RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2014, 07:14 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Combo washer/dryer: The good, the bad, the ugly?

How well do those combo washers/dryers work that I see in so many Monaco MH's? As long as you keep up the maintenance on them and clean out the filter/trap at the base of the unit do they work okay?

TimSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2014, 07:46 PM   #2

We have been in our '06 Dynasty over 40% of the time since it was new. Probably 75% of that time was on multi-week or multi-month "outings" where we couldn't bring the dirty stuff home to launder. We have NEVER used a laundromat, but rather while on the road we have done every single load of clothing, linens and bedding in our Splendide combo unit. It has never given us a lick of trouble. Be sure to use what they call HE detergent, for its low sudsing properties. It takes quite a long time to dry stuff, but it does get it done. It doesn't produce as wrinkle free of a product as larger, hotter dryers do. But it is ours, it is clean, it is easy. Bottom line, we wouldn't do without it.

K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:18 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We also have the combo washer/dryer. The dryer is almost useless. We added a dryer to our rig and it makes laundry much faster and easier.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by K7JV View Post
We have been in our '06 Dynasty over 40% of the time since it was new. Probably 75% of that time was on multi-week or multi-month "outings" where we couldn't bring the dirty stuff home to launder. We have NEVER used a laundromat, but rather while on the road we have done every single load of clothing, linens and bedding in our Splendide combo unit. It has never given us a lick of trouble. Be sure to use what they call HE detergent, for its low sudsing properties. It takes quite a long time to dry stuff, but it does get it done. It doesn't produce as wrinkle free of a product as larger, hotter dryers do. But it is ours, it is clean, it is easy. Bottom line, we wouldn't do without it.

We have the same combo unit and agree with this post completely. We have been full time for 7 years now and our combo is the right balance between size and performance. Just be sure it's a unit vented to the outside. The ventless units are less satisfactory.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:17 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
we use ours a lot. It takes longer to do a load, and the load will be smaller, and it will fill your grey tank quickly (so just leave that open) other than that, seems to work quite well.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:18 AM   #6

What Steve and Jim said. Use only one to two tablespoons of detergent. Same with softener. I don't know why people say dryer takes a long time. I find mine drys faster than the one in my house did. Wouldn't be without it.
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:37 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
We have had both the single unit (washer/dryer) and the separate units. The single unit worked just fine and I liked the ability to start the wash at bedtime and wake up to dried clothes - no having to move them to a dryer. The drawbacks to the units are the small loads and length of time for drying. But, you adjust and it sure beats spending time in a laundry mat. We only use it when the grey valve can be left open - certainly not boondocking!
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSullivan View Post
How well do those combo washers/dryers work that I see in so many Monaco MH's? As long as you keep up the maintenance on them and clean out the filter/trap at the base of the unit do they work okay?
What everybody else says, I like mine! I have been full-timing by myself since 2005, had a Splendide in my first MH (mid-2005-Dec 2007). I had the model 2100XC installed in my latest motorhome when I bought it in 2010. 2-3 loads a week, every week since April of 2010. No problems, no filters to clean. The filter you talk about (at least on the newer Splendides) only requires cleaning if you lose a button or leave a coin in a pocket and it "escapes". That filter is there to protect the motor. I have never had to clean that filter in 5+ years(280 weeks times twice a week = 580 loads, and that doesn't include the 2+ years in '05-'07)). They are pretty much maintenance free, at least mine has been (knock on wood!)
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:04 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Since you have used both the older versions of the Splendide and the new one, I was wondering if you have noticed a significant difference in the two. I have the 2005 version and was wondering what I am missing out on.
bkane@passporthealthmi.com
B Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:03 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Agree with the comments above. It's convenient, but slow to dry and only practical with hookup to sewer.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:26 AM   #11

I really like our single unit.. BUT.. don't pull on the handle until the load is done.. done done.. wife broke it off easily.. I just used JB weld and glued it back together. I think that plastic handle cost over $50. rip off.. try the glue
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:35 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
We just put in the new unit and the DW says it will
hold a bigger load.
No more filter to keep an eye on.
Do at least two loads per week.
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:39 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Not sure of the Spendide load size compared to the Majestic that we have but we've found that you can wash twice as much clothing as you can dry so either do smaller wash loads or split the washed clothing into two dry loads and it should dry just fine. Ours is a vented model.
2006 Alpine Apex M-40FDQS #75594
2014 Honda CRV w/navi
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:53 AM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I think the key is the vented model. We have a Splendide vented model and it works great. However, last year I had the opportunity to use a ventless model. Somehow it steams the clothes while drying??? I am not sure how that works, but the results were permanent winkles. The vented Splendide combo unit is great. Also, it must be weighted for stability, and it is heavy.

Philliec is offline   Reply With Quote