RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2012, 02:19 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Cold Weather Package

I am a new DP owner. As I was looking at the original window sticker,(line sheet) I see some items that I'm not sure about. Two were optional equipment and one is standard equipment. Opional items are, Energy Management System & the other is a Cold Weather Package. The standard item is, insulated utility bay w/12 heater.

What is the cold weather package, and what is an energy management system? Which bay would be the insulated utility bay with a 12v heater?

Owen
Havana, Florida
01 HR Ambassador
Gearshift39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2012, 02:35 PM   #2

Cold weather package is a great value. It saves you in cold weather. Almost every part of the underneath is insulated and nothing underneath exposed. Standard would usually be the "water" control bay
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:49 PM   #3

Energy management system (EMS) will help keep you from drawing to much power from the pedestal.
The Cold weather package will give you more and generally better insulation, depending on manufacturer could be called 4 season.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:02 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Monaco's EMS see's if you are plugged into 30 amp (not 50 amp) power, and monitors your power draw, and can and will drop load out to reduce your draw. it's a good thing. not as good as 50 amp power, but very nice to have.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:15 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Monaco's cold weather package generally includes tank heating pads as well to keep the water tanks (fresh, black, grey) from freezing.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:40 PM   #6

Living in florida you dont have a lot of need for cold weather pkg, the power mgt is nice that you can visit friends with a 20 amp plug and keep batteries up and run one power item coffee pot, microwave, etc NO a/c in 20 amp ems will dump them right now...

If you get caught up in the cold country its nice to not have to worry about winterizing the bays while you head south to warm...
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:29 PM   #7

Unless of course you are trying to keep the heat out in the summer.....
Old 09-26-2012, 05:59 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
This is the first I've heard of Monaco having a cold weather package. I would be very interested in the specific details of it. We have talked about doing some insulating in the basement, wondering how to do it.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:08 PM   #9
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Well I have the cold weather package, and there is NO added insulation. The package consist of a heater in the service bay, and heaters under all the tanks. There is a System switch in the cabinet overhead the passenger side that MUST be turned on in order for the heater or tank heaters to be powered.

So does it work - well yes but you have to make sure there is some fluid in the tanks before the tank heaters power up. Does it work well - don't know for sure as I don't ever intend to be in cold enough weather to find out. I have operated the coach in 17-degree weather WITHOUT the tank heaters and had no problem.

In my coach there is a hole under the shower into the service bay. It looks to be 10 - 12 inches square. There is a louver vent on the front of the shower. I assume this is to allow warm air flow from the living area into the service bay. I plan on closing that hole as it also allows critters access into the rest of the coach.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:47 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Rex,

Thanks for that info.

Our biggest complaint with our coach is it is not insulated well enough in the floor and basement areas. In all honesty, the coach manufacturers need to sit down and look at the 5th wheels out there with Arctic Packages, Cold Winter Packages, etc. These guys really mean business.

We want to find the best way to insulate and cover the bottom of the coach underneath the basements, the front floor ahead of the basements, from on top of the front wheels to the front of the coach, and the bedroom floor around the engine room cover. We've also been considering adding a good heater run off the engine coolant somewhere in the rear area of the coach.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:13 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Actually, depending on which A/C you have, you can operate 1 quite well on 20 amps - I do it all the time. The trick is you have to switch the fridge to propane and not use much else. Also limit the charger down to 5 amps. The EMS will tell you how you're doing at holding power use down - need to get it to 17 amps or below to keep the A/C on full time, and the 13,500 heat pumps uses 13 each.

Cold weather package prevents freezing quite well - I'm in oregon, and don't winterize because we use the RV in the winter too - our longest trip of the year is usually in Feb.
I plug into a 50 amp plug, turn on the tank heaters, set the heat pump at 45 or so, close the front curtains (the BIGGEST thing you can do to keep it warm! The heat loss through that huge expanse of single pane glass is amazing) and leave it. It is protected from the weather but not the cold. Never had a problem.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:23 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkate View Post
This is the first I've heard of Monaco having a cold weather package. I would be very interested in the specific details of it. We have talked about doing some insulating in the basement, wondering how to do it.
You could have them spray some foam insulation under the coach, that would add a nice layer of insulation
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:19 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I've been low twenty temperature weather.

I have the wet bay heater and heater pads. Also when using the furnace, the bays are all heated by the furnace. They all have vents. The system works quite well.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:20 AM   #14

Heat pumps are nice but most of them are not useful with temperatures below 35 degrees. in my coach they will shut off and turn the gas furnaces on to maintain coach temperature
doublechevy is offline   Reply With Quote