Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2021, 05:18 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Cold weather package tank heat pads

So with all the work I've been doing on my rig I happened to find a bundle of heavy gauge wire (+ & -) coiled up on top of my black and gray tanks. I do not see any sighs of heating pads looking from either side of the tanks.

In my rear passenger side electrical bay there is a relay for the Cold Weather package that is also shown on my wiring diagram and listed as optional.

So my question is>>> for those of you who have the tank heating pads, do they work would it be worth trying to install at least one under the fresh water tank. What size heating pad do you have, watts!!
I think that if I drain the tank I could elevate it enough to get a pad underneath it. Since the wires and control are already installed I'm only looking at the cost.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2021, 08:50 PM   #2

You grabbed my interest . I googled look real cheap as far as MH stuff goes. The 3 pack for about $80 on Amazon has a good vid test in Q&A.Up to 50 gallon so two should work for 100 gallon in parallel .

https://www.google.com/search?q=12+v...hrome&ie=UTF-8

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07ZJJ7M...omp_srsr1&th=1
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 08:19 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks, I also googled to see what was available.

My real question is how many people have the heat pads, do they work, would it be worth installing.

The hard part is there, the wiring is already in place so it would be just a matter of buying and installing the pads.

My fresh water tank is on the bottom so my thought would be if I used them there the heat would radiate up to the black and grey tanks.
Old 10-08-2021, 09:40 AM   #4

Jim-

My coach came with the pads, as part of the "cold weather package" option. It's tough to figure out if they "work," as there are no user controls for the pads separate from the "system heat" switch. On the other hand, I haven't had any problems with that part of the system, either.

I couldn't reach the tanks easily to add pads. I can't add SeeLevel tank level readers, either.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 09:49 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Jim, I also have the pads installed but with just an on off switch not sure what temperatures they cycle in and out at. I know they turn on when the bay is cold as I have seen that on a trip south two years ago. And they did turn off automatically when we got further south into warmer weather.
Not a lot of help I am afraid.

Terry
96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 10:17 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96Bounder1st View Post
Jim, I also have the pads installed but with just an on off switch not sure what temperatures they cycle in and out at. I know they turn on when the bay is cold as I have seen that on a trip south two years ago. And they did turn off automatically when we got further south into warmer weather.
Not a lot of help I am afraid.

Terry

Do you know what size pad was installed?

My wiring diagram shows that the relay is controlled by the same snap disc the small wet bay heater is controlled by, which makes sense. The bay heater is controlled by the system heat switch above the drivers seat.
Old 10-18-2021, 12:14 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
So I've checked out the wiring on the coach. I have a relay in the passenger side rear electrical bay that is labeled Cold Weather Package "optional".
I turned the system heat switch on to see if this would trigger power to the wires I found in my wet bay. It did not.
I then went ahead and jumped the snap disc in my wet bay, the small heater started and I had voltage to the wires I found.

So my system heat switch controls power to both the small heater and to the tank heat pads if they were installed.

I checked and I found tank pad heaters on Ebay for ~$50 for a set of 2, I believe they are 78 watt each. So I went ahead and ordered.

The heat pads have their own temp control that turns them on/off so it they will be on when it is really cold and the small wet bay heater can't keep up, which makes sense.

Here is a screen shot of the wiring for the system heat, this is different then what other have but for now I will leave it as is.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2002 Windsor wiring wet bay heater.pdf (92.1 KB, 22 views)
Old 10-25-2021, 12:06 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I went ahead and decided to add 3 heat pads, two under the fresh water and one under the black and grey tanks. I ordered 3 of the 7.25" X 25" pads, ~78 watt of heating each and says they are rated for 50 gallons. Automatic thermostat, on at 45 and off at 67F.

These however will be controlled by the wet bay heater snap disc, the way my system is wired the relay that controls the tank heaters gets a signal from the snap disc. So if it is not too cold off I think the wet bay heater will cycle the snap disc off and on to limit how much the tank heaters run, in real cold whether the wet bay heater will have to run more.

I have easy access to the back side of my fresh, grey, black water tanks via a basement door. Makes things easier plush there is decent amount of storage next to the fresh water tank for longer items.

I drained the fresh water tank and disconnected the overflow fitting and moved it out of the way, this allowed me to lift the fresh water tank about 3/4". I took and peeled the paper off the heat pad self adhesive side, working it off/on several times to make it easier to release. I was then able to slide the tank pad heater under the fresh water tank and then peeling the paper off, rolling it off actually, came right off. I then lowered the tank and let it sit to get the adhesive to adhere to the tank. In the instruction it recommended cleaning the tank with denatured alcohol first but there was no way I could easily do that, but when the tank has water in it there will be enough pressure to hold the pads tight. Repeated the same for the second pad going under the fresh water tank.

