RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2014, 12:21 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Coming to the Dark Side

I'm seriously considering going from a DP Winnebago 42QD to a new HR Vacationer 36DB. I've always owned diesels, so a gas rig is going to be new. I'm familiar with the gas vs diesel debate and either is okay with me. I know the pluses and minuses.

My wife and I are downsizing a lot of things. We moved from a 4400 SF house to one that is 1660 SF and made the adjustments. We sold some of our cars. The Tour was next on the list. In AZ, the cost of the tags is based on the MSRP and insurance was equally high considering the amount of traveling we do. I love the Tour, but we're spending almost $700 a month for the privilege of owning it...and we don't owe anything on it.

Add in some maintenance and it gets insane. I could buy a condo in each place we visit for that kind of money. I found a few gas MHs that were appealing, but the HR 36DB topped the list. It has the right things that we want, without too much fluff that we don't care about.

I'm interested in hearing from people who have made the transition. Normally we RVers camp, buy a trailer, then a motorhome etc. Sometimes we reverse that course like I'm doing. I'd like some feedback from others who've had some experience with this and especially with the new HR gas rigs. I've heard a lot about Winnebago's recent QC problems. Is HR suffering the same issues with the increase in volume? I'm all ears...or eyes in this case

kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2014, 09:45 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
While I haven't actually done what your considering doing. I will say that we are currently traveling with some friends that have the 2012 version of that coach. We are both fulltimers. I think it would be just a bit tight for fulltiming, but for Vacationing that is a great coach, we really like the floorplan of that unit and they really are happy with there choice.

Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:52 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Hope the changes work out good for you!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 11:00 AM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjburns View Post
I love the Tour, but we're spending almost $700 a month for the privilege of owning it...and we don't owe anything on it.
Ouch!! Thats crazy !
Old 11-26-2014, 02:31 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Have you considered registering your rig in another state? FL tags and insurance cost me $700 a year. Plus maintenance.
Rick
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:05 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I've thought about that, but with my luck, I would get caught. Last week, I saw an obvious Montana LLC, where the coach had Montana plates and the toad had Arizona plates.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:24 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjburns View Post
I've thought about that, but with my luck, I would get caught. Last week, I saw an obvious Montana LLC, where the coach had Montana plates and the toad had Arizona plates.
I don't know about you but I'd not sleep well worrying about the legal ramifications in that scenario. I have a friend who did that with his motorhome and it just doesn't seem worth the stress involved, to me.

At some point in our lives we all need to think about downsizing, if we are lucky enough to be around that long.

Have you thought about actually moving to another state?
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:07 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat View Post
Have you thought about actually moving to another state?
No, we're not likely to move to another state for a couple of reasons. We just moved from a large house to one that's about a third the size in an area that has an RV resort and houses. We like it here.

Also, the cost of the plates is only half the equation. The insurance for a coach like the 42QD is equally expensive and we don't have any claims or violations. It's all based on MSRP. The Vacationer is less than half of the Tour and we're not giving up that much. I'm guessing that the tags and insurance will be about half, more suited to how we use the RV.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:38 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We've taken delivery of our 2015 Vacationer 36DBT. So far,it's looking good. We're giving up a few minor things, but nothing we can't live without. After the long drive to the dealer and moving into the new coach, my wife is exhausted.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:27 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We are once a month weekenders and a couple times a year weeklong vacationers. A gas coach is best for us cost-wise from previous experiences of a diesel FRED. In a couple few years we retire and are planning a diesel pusher when the usage model changes to half-timers.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:10 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
So, we spent a few days in the new coach and it's time for a mini review. The trip home was 400 miles and the handling was very good. Winds were at 15 to 20 and did not push it around at all. The ride is a bit rougher than the DP, but everyone knows that. The transmission will drop to 4th or 3rd on pretty minor grades with the cruise control on. The engine winds up with some noise, but it does charge up grades nicely. Fuel economy looks to be decent, but the pump shut off at $99.55 and it wasn't full. I'm guessing this station had a $100 limit and it shut off early. I'd driven 300 miles at that point and put 33 gallons in it.

The interior is exactly what we wanted. It's sort of a compact version of our Tour 42QD with the driver's seat serving as my chair and my wife taking the couch. We got the optional table between the front seats. It is only for use while parked since it's pretty big and takes up most of the space between the seats. The table does wobble a bit if bumped. I'm thinking it's because the base is mounted above the carpet. Tightening the screws or cutting the carpet might solve that one.

One surprise is that there is no towel bar in the rear bath. At first I thought it was missing, then I searched online photos and found that it's a "feature"

Our coach had the optional GPS on the spec sheet, but it wasn't there. Lazy Days is working on it. There is a round receptacle on the dash that seems to be where the GPS mounts. It's not integrated into the infotainment system. I was disappointed in the Tour's GPS and bought a Garmin. We'll see if the HR GPS is better.

We had a Winegard Trav'ler SK1000 installed. The HDMI cable for the front TV was a bit short and way too short with the zip tie. There is another HDMI cable in the front cabinets and I haven't figured out where it connects. It might serve the outside TV. The bedroom receiver goes behind the TV in a cabinet that's too small for our receiver. There is an HDMI cable there, but it doesn't serve that TV...hmmm.

The rear toilet has electric push button flush, like our Tour did. They tend to use more water than the foot flush we now have in the half bath. The rear bath is smaller, with a shower that's barely wider than my shoulders. The half bath is spacious, with a lot more storage than I had in the Tour.

My wife loves the kitchen. It's pretty much the standard RV kitchen, with the larger refrigerator and no pantry.

One "issue" I ran into was power to the receptacles when unplugged. I had unplugged the cord before retracting the Trav'ler. There was no power to that outlet, even with the generator running. I didn't try the inverter. I had to plug the 50 amp cable back in to get the Trav'ler to retract.

Overall, we're really happy with this coach. It's got the right stuff for us at a price that is more in line with our usage. We're giving up very little and saving thousands on the tags, insurance and maintenance. There are a few of the expected QC issues that we'll get fixed, but nothing that's troubling.

We met someone at Lazy Days who was all over our Tour. He may have bought it. That 42QD is one great coach, so I hope he's happy with it.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:42 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like you made the right choice! Congrats!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 03:01 PM   #13

There seems to be two trends: 1) upsizing and 2) downsizing. For example, one couple had a 40+ and went to 24 Pleasure Way.

I'm planning on buying a 34 ft rv for cash, but I can also live overseas for about $2,000 a month at 3 or 4 months at a go, in a lot of places like Ecuador, Panama, Vietnam, Thailand, China, so dividing that into $100,000 is like 50 months, not counting airfare, and that 50 months covers around 15+ years more or less, one international stay a year. Hard decision, maybe, maybe not.

Not easy making these decisions, especially when we feel we have to justify ourselves, when we really don't have to.

RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote