Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2020, 06:17 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
"Cold" Tire Pressure

Here's my situation. I've weight the coach all 4 corners. Went into the tire mfg charts and for conversation, my steers are to be set at 116. Drives at 110. No tag.

I store my coach inside my enclosed garage at home. During the summer, the lowest it can get is sometimes 90 degrees. I set all tire pressures as above.
The coach can sit like that for several weeks and no pressure drop at all, so I know I don't have a leak.
We go on a trip to the beach, much cooler climate. Coach sits a there a few days and one early morning I check my tires. 106 both steers. 100 on all 4 drives. Temperature outside was about 60 degrees.

If I adjust them when I'm home at the 90 outside temperature, am I running the tires with too low of a pressure?

Both scenarios I have checked the tires 'cold' (from my understanding of what cold is). Is there a chart to adjust for temperature? Maybe someone can 'splain' it to me.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2020, 06:26 PM   #2

Wondered the same thing but am pretty sure truckers don't run around inflating and deflating their tires as they go cross country-or maybe they do???. Same might be asked of altitude changes as ambient air pressure affects tire pressure too. Best as I can figure--tires will warm to ops temperature in a few miles anyway and pressures will increase. So I usually set tires for the warmest ambient temps that I will encounter--in south Texas, that usually means before I leave home....?????
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 06:36 PM   #3

Set/Adjust tire pressure COLD ---Not driven on for at least 2 hours
Best done Morning of departure

Then set/adjust tire pressure COLD at next place on Morning of Departure

Fluctuations in tire pressure has already been accounted for by ture engineers
Adjust COLD prior to departure regardless of where you are/have been
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:30 PM   #4

Yep...set it cold the day you travel and don't sweat the temp changes for that day. Next day...if there is a big temp change, adjust for that day and drive. It is always better to have more pressure than less, as sidewall flexing is what generates the tire destroying heat. Don't lower pressure unless the cold goes above the 120psi max limit cold.
Cj D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:43 PM   #5

….tire temperature and pressure are very important and that is why a good TPMS is so important for RVer…..but I just don't know of anyone who checks tire pressure and adjust for changes in ambient temp on a daily basis.....winter vs summer-sure; yesterday vs today-probably not. Yup soft side walls produce heat but on an otherwise cold day--not so much--if you don't see [TPMS] normal tire ops temps after several miles of highway driving, then perhaps you have an issue.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cj D View Post
It is always better to have more pressure than less, as sidewall flexing is what generates the tire destroying heat. Don't lower pressure unless the cold goes above the 120psi max limit cold.
Correct pressure is ideal. 120psi may be a bad call for a coach that has a recommenced pressure of 75-80psi.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Set/Adjust tire pressure COLD ---Not driven on for at least 2 hours
Best done Morning of departure

Then set/adjust tire pressure COLD at next place on Morning of Departure

Fluctuations in tire pressure has already been accounted for by ture engineers
Adjust COLD prior to departure regardless of where you are/have been
X2 Even more important when traveling in winter, north to south. Morning temps in Ontario 0F, 2 days later in FL, morning temp of 80F. I can't remember the exact pressures, but the handling and ride drastically changed for the worse .

Ken
Kenny Loney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 12:19 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
RVers mess around with tire pressures so much on vehicles that hardly do any miles. I drove truck for a company that was based out of Vancouver BC. We hauled refrigerated product from anywhere from California/Arizona to Yukon/Alaska. Tires were set to 110 and didn't piss around with pressure. Tire gauge was a ballpeen hammer every couple of hours and got 100K to 120K to a set of tires. Too much thought going into this in my opinion. 43 years and 3 to 4 million miles. Happy trails, Don
DiplomatDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 01:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiplomatDon View Post
RVers mess around with tire pressures so much on vehicles that hardly do any miles. I drove truck for a company that was based out of Vancouver BC. We hauled refrigerated product from anywhere from California/Arizona to Yukon/Alaska. Tires were set to 110 and didn't piss around with pressure. Tire gauge was a ballpeen hammer every couple of hours and got 100K to 120K to a set of tires. Too much thought going into this in my opinion. 43 years and 3 to 4 million miles. Happy trails, Don
Yeah, I get it. It is a hobby for some people, rather than work though. People like to tinker and have the optimal setup. Just like a hobbyist tinkering with their hotrod, camera, telescope, model train, or whatever. The time and money that goes into it are no object, so why not be optimized.
epeddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 08:38 AM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
60 deg !

Bill, did you two have to buy parka's and long john's ?

Your case I would add about 4psi to each and call it good. Depending what your temp is at when you get back home, you may need to drain it back out.
Old 10-02-2020, 10:34 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
60 deg !

Bill, did you two have to buy parka's and long john's ?

Your case I would add about 4psi to each and call it good. Depending what your temp is at when you get back home, you may need to drain it back out.
Ben,

I was loving it. Shorts, T shirt and flip flops. But the DW did have her long underwear on, and her heavy duty ski jacket. She hates it when it gets down to a 'bone chilling' 60.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 08:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
Correct pressure is ideal. 120psi may be a bad call for a coach that has a recommenced pressure of 75-80psi.
It's actually better for the tire...worse for the ride quality with the higher pressure. I personally run at 120 cold all the time. But my tires have a minimum pressure stamped at 80psi anyway.
Cj D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 09:00 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Agree on the hobby aspect of it, but the ride quality and safety aspect are considerations...
On our cars and suv's it's not nearly a concern, but with 30-40k on our rv tires and NO air ride chairs like in many of the trucks, we like the comfort since we are not 'working'
If it's the companies truck, we usually can't tell them what to do with their equipment, but hopefully, we still have the right to change our own.
Old 10-06-2020, 10:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cj D View Post
It's actually better for the tire...worse for the ride quality with the higher pressure. I personally run at 120 cold all the time. But my tires have a minimum pressure stamped at 80psi anyway.
Do you actually know the recommended tire pressure for your coach?

It isn’t “better” to inflate a tire to 120 if the recommended pressure is 80. I know, 80 is your minimum.

It also, is not sage advice to suggest that everyone inflate to 120 or maximum sidewall pressure. That’s just using ignorance as a guide
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire pressure