The grey and black water might be a little harder since I can't lift them but I found that I could pry the platform they sit on down enough to slide the tank pad heater under it. I tested this out first to make sure I could slide it into position.

Each tank heater will have a 10 amp fuse connected to the 10awg wire that is controlled by a relay back in my passenger side electrical bay, the whole system is protected by a 30 amp circuit breaker. If I decide I don't need all 3 running I can simply pull one or two fuses.

When I get to cold weather I'll take some amp readings to confirm power draw.

So for a total cost of ~~$140 I was able to add 3 tank heaters.
Old 11-01-2021, 08:44 PM   #9

Nice project! I looked at adding heat pads to mine but couldn't work out a way to get access to the underside of the tanks. Instead, I installed a space heater that cycles on and off when the weather is cold. Below 0F? Still have to drain tanks just to be safe. I'm not as concerned with grey/black freezing as we don't let them get very full.
Old 11-02-2021, 06:45 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I have access to the back side of my tanks, some coaches have access doors, others a panel. The panel in most cases is held down with straps and you can loosen and lift panel for access.

My fresh water tank had a~1" gap above it so after I drained it I was able to lift it up and easily slide a pad underneath. I only bought one to test and I was able to slide it in.

Then bought a second pad and tested it on the black and gray water. In that case those tanks are supported by a 3/4" piece of plywood but the plywood is supported by straps ~2' back form the end. I was able to cut pieces of wood and wedge the plywood down enough to slide the pad in.

Installed a 3rd pad under the fresh water tank as they are rated for 50 gallons each.

I put fuses on each pad but for the time being left the fuse out of the black/gray water as they say the tanks must have water in them to use.

I also installed a remote temp monitor on the back side of the tanks and have the receiver mounted in the motorhome. So if it gets cold enough I'll put the fuse in and see how the system does. If it gets really cold I'll flip on the propane furnace heats the tank bay.
Old 11-29-2021, 12:29 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
So I got a chance to test the System Heat with the new tank pads. Traveled though TX, AZ, OK, AR over the last two weeks with temps dipping to ~20F.
Unfortunately during the day it was warm enough that the system never came on based on the indicator light and at night I can't see it from bed. The remote temp never dropped below 50, seemed strange.
Today when I got up and left ~7AM to start driving it was ~20F. I could see the indicator light from the drivers seat and I did see it cycle off and on several times so I knew at least the snap disc was working.
When I stopped for fuel I went a head and checked the fresh water tank temp with a thermo gun. Sure enough, the tanks were a toasty 55F, the heating pads were doing there job. I checked the wet bay and the small heater fan was also warm. So the system does work. Not sure how cold it will protect to but I'm satisfied. Cost was ~$125 for 3 pads and fuse holders and misc wiring. Since a bulk of the wiring was already in place it was a pretty easy install.

I am going to wire in a small indicator light in the bedroom that will come on whey the system heat is on. That way I can monitor to confirm all is OK.
Old 11-29-2021, 12:52 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
So I got a chance to test the System Heat with the new tank pads. Traveled though TX, AZ, OK, AR over the last two weeks with temps dipping to ~20F.
Unfortunately during the day it was warm enough that the system never came on based on the indicator light and at night I can't see it from bed. The remote temp never dropped below 50, seemed strange.
Today when I got up and left ~7AM to start driving it was ~20F. I could see the indicator light from the drivers seat and I did see it cycle off and on several times so I knew at least the snap disc was working.
When I stopped for fuel I went a head and checked the fresh water tank temp with a thermo gun. Sure enough, the tanks were a toasty 55F, the heating pads were doing there job. I checked the wet bay and the small heater fan was also warm. So the system does work. Not sure how cold it will protect to but I'm satisfied. Cost was ~$125 for 3 pads and fuse holders and misc wiring. Since a bulk of the wiring was already in place it was a pretty easy install.

I am going to wire in a small indicator light in the bedroom that will come on whey the system heat is on. That way I can monitor to confirm all is OK.
Old 11-29-2021, 01:05 PM   #13

So what would happen if these heaters came on when the tanks were empty? Would the tanks buckle or warp?
Does anyone know if a 2008 WinView has unregulated heaters or are there thermostats? I have never used my heaters, although I have had to recement them after they had developed dog-ears. Thanks!
Old 11-29-2021, 02:23 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Not sure what would happen with an empty tank. That was a general warning on the tank heater installation instructions. I also watched a couple YouTube videos that had the same warning.

That's why I left the fuse out of the tank heater under the black and grey tank. If I know there's liquid in them and it is cold out I can put the fuse in without worry.
I always travel with water in the fresh water tank.

Each tank pad heater had it's own thermostat but the whole system is controlled by a snap disc.

Tags
cold weather, heat, tank