coach Step recall options. Worst case, you could be eligible for a $200 discount on a new Kwikkee step.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:49 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Have you checked/cleaned all connections? Maybe a bad connection get hot/loose after several times and won't work as well. ... just a thought.

The 'sometimes' problems are the worst!
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 02:26 PM   #4

Try this link for trouble shooting

http://www.strombergcarlson.com/loca...%20Lippert.pdf
lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 04:20 PM   #5

Thanks everyone. I am using the troubleshooting guide to make sure the problem is not something simple. If that does not work, I will call regarding replacement parts or putting in the Kwikee steps. In the event I need to chose between replacement parts or putting in the Kwikee step, I would like to hear whether or not the cost to install the Kwikee step is worth it. Can anyone share why Lippert ended the production of one type of steps in favor of another?

Thanks!!

Jeannie and Frank
2007 Monaco Cayman XL
JustCruising is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lippert, need help