Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2010, 06:53 AM   #1

Concerns About 2008 Orphan

My wife and I originally wanted to spend around round $100,000 on a used diesel pusher. We wanted either a Tiffin, Winnebago or Newmar product. With that said, I am getting tired of looking at used coaches. Either they want too much, they have water damage or a combination of both. We are now broadening our search and looking at new leftovers. We can get either a 2008 Fleetwood Providence on a freightliner chassis or a 2008 Monaco Knight on a 8 bag roadmaster chassis for the same price of $155,000. We do like the Monaco better but I am concerned about lack of dealers in my area, parts availability and resale value if we ever did decide to sell it. Both units have the same floorplan but I like the Monaco's passthrough storage and fiberglass roof. Any input would be appreciated.
Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2010, 06:54 AM   #2

One more thing, I would be purchasing a extended warranty for either one.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:27 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Hedgehog

I purchased an orphan 2008 HR Endeavor, and also purchased a Monaco Extended Care (MEC) warranty. I paid for years 2 thru 5 and the dealer paid for the 1st year. So far I haven't had many problems, just minor stuff. If you are good at doing some of your own repairs, you can save a lot of $$$.

i was concerned about lack of support from Monaco, but their tech support has been great about answering any questions or concerns that I have had. I wouldn't hesitate about buying that way again.

Dennis
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:44 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
One thing to consider with a new "Orphan"

Most of the "extended warranties" (breakdown policies) do NOT cover "Manufacturer Defects" but cover mechanical failure.....

Plan on a 2-3 day PDI and "live" in the RV for that time, use EVERY switch, gage, feature, etc...(several times) use the city water, storage water, propane, EVERYTHING, even if you don't need it...Get the selling dealer to fix anything that doesn't work as it should, BEFORE you hand over the check or sign the paper.

If any system is not operable or broken, due to manufacturer error, the "warranty" will most likely NOT pay for it....Ensure that the dealer puts"in writing" that they will fix any manufacturers defects for a certain period of time..

If not THINK

....how much will it cost to get a mis-wired coach rewired? or how much will it cost to have a leaking windshield or roof replaced? or how much will it cost to have incorrect plumbing repaired? or a non-functional hydrohot?....
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:10 PM   #5

I tried getting a better price but as it stands right now, it is $155,000 with 4.99% financing. Is that a good deal of should I keep looking?
Old 05-20-2010, 07:26 PM   #6

just wanted to know is there a extended service agreement that does cover manufacturer defects and how do you find out?

Thanks
maccorgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:56 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccorgi View Post
just wanted to know is there a extended service agreement that does cover manufacturer defects and how do you find out?

Thanks
Other than a "manufacturer's warranty", I have heard of no such thing.
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:38 PM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hedgehog, best of luck with the purchase. We really only have 2 dealerships wiew thin 50+ miles, so it's very limited. The first showed me one -two used, and then an entire
tour of new product, which we weren't financially prepared to do. The second dealership showed me 6-7 used, no new ones, and proceeded to give a great trade in price, paid in full 5-year service plan (national company), good loan terms (not as good as yours), and really earned our business.
Purplefans & Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:29 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Hedgehog,
Haven't dealt with them personally but PPL Motorhomes seems to have a large selection of used (no new) MHs on thier website. I think they are around Houston, TX.
dmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:03 PM   #10

I've looked at there website but it seems the prices are higher than I am looking at in a new leftover.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:31 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Hedgehog
I was just looking at the CW web site, and saw a 2008 Dip 40PDQ with about 5600 miles on it for $156k. Looks like a good deal, it is in Mesa, AZ.

Dennis
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